Kansas | Westboro Baptist Church

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Lisa Lampanelli Confronts Westboro Baptist Church Protesters Outside Of Her Show, Donates $44K To AIDS Group

Lisa
When those endlessly protesting bigots at the Westboro Baptist Church announced they would picket Lisa Lampanelli's show in Topeka yesterday, the comedienne promised to donate $1,000 to the Gay Men's Health Crisis for each member of the church who participated in the protest.

By the end of the night, a total of 44 of the haters had showed up and Lampanelli tweeted that she will give $44,000 to the AIDS service group in the church's name. The CEO of the Gay Men's Health Crisis said this about her unique strategy: "Lampanelli is holding up a mirror to bigotry and hatred, and reflecting back love and generosity."

Watch her along with pro gay supporters chant at the church protesters, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. That's a huge sum of money for someone who can't make that much. Hope she follows through on it.

Though as nice as this is, I also think it's perverse. What if the "church" had mobilized 500 people and made it a massive protest? It would have made them look really powerful, and it's very unlikely that she'd fork over $500K. I could very easily see WBC using this kind of reverse psychology to either financially drain some or our supporters or make them look like liars when they can't provide the money they promised.

It's just hard for me to get super excited about anything that might make WBC protests bigger.

Posted by: Paul R | May 21, 2011 9:24:05 PM

2. Lisa Lampanelli's "fag jokes" are far more pernicious than anything done by WBC. Whereas Fred Phelps is taken seriously by no one, Lampanelli is given prime time television on major channels to further the notion that gay people are to be laughed at. Moreover, I'm sure that opposition to WBC has raised at least $40,000 for gay rights causes, if not more.

Posted by: I'm God | May 21, 2011 9:28:39 PM

3. Though, my previous comment notwithstanding, I agree that WBC has done an enormous amount to advance gay rights in the US. So my feelings are decidedly mixed.

Posted by: Paul R | May 21, 2011 9:29:46 PM

4. The "bigoted" words she uses don't bother me; I simply don't find her funny. I do appreciate her support and donation.

Posted by: Mason | May 21, 2011 10:45:36 PM

5. This is truly inspired. I donate heavy to numerous gay and AIDS related groups. From this day forward I will make my donations in the name of one hate group or another - I will also request that in order to ensure my continued contributions those organization to which I donate must send written acknowledgement of the gift to the hate group named.

Posted by: Tyron | May 22, 2011 7:00:59 PM

6. I feel sorry for the little kids carrying signs for their moronic misguided elders. These kids are probably ruined for life, psychologically and sociologically. Phelps is obviously a closet case from Hell!

Posted by: billmiller | May 23, 2011 9:03:30 AM

7. I don't care who she is or what she says, she has the perfect way to combat the WBC. Turn their showing up into a positive thing! If this spread they would be finished for sure! Imagine if they protested something like Gaga's next ginormous world tour and she donated a million for every one of them that showed up!

Posted by: AJ | May 27, 2011 11:29:58 AM