Daniel O'Donnell | Gay Marriage | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Assemblyman Daniel O'Donnell Introduces Bill to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage in New York

Assemblyman Daniel O'Donnell (pictured)has introduced a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in New York, the Times Union's Jimmy Vielkind:

Odonnell It’s unclear whether it will advance through the Assembly (or whether Speaker Sheldon Silver might wait for the Cuomo bill, or whether there’s a switch-a-roo….) but O’Donnell included this sentence after the happy quotes in his press release: “In order to ensure the bill has the time necessary to be taken up by the Assembly before the end of this year’s session, Assembly Member O’Donnell plans to circulate A7600 among his colleagues for co-sponsorship until May 25th.”

We’ll see how the next two weeks go. To me, this indicates something of a rift between legislators who have been championing the bill — O’Donnell and Sen. Tom Duane — and the new lobbying front, with which Cuomo is closely coordinating.

City Room has more:

Gay rights advocates gathered in Albany on Monday to rally near the Capitol and to lobby legislators individually. Lawmakers in both chambers had been deferring to Mr. Cuomo, who has made legalizing same-sex marriage a top priority and this week began a statewide tour to bolster support for that and other issues, to introduce his own bill. But at a time when no Senate Republican has yet voiced support for a same-sex marriage bill — and prospects for victory seem uncertain at best — Mr. Cuomo has held off, with the apparent support of advocates and Senate Democrats who support the bill.

“It is obvious that now, more than ever before, the people cannot, and will not, wait any longer for our government to enshrine equality for all in our state’s laws,” Mr. O’Donnell said in a statement.

The bill is live here.

Meanwhile, the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) has introduced a new ad and pledging $500,000 for advertising and lobbying. NOM has pledged another $1 million to oppose candidates who support marriage equality in the 2012 elections.

Watch NOM's ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. as someone from capitolonline notes, the ad seems very similar (ie identical) to the on they used back in 09. and clearly it looks more national, than new york specific. either way, i hope our side is smart about answering these attack ads.
    as for o'donnell, cuomo, and duane, i seriously hope that they realize this is much bigger than individuals; i hope they act in coordination, with the sole goal of getting this passed. if hrc, espa, meny, lcr and all the others can join forces, o'donnell and cuomo best do the same.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | May 10, 2011 6:54:24 PM

2. Hmm, lots of ethnics! They mean business!

And good luck to you all...the relentless but very pro-active hate in your country towards gays using christianity is phenomenal.

Literally.

It's shocking and I applaud your strength. I'm insane with anger over what our Conservative government keep on trying to cut but if I had to live through this hate as a gay man? Huh.

But then you guys are used to free speech so I shouldn't assume your as thin skinned as some of us here!

Posted by: Rowan | May 10, 2011 6:58:04 PM

3. We need mega donors of our own to counter NOM's threat with a pledge to give $1.1 million to the opponent of any candidate that NOM gives $1 million to.

I know this looks a lot like buying elections but if we don't start fight fire with fire instead of trying to be righteous, we'll continue to lose these campaigns. And I for one am sick and tired of losing to these lying assholes.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 10, 2011 7:06:56 PM

4. Come on, New York. You can do it for real this time.

Posted by: Max | May 10, 2011 7:08:01 PM

5. Is it just me, or did that seem especially 'dark'?

Posted by: me | May 10, 2011 7:33:37 PM

6. No. No. No.

We CANNOT answer this ad THE SAME D**N WAY we did in Maine and California. I see it coming, but it's STUPID. The whole "school's won't change" may be true...but saying it over and over again DOES NOT HELP US. It avoids the real bias which WILL NOT LEAVE VIEWERS MINDS after they see that commercial.

This ad gives marriage equality proponents the microphone in the media. If those proponents use that chance to spew STUPID MEANINGLESS UN-BELIEVED (even if true) soundbites, there's no freakin point.

Instead, use the moment to get CREDIBLE and REAL with people already.

Seeds of a better response... (And yes, this means getting REAL rather than simply calculating poll numbers, playing safe.):

School's are a separate issue from this bill. But...[explain how it is NO BIG DEAL for a kid to learn about his classmates' GAY PARENTS in school; that it happens in New York schools all the time ANYWAY; that better the message come from informed and responsible teachers than whispering on the schoolyard, possibly with a sexually-abusive tinge; that youth BULLYING is supported when students only even HEAR about anything gay from whispering and taunts on the playground; etc.]

I may not have every message down exactly right here, and I'm no sound-bite manufacturer...but the cruxt of what I'm saying seems hard to rebut.

I know it takes balls and knowledge and perspective (plus facts, evidence, the right REAL PEOPLE etc.) to put such honest content out there...and I'm no ad-maker. And MAYBE it won't win THIS time. BUT. I'm pretty darn confident that the above hateful ad will carry REMARKABLE results until we can say effectively "So what if it did" in response to it. (And never mind that it doesn't even.)

Cuz I guarantee EVERY kid in New York state elementary schools has heard "f**got" and "that's so gay" A GAZILLION TIMES. And prolly most of them have whispered to each other about the intimate aspects of GAY SEX derisively. Please.

And I guarantee TONS of gay parents have children in the NY public schools. WHY SHAME THOSE PARENTS and their kids!?

Just my two cents. Y'all are prolly inclined to just follow the less-direct failed Maine and California playbook on this one.

But maybe I'm right, eh?

Posted by: just_a_guy | May 10, 2011 10:20:45 PM

7. O'Donnell is Rosie O'Donnell's brother. He represents Morningside Heights and portions of the upper west side and Harlem.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 11, 2011 10:07:23 AM