Chaz Bono | David Letterman | News | Transgender

Watch: Chaz Bono Schools David Letterman on His Transition

Letterman

We spend a lot of time dinging late night hosts for disrespectful questions and unfunny jokes about LGBT people.

So, it deserves noting when they deliver a lengthy, warm, respectful, funny, adult interview about complex issues, such as the one David Letterman gave to Chaz Bono last night about his transition. Chaz's ability to communicate his story should be lauded as well.

Says Letterman: "Thank you for your patience. I learned quite a lot." As did his audience, I'm sure.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(thanks to our tipster matt)

In related news, The Advocate has a cover story on Chaz.

Comments

1. Kudos to Letterman and Chaz. This is a truly amazing interview.

Posted by: Frank Selvaggi | May 12, 2011 9:21:24 AM

2. Chaz has really become a great spokesperson for Trans peeps.

And Dave, clearly saw an opportunity to help open the eyes of the world.

Dave & Cher are always hilarious together & I'm sure he wanted to deliver for that friendship as well.

It was a terrific interview. btw, Chaz's gf is babe!

Posted by: Pete n SFO | May 12, 2011 9:26:25 AM

3. Cher has taught Dave a thing or two over the years. He really has grown up.

Posted by: MammaBear | May 12, 2011 9:35:37 AM

4. As I watched this interview, I kept thinking, "This would NEVER happen on Leno."

Posted by: Doug Chgo | May 12, 2011 10:00:09 AM

5. wow, that was a great interview. Chaz is very well spoken and should help out the trans community greatly.

Posted by: Brad | May 12, 2011 10:00:11 AM

6. Impressive work from both of them, this is a media milestone big time.

Posted by: Matt | May 12, 2011 10:00:45 AM

7. It's always great when someone is a spokesman for the LGBT community and they're actually really good at it. Chaz took a complicated life that could have just as easily defeated him and turned it around and is using it to help other people. Very impressed and happy for him.

Posted by: justme | May 12, 2011 10:05:28 AM

8. Brilliant. Informative. Ground Breaking and Heroic.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | May 12, 2011 10:14:40 AM

9. I just got a new respect for both Chaz and David Letterman - an intelligent, articulate discussion about the situation with trans people. A great interview.

BTW - I like the fact that he says that being trans isn't about being gay or lesbian. I've always felt uncomfortable that trans people were lumped in with the GL communities. It's not the same thing, folks.

Posted by: Steve | May 12, 2011 10:42:01 AM

10. Thanks for the newsflash, Steve. Trans people and gay people aren't the same thing. Who woulda thought?

Your prejudices must have made you skip the part where Chaz says that the struggles of trans people and gay people are the same. That's the point. That's why there's a "T" in LGBT.

We settled this "debate" twenty years ago. Try to catch up. Seriously.

On a purely superficial note, Chaz could not possibly be more adorable.

Posted by: ohplease | May 12, 2011 11:06:04 AM

11. This was a wonderful interview. It took me back to when I was 27 yr old (42 today) and a dear friend came out as Trans. I was very confused at what it meant and the conversation was some what like this interview. It took a number of more questions and long talks but I felt more informed and understood why as a community we are LGBT.

Posted by: Maverick69 | May 12, 2011 11:07:20 AM

12. Letterman has come a long way, very respectful, and Chaz is a good spokesman.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 12, 2011 11:13:48 AM

13. Bravo!

Posted by: La Garza | May 12, 2011 11:32:46 AM

14. Has anyone else wondered if part of Cher having a hard time is because Chaz now sounds SO MUCH like Sonny Bono? I can't get over it, it's almost the same voice.

Also agree with everyone else: amazing work for articulate visibility and education! Kudos to Chaz (and Dave).

Posted by: Jeff | May 12, 2011 1:09:04 PM

15. Regarding the "which bathroom" question and answer: Why would anyone think it odd for someone to be waiting for a bathroom stall and then sitting on the toilet? That's why they are there.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 12, 2011 1:10:44 PM

16. FINALLY! A positive post about Letterman. Still, you act like this is a new-found attitude but Dave has been cool with us (and transgender people) for many years. He is a person to emulate and a true role-model that judges no one.

Posted by: schlootie | May 12, 2011 1:17:47 PM

17. way to go, but wheres his neck?

Posted by: Mattsy | May 12, 2011 1:33:36 PM

18. Pretty good Chaz I will forgive you for saying to Eonline you want to give advice to Brad and Angie about their 4yo tomboy daughter Shiloh. Tomboy does not always equal to gender identity issues

Posted by: Kim | May 12, 2011 1:36:49 PM

19. Chaz is awesome - David Letterman is awesome too... great interview. Can't imagine Jay Leno having the balls to interview Chaz - he'd just make juvenile cracks every 15 seconds. Letterman showed just how classy he can be. Nice work.

Posted by: Tre | May 12, 2011 1:41:20 PM

20. I wish I felt positively about this, but I don't. Chaz Bono is spreading a lot of misconceptions about what it means to be Transgender. You don't need surgery to be legitimate in your gender identity; there's no such thing as being born in "the wrong body"! If God, who is Transgender, wants to give breasts and vaginas to some men, or penises to some women, who are we to second-guess those blessings?

Stereotypical clothing choices notwithstanding, Chaz does not look like a biological man! He looks Transgender, which is how he's always looked, in my opinion. Nobody agrees with me, I know, but I think it's wrong for us to force ourselves into binary gender roles and bodies. That's not what nature intended! The Transgender body is beautiful, but the heterosexist way we think about trans identity is anything but.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 12, 2011 3:11:59 PM

21. Not on team "Chaz". Still a lying and lazy publicity hound.

Posted by: Manfred | May 12, 2011 4:53:48 PM

22. Wow. Impressive, serious, and amazingly lengthy (by late-night teevee standards) interview. Chaz for leader of the GLBT community! That is all.

Posted by: TimInHouston | May 12, 2011 8:06:38 PM

23. I've always thought Dave was underrated as an interviewer, especially when he tackles "serious" topics (political and social issues) and isn't just throwing out softball banter to Julia Roberts. I really think for health reasons Chaz needs to lose weight.

Posted by: topsyturvy | May 12, 2011 8:26:06 PM

24. Chaz has been all over the dial all week (He's on CNN's Piers Morgan as I type), and he is going to single-handedly educate tens of millions of people and change minds.

Practically everyone in the world knows his mother, and most Americans of a certain age feel like they knew and loved Chaz himself when he was known as little Chastity.

Never before has any transgendered person had the advantage of having America's childhood memories on his side in the way that Chaz does.

The way he is stepping out is going to be looked back upon as a big milestone, and we may very well speak in the future of America's "pre-Chaz" and "post-Chaz" attitudes toward transgendered people.

As for Letterman, he did a great job and asked sincere questions that needed to be answered.
    Still, I don't know why some people have such a hard time letting fairly simple facts sink in.
    After he'd already had it explained 5 minutes before that sexual orientation and gender identity are separate entities and that one does not predict the other, he asked about whether there might be people who are "living as if they were homosexuals but are actually transgendered."
    The (obvious) answer is yes, and that there are also people who are viewed by their neighbors as heterosexuals but in reality are transgendered.

Posted by: gregv | May 13, 2011 12:02:39 AM

25. I thought this was an amazing interview.

Posted by: james Brown | May 13, 2011 12:14:38 AM