News | Robert Mugabe | Zimbabwe

BigGayDeal.com

Zimbabwe President Mugabe Condemns 'Gay Filth' of Europe

Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe attacked Western countries that have imposed an asset freeze and travel ban on him by suggesting he doesn't care and condemning their acceptance of homosexuality.

Mugabe Said Mugabe:

"We don't worry ourselves about the goings-on in Europe. About the unnatural things happening there, where they turn man-to-man and woman-to-woman. We say, well, it's their country. If they want to call their country British Gaydom, it's up to them. That's not our culture. We condemn that filth. We get alarmed when these countries have the audacity to schedule us as an item to discuss in their parliament."

LAst July, Mugabe vowed to not include rights for gays in a new draft of the country's constitution. He also took the time to once again compare gays to pigs and dogs.

Comments

1. He's 89. This isn't going to last much longer.

Posted by: anon | Apr 14, 2011 1:30:38 PM

2. I came here expecting the troll ratio to be higher, but I am absolutely breathless with what I'm reading right now. Lovin it <3

Posted by: Jesus | Apr 14, 2011 1:33:08 PM

3. rick steve and your fellow kkk gays

Mugabe is a pig for sure and you miss the point of pointing out zimbabwe's past pre colonialism

Your racsim does not solve the issue of mugabe being a pig or alleviate the suffering of zimbabwe gays

As derek from philly said this only affects black gays so cry your false river of tears somewhere else, you obviously don't care about what happens to them

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 14, 2011 1:34:39 PM

4. Also, Andy, can you make a note of the fact that this slime ball made these remarks AT A FUNERAL? Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: Jesus | Apr 14, 2011 1:35:59 PM

5. @Derrick

It is evident that colonialism and the subsequent partitioning of Africa along largely arbitrary lines that were convenient to European powers had significant impacts on Africa. There comes a point, however, when Africa and its descendants in the United States and Europe must become primarily responsible for their own circumstances.

It has been nearly one hundred and fifty years since any person was held in bondage in the United States, and very nearly fifty years since the civil rights acts made segregation a thing of the past. In the context of the African continent it has been forty years or more in most cases since independence was granted by the dominant European powers. To continue to simply blame European whites for the troubles of the continent or its descendants is intellectually lazy at best and at worst a dismissal of any realistic search for solutions.

The time for recriminations and reparations is quickly coming to a close if it has not already. I believe you will find that the sympathy of white America has been mostly exhausted.

What is needed in Africa and in the African-American communities is a cultural shift that can only be accomplished from within. Perhaps the cycle of destructive behaviors began with European colonialism and slavery but its continuance after fifty years of affirmative action in the United States and foreign aid to Africa is entirely the responsibility of the respective communities.

You can gnash your teeth and decry the inequities of European civilization (I include the United States as descendant civilization) but no civilization before it has gone so far in an effort to correct its perceived past errors as Europeans and Americans have done. I personally find it unlikely that the global civilizations that rise to replace them will do as much when they inevitably make their own great mistakes.

TLDR Version: It happened. It is over. Reparations have been made by the West and continue to be made. It is time to move on.

Posted by: Kas | Apr 14, 2011 1:48:29 PM

6. Amen, KAS. Amen.

Posted by: C | Apr 14, 2011 1:58:00 PM

7. KAS,

I never have to gnash my teeth because I'm aware of non-Eurocentric versions of history. I don't depend on white racist versions of African history or your version of the history of Africans in the Western Hemisphere.

If you believe that slavery ended in the United States with the end of the Civil War then that shows how little you know about the history of race in America. Defacto forms of slavery continued throughout the South well up until the mid-twentieh century. I read an article the other day about young black men being falsely arrested and sent to forced labor camps in the South, and that was decades after the Emancipation Proclamation.

"I believe you will find that the sympathy of white America has been mostly exhausted."

That's another great American myth. For most of you (including White American Gays) that sympathy was never there.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 14, 2011 2:13:25 PM

8. Newsflash: one cannot comment about anything black/african/african-american and be correct. Derrick from Philly is only allowed to do that. Anything someone says will always be wrong (even if you're 100% correct, as in Kas' case).

On an unrelated story, Whitey's oppression made Kobe Bryant call that referee a fag. It's a fact.

Posted by: C | Apr 14, 2011 2:20:45 PM

9. @ Derrick

I believe it relevant to this discussion to point out that my primary blood line is Native American (Catawba to be precise) not European white.

To put it mildly I believe I did reference the end of segregation and the Jim Crow system as being nearly fifty years in the past. There is no appreciable measure by which the African-American community can continue to shift the blame for its own circumstances to the white community.

It may surprise you to learn that I am a supporter of affirmative action programs and continued aid to the most impoverished people regardless of race. In short I am a card carrying bleeding heart liberal. This does not mean that I believe that the blame game can continue ad infinitum.

Also to answer the charge that I am ignorant of history I feel obliged, by ego if nothing else, to point out that I am a graduate student with undergraduate degrees in both history and political science.

Posted by: Kas | Apr 14, 2011 2:27:22 PM

10. It's just ironic that someone who's race has a history of slavery would be denigrating and enslaving another race( which is sort of what we are). Where is the humility??

Posted by: Ty | Apr 14, 2011 2:34:04 PM

11. kas you are a fool

"........There is no appreciable measure by which the African-American community can continue to shift the blame for its own circumstances to the white community..."

I can name just 1 which then of course using the scientific method dismisses your entire hypothesis (the scientific method requires only 1 example of proving a hypothesis false to nullify the hypothesis in tot till the scientist spends time reworking theory hypothesis to better match reality)

The current US criminal justice system and education system

We spend more on prisons than we do on education

We place more african american males in prison for petty things than any white white collar criminals. Not 1 bankster has gone to jail yet for the great american heist in fact we abetted the criminals by bailing them out/ bailing out the banks. bernie madoff does not count due to the fact his crime had nothing to do with financial melt down and was something else entirely = a ponzi scheme

There is no explanation for this except racism and oppresion of african american males

Well , actually an argument could be made that it is based on race and CLASS for their are more poor whites in jail for unpaid speeding tickets than their are rich white bankers who brought the us economy to the brink of disaster.........and how many enron execs actually ended up in jail for stealling little old ladies retirement accounts?

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 14, 2011 2:42:34 PM

12. @DERRICK: "We place more african american males in prison for petty things..."

If you're interested, let me know: I'd love to buy you a one-way ticket to Harare.

Posted by: C | Apr 14, 2011 2:59:34 PM

13. @ MSTROZFCKSLV

Let me open by saying everything that I am about to say is based entirely on colloquial data. It is my opinion based off what I have read in traditional news outlets as well as personal experience in an educational setting. I'd love to do some serious research on the topic at some point but I have not as of yet had an opportunity to do so.

Also, MSTRO, If we wish to start name calling I could come up with some interesting ones but I think you'd prefer we keep this at least mostly civil.

I tend to disagree with your analysis. The criminal justice system is a well known example of a situation that evinces the inequality in the circumstances that African-Americans currently find themselves in. My argument is not that the circumstances of all of America's races are equal, that would be a denial of reality. My argument is that the African-American community cannot continue to blame the white community for those circumstances.

The causes of higher rates of African-American imprisonment can be debated but to me it seems far more likely that economic and cultural triggers play a far greater role than racism on the part of judicial authorities.

There seem to be a number of disturbing trends in African-American culture that contribute to this situation. For example, education in general and higher education in particular do not seem to be particularly valued among African-American males in certain economic groups. Indeed when we begin examining African-American society in general we see an interesting tendency of late to form a sort of female dominated society in which African-American females run both the households and are the primary bread winners.

I suppose there are those that would argue that this is a direct result of some perceived racial discrimination. I would argue that instead it is a series of poor life choices brought about by a culture that does not properly place an emphasis on education and personal enrichment.

The question posed by the criminal justice system is an interesting one to be sure. I think it will take a great deal of research to properly ascertain all of the contributing factors to the situation. That having been said, I stand by my original position that African-Americans cannot continue to simply blame white Americans for their current situation.

I suppose I have an ulterior motive for making that statement so consistently. So long as African-Americans persist in blaming whites for all of their present difficulties it allows them in their own minds to absolve themselves of personal responsibility. If you do not feel responsible for your present circumstances then why should you feel responsible for improving them?

Posted by: Kas | Apr 14, 2011 3:10:28 PM

14. 'Newsflash: one cannot comment about anything black/african/african-american and be correct. Derrick from Philly is only allowed to do that. Anything someone says will always be wrong (even if you're 100% correct, as in Kas' case)."

Oh, come, come, C. You make me chuckle. I'm not that important...but somebody's got to answer the racist crap used to insult all African people because of the ridiculous slurs coming out the mouth of a senile old murderous dictator.

"@DERRICK: 'We place more african american males in prison for petty things...'
    I don't consider assault/battery/theft to be petty things. Last time I checked, no one (white or black) is in jail for jaywalking or anything truly petty. That's what civil court is for...."

Whatchu' talkin' 'bout, C? I think you have me confused a much more intelligent crusader for truth on this blog.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 14, 2011 3:32:23 PM

15. Of course he could care less about anyone other than himself. The people are being robbed by him and he knows any sanctions will not effect his own "filthy" lifestyle. He is a monster.

Posted by: ewe | Apr 14, 2011 3:37:31 PM

16. Kas

I'll admit that calling you a fool might be a bit of flash over from the other posts mentioning grass huts , ape, etc

Derrick

petty things = lets take possession of pot for example. On any given weekend one could go to every university in the US and round up at least 100 white males for possession, but our jails are not overflowing with such .........and they would be if there wasn't a racial and class profiling aspect to arrests pertaining to pot possession

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 14, 2011 3:44:45 PM

17. PS

i meant 100 white males arrested per every university thus any weekend would see thousands upon thousand upon thousands of white males atending universities being arrested for pot possesion

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 14, 2011 3:46:21 PM

18. mstrozfckslv & Derrick from Philly: You guys are my b!tches. making great points left and right.

unfortunately for us, Rick seems to be an incorrigible KKK knuckle-dragging albino (hehe) ape. I've been dealing with him today on another thread, where I gave him some things to consider, and he merely came over here to start some similar shyt.

Derrick, you raised the amazing point that [paraphrased] all blacks and Africans need to know our history as a diaspora so that we know how amazing our cultures and achievements have been and so that focks like Rick and their lies and hate do not affect our sense of self-worth. Great point that I hadn't considered in such clear terms. My fiance and I (both black) are planning to have a family in the next two years (much to a racist like Rick's disgust, I'm sure) and I will be thinking about such issues as part of their education.

Posted by: redball | Apr 14, 2011 4:35:48 PM

19. thank god im not european...

Posted by: kristian | Apr 14, 2011 5:09:58 PM

20. And yet...when oil rich Muslim nations kill gays and lesbians and subjugate women that's just that crazy religion of peace...

Posted by: Rin | Apr 14, 2011 5:54:48 PM

21. Just trying to catch up here...All things European and masculine are faggotry based and so lesser than any and all notions of masculinity posited by any and all "persons of color", especially a black man? Excuse me, especially a murderous dictating black man? And that's since he's the owner of black man's sperm and no worthy man has ever been anything but black? Or something. I'm intrigued, you know as a white devil and stuff. Thanks in advance for any help, not-cocksuckers-not-in-a-million-years, better than-white-apes-who-walk-on-the-moon-and-make-stuff!

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Apr 14, 2011 10:12:54 PM

22. It's always so disappointing to see the racists emerge, as they always seem to do. A gay racist is a total moron. All racists are, of course, but being gay and hating a group of people for a trait beyond their control that means nothing about them...well, that's a sad, sad lack of self-awareness.

You could argue that a lot of LGBTs would have been far more successful were they not subjected to cultural, familial, and other pressures. Of course, a lot of LGBTs can hide it, which is often why they're able to be famous businesspeople, performers, etc.---the live lies. People of color can't hide themselves.

As for colonialism, of course it has long tentacles. African countries have long been and continue to be used for their natural resources, and any payments or aid they've received have gone to horribly corrupt leader who siphoned it off. Hopefully the revolutions in the Middle East and North Africa will have an ongoing regional sway---but it's harder in Sub-Saharan Africa, where many are cut off from education and/or any source of news.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 15, 2011 6:22:44 AM

23. And yet another nutball obsessed with gay sex. What is with this weird obsession with some people?

Posted by: mike31c | Apr 15, 2011 6:25:38 PM