I'm Gay | Jared Max | News | Radio | Sports

ESPN New York Radio Host Jared Max: 'I Am Gay'

Jared Max, one of the best-known voices in New York sports radio and current ESPN New York 1050 morning host of 'Maxed Out in the Morning', came out of the closet this morning after talking about the other sports figures who have come out of the closet this week.

Max Said Max (my transcript):

"Are we ready to have our sports information delivered by someone who is gay? Well we are gonna find out. Because for the last 16 years, I've been living a free life among my close friends and family, and I've hidden behind what is a gargantuan sized secret here in the sports world. I am gay. Yeah. Jared Max. The sports guy who is one of the most familiar faces in New York sports isn't quite like the majority. And while you already knew I was a little different, this might help make sense of it. But more so, I’m taking this courageous jump into the unknown having no idea how I will be perceived..."

Listen to the powerful seven and a half minute segment, HERE.

(h/t Outsports)

Comments

1. It's amazing how inspiring it is to me each time someone comes out. Thank you.

Posted by: mike128 | May 19, 2011 9:20:09 PM

2. Um...I'm so sending a fan email.

Posted by: Fifi FuBball | May 19, 2011 9:34:59 PM

3. congrats Jared--takes guts especially in New York sports. Folks there can be vicious but you have lots of supporters out here.

Posted by: A.W. | May 19, 2011 10:31:03 PM

4. Congrats Jared.... Yes, it is a good new world. Everyone can walk more freely in being themselves and we will all be, straight, gay, whatever, the richer in life for the truth. I came out at 57 and love my life, freinds, family more than ever. And it all leads you to a place in your heart where you can now really, really be patient, empathetic and graceful toward others. Sincerely, Rick in Pasadena, Ca

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2011 12:42:03 AM

5. way to go Jared! i hope, through his story, that minds will be changed that not all gay men are lisping, limp wristed, pink-wearing stereotypes that the media makes us out to be. we are an amazing, diverse community that deserves to be recognized! good for him!

Posted by: pitluver | May 20, 2011 4:58:37 AM

6. Jared Max you are a hero to millions of kids hiding in the closet from social pressure.....Stay true to yourself...Love.

Posted by: Rosario | May 20, 2011 9:59:36 PM

7. Thank you Jared Max .. I salute you and will enjoy listening to your show more now and with pride.

Posted by: Ron | May 23, 2011 2:43:34 PM