Japan | Pets | Tsunami

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Tsunami Dog Rescued at Sea is Reunited with Owner

Ban

Ban, a dog which was rescued last week atop debris in the Pacific Ocean three weeks after the tsunami hit northern Japan, has been reunited with its owner.

Kyodo news:

"After watching a TV news report on the rescue, the owner of the female dog visited the animal care center where she was being looked after, to take her back. 'We'll never let go of her,' the owner was quoted as saying by a center official, while the dog happily wagged her tail when the owner appeared."

Watch the reunion, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Atlantic ocean? that debris pile sure floated a long way in three weeks...

Posted by: BENJAMIN | Apr 4, 2011 10:41:58 AM

2. What a wonderful sequence. For us Westerners, the polite, unemotional countenance of the Japanese seems strange in the face of such disaster, but the obvious joyous emotion of the dog and its owner shows us that they are just as moved as the rest of us.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 4, 2011 10:56:53 AM

3. I very rarely cry (or comment here), but the raw happiness of the dog and owner has got my eyes watery! I am such a sucker for animals now that I have cats of my own.

Posted by: Richard | Apr 4, 2011 11:59:33 AM

4. To see that scared face in the rescue video then the reunion video just fills the heart with that wonderful feeling.

Posted by: Tony | Apr 4, 2011 2:19:15 PM

5. i can barely go 3 hours without my dog, i can't imagine being separated for 3 weeks. what a great vid.

Posted by: EO | Apr 4, 2011 4:19:43 PM

6. There are millions of horrible stories in this disaster. For us animal lovers, there are few that start out so heart breaking and end so heart warming.

Looks like the Japanese media knew this was a big story the way the camera and audio men jostle for position when the dog comes off the boat.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 4, 2011 4:38:35 PM

7. LOVED this. Dogs rule..animals have a sense of compassion most humans (as obvious by the nati gay stories read here) can't even begin to understand. Pet owners know the joy and unconditional love granted to us by our pet friends. They mean the world to many of us and brighten our world on a daily basis.

Posted by: Dynex | Apr 4, 2011 11:03:22 PM

8. Dogs are the BEST! I can only imagine how empty my life would be without my loving miniature schnauzer Abby. She is an amazing companion and is adored by my partner and I. The unconditional love of a dog is incredible and to not know that love would be very sad indeed.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Apr 5, 2011 1:39:24 AM