Immigration | Jerrold Nadler | News

Video: Rep. Jerrold Nadler Reintroduces Uniting American Families Act to Secure LGBT Immigration Equality

Uafa

Today outside the U.S. Capitol, Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D- NY) announced the reintroduction of the Uniting American Families Act, which would secure immigration rights for same-sex couples.

Said Nadler: "Today thousands of committed same-sex couples are needlessly suffering because of unequal treatment under our immigration laws, and this is an outrage...Our Constitution guarantees that no class of people will be singled out for differential treatment -- and LGBT Americans should not and must not be excluded from that guarantee. [The policy is] gratuitously cruel."

The bill was introduced with nearly 100 co-sponsors.

Senator Pat Leahy introduced the same bill in the Senate.

Watch Nadler introduce and explain the bill, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I really really hope that this goes somewhere. I am in a relationship with another gay male since 2004. I am Portuguese and met my partner while on a J1 visa in the USA (he is American). After my visa expired he left his life beyond and moved with me to Canada. He has been unable to find a job here and after two years is moving back to the US. I, will have to stay here! This legislation could correct this situation and many others! I hope it goes somewhere!

Posted by: encantospeed | Apr 14, 2011 8:01:15 PM

2. @encantospeed I hope so too. Thanks for your courage. The USA should be a great country welcoming you.

Posted by: Philo | Apr 14, 2011 9:29:18 PM

3. More Democratic kabuki.

Two years ago, the House Dems could have walked the walked.

Now, they only talk the talk.

The Dems have now become just another incarnation of the useless HRC.

Posted by: Continuum | Apr 14, 2011 9:37:20 PM

4. Hey Continuum... I think I know what you're trying to say; politics is the dirtiest business, isn't it? But in this case you're a little off base. This bill in one form or another has been introduced by Nadler year after year (maybe 10 years in a row by now). So while I'm not exactly a ra-ra-go-Dems! kind of guy, I do still remember that for all their faults they are still much much better than Republican douchebags.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 14, 2011 10:50:43 PM

5. After 10 years of jumping thru hoops, bringing lots of pension and investments to the US, including real health care, we are finally moving to my home country Germany.
    I can't stand it any more and I give up...
    My American husband (we are life partners for 10 years now) will follow: we will enjoy all the rights everyelse enjoys... without NOM, Santorum, Trump, Beck, Bachmann, Perkins, Fisher... and the disappointing Democrats.

Posted by: Martin FLL | Apr 14, 2011 11:05:10 PM

6. Hey Martin quit your crying and leave already.

Posted by: DAVID | Apr 15, 2011 12:16:07 AM

7. In my lifetime I never thought I'd see the day when schools, at least in urban areas, would be accepting of gays or cool to have a gay friend or even see girls cheer on a same-sex couple of TV. It is frustrating that things move slowly thru our government we have to be persistent in order for people to see and understand that we are here to stay.

Recently I heard the account of a friend of mine where their relationship ended and wasn't given the chance to reach it's potential because one of them had to go go back to the UK.

I remember 20 years ago being offered a LOT of money if I married an immigrant and help her stay in this country, we wouldn't have sex but we would just go thru the motions and complete our agreement. Though my heart broke for her I couldn't do it and feel like I could be caught and thrown in jail.

This is just one account, there area many and they need to be heard and understand the turmoil these laws cause. So as long as we keep on making some noise and heard there's hope that one day we will be equal not only here but around the world.

Information regarding this subject can be found at

Posted by: Joey Diaz | Apr 15, 2011 1:42:43 AM

8. To David, Your comments about Martin are wrong and not deserved. I have the same situation. I cannot sponsor my partner here but he can sponsor me in Brazil. so we have to leave and live in another country while our investments are here. Under current laws gays are being screwed. I suggest you read up on the current situation.

Posted by: chris | Apr 15, 2011 9:16:59 AM

9. Many may be familiar with recent development with Immigration Services about not denying green card applications to married gay couples. That seemed like the most realistic solution under the circumstances. Unfortunately, immigration services changed their mind in matter of days. Please write your congressmen, senators and most importatly Janet Napolitano to reintroduce this meassure.

Posted by: MSquare | Apr 16, 2011 6:18:28 PM