Activism | Gay Rights | Minneapolis | Newt Gingrich

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Newt Gingrich Hit by Glitter Attack from Gay Protester

Glitter_gingrich

At a book-signing last night, a gay activist poured a bucket of glitter over Newt Gingrich and his wife as they sat at a table at a Minnesota Family Council event, ABC News reports:

Newt_glitterThe glitter culprit is Nick Espinosa, a 24 year old unemployed non profit worker turned social activist from Minneapolis, Minn.  Espinosa worked with a non-profit helping unemployed people for two years before being laid off due to budget cuts.  His encounter with Newt on Tuesday was in protest to Gingrich’s stance on gay marriage.

“Today, I invited Newt to feel the rainbow because he decided to bring his anti-gay politics to my state,” Espinosa told ABC News Tuesday night.  “Newt has a long history of anti-gay politics and has chosen to focus on divisive social issues instead of working to fix our economy.  I don’t think a free will adulterer like Newt has any ground to stand up while telling others who they can and can’t love.”

Said Espinosa during the glitter bomb: "Feel the rainbow Newt. Stop the hate. Stop the anti-gay politics. It's dividing our country and it's not fixing the economy."

Said Newt after the attack. "Nice to live in a free country."

As Espinosa was kicked out, Newt's flunkey said: "So goes you, goes the rotting of our country. Have you ever seen us attend one of your events? Have we disturbed your events? Never. Peace be with you."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Newt is not having a good week. Two incidents in two days. Hmm, is America sending a message?

Posted by: Ryan | May 18, 2011 6:57:05 AM

2. Newt: you are a jerk. Nothing new there...

Nice to live in a free country? Besides that it is 100 % unfree for gays and lesbians.

What about the hate speaches you, Newt, spread around? Good that you, Newt, live in a free country!

Posted by: M FLL | May 18, 2011 7:06:43 AM

3. Okay, that was silly. I would have preferred a pie.

Posted by: brent | May 18, 2011 7:15:37 AM

4. Tough week for traditional marriage, what with Arnold's true colors showing, and Newt's patriotism leading to serial adultery. How these people pretend to speak for family values is really a stretch.

In medicine they speak of a tumor or a cyst "involuting" which is basically what the Wicked Witch did when water touched her. Sarah Palin, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich. Involution takes time, but these lesions do outstrip their blood supply eventually.

We are getting luckier in our enemies. Things would be so much worse if they made sense in some arenas.

Nervy gesture on the activists part- and I'm for it.

Posted by: Rob | May 18, 2011 7:22:13 AM

5. It should have been a bucket of sh*t.

Posted by: D.R.H. | May 18, 2011 7:25:24 AM

6. "So goes you, so goes the rotting of our country"--sounds like the rhetoric you heard in a certain country in the 1930's. Sieg Heil!

"Have we ever disturbed one of your events?" This is perhaps off point, but I immediately recalled the goon squads of the tea party disrupting town hall meetings. It is as if he is saying, "We can do it to you, but you can't do it to us." Well, that ain't gonna fly no more, son. Get ready.

I like the use of the camcorder. The rightwing used it effectively in Washington, D.C., where they ran up and down the halls of Congress in pursuit of Democratic representatives to try to record any foul ups in response to questions or flair ups of temper.

Keep up the good work. They are getting their own medicine and they need to get more of the same.

Posted by: tjones | May 18, 2011 7:35:00 AM

7. Er if I was the guy I'd go ALL THE FRIGGING TIME! Stop voting against me having ANY rights and I will leave you alone! Promise!

Posted by: Rowan | May 18, 2011 7:41:09 AM

8. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I feel like it's kind of idiotic.
    Or maybe it's just because I am forced to associate glitter with Ke$ha.

Posted by: Joseph Klock | May 18, 2011 7:45:47 AM

9. I'm surprised they didn't arrest him, but maybe it's because he didn't get much glitter on Newt; it ended up all over the table.

His assface assistant is truly a marvelous man. He couldn't have been more divisive if he'd tried. "Us" and "you"---those with power and those without. Though I agree with the previous post that this really didn't achieve much, and throwing glitter as a form of protest is so ripe for right-wing mockery (not that I care). Maybe if he'd had better aim...

Posted by: Paul R | May 18, 2011 7:57:33 AM

10. Keep it up! Fight back, stand up, spread the glitter... whatever. It's about time to start sitting on the front of the bus. Get from behind the keyboard and start making a difference... oh wait, there's a white party this weekend, never mind.

Posted by: JNJ | May 18, 2011 8:04:22 AM

11. How does this act help our cause at all? This is beneath us and will not help us gain equal rights. If anything, it will turn those people off who are on the fence.

Posted by: Doug | May 18, 2011 8:16:03 AM

12. "Have you ever seen us attend one of your events? Have we disturbed your events?" It seems to me that any gay rights event in DC is met by the right with signs, bull horns and bigotry. And I'm not just talking about the Phelps crew.

Posted by: chad | May 18, 2011 8:22:16 AM

13. Now I am worried that security will start searching my back and confiscating my cans of glitter.

As a gay, I need to have my glitter.

I hope this doesn't ruin glitter-carrying for everyone.

Posted by: bravo | May 18, 2011 8:30:45 AM

14. Have you ever seen us attend one of your events? Have we disturbed your events?

Plus, most of "our" events don't have newt's rights as a central issue. Next time I go to a rally for taking away a man's right to serially cheat on each wife he has, especially when she is on her deathbed, then marry the new partner and cheat on her as well, I expect Newt to be there protesting our violation of his rights.

While despicable behavior, you will never see me rally against his right to marry as many girls foolish enough to do so.

Posted by: Brad | May 18, 2011 8:44:32 AM

15. "So goes you, so goes the rotting of our country...Have we ever disturbed one of your events?"AAAhhh ya, you sure have....every time there's a pride march. Every time state legislatures want to pass a marriage equality bill, every time some one gets gay bashed or commits suicide you little oompa loompa'S come right in with your pop up bible thumping book and tell us that were all going to hell.
    Honestly I would have done it with lube....GOOD for him at least someone in the GLBT community had the balls to do something...

Posted by: x man | May 18, 2011 8:48:23 AM

16. Doug, so all it takes is glitter to turn these people away from our cause who are on the fence? But they are still on fence despite what Newt has done to his wives, Trump and his bankruptcy, NOM certified as hate groups, huge anti-gay marriage protests, gays committing suicides, family association saying that we should be dead because we are a kin to bestiality.....

I could go on and on but I won't because you need to educate yourself and go on google.

So basically despite all the above, it's okay for a person to be on the fence but as soon as we throw glitter on some nasty homophobic GOP candidate, they will jump off the fence and really stay to the right?

As a black person that is not just fighting these rights as well as race ones, I have a vary wide knowledge of civil rights and I can't help but be reminded of some white people who used to say to me 'now if black people weren't just too loud or if you kept yourselves to yourself, then maybe some of us would support your rights more but you guys with your loud music and clothes...'

Big similarity here. And the bottom line is that you are trying to get on side someone who is inherently bigoted unless you play to the beat of their drum. Someone who at the drop of a hat, would drop you. Would you choose that person as a friend? A team mate? Someone to have your back no matter what?

Your gay kids are committing suicide. Your Christian right are inciting hatred and voting against everything to with gays. You can't stop loosing marriage right campaigns. Your conservative party would rather go more in de t then have you serve in the military or have any rights.

You're the least progressive country in th west when it comes to gay rights.

Dude, should you really be bitching and whining about someone getting off their arse and throwing glitter at a creepy lying bigotted scum bag?

Really?

Damn. Priorities.

Posted by: Rowan | May 18, 2011 8:49:20 AM

17. D.R.H.: "It should have been a bucket of sh*t."

How about Santorum pies?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | May 18, 2011 8:55:27 AM

18. Newt's security sucks. In the future, might not let guys with purses too close. Next time it might not be glitter.

Posted by: Mark | May 18, 2011 9:15:09 AM

19. good motivation

ridiculous act

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | May 18, 2011 9:30:22 AM

20. Newt is a bigot and a hypocrite, but this was wrong. Violence is not the answer. The law is on our side. We don't need this sort of action.

Posted by: Angus | May 18, 2011 9:33:04 AM

21. I won't lie, it does make me a little uncomfortable... and yet a part of me absolutely loves it!

Just the other day, I was thinking those against Marriage Equality should be getting hit by Pink-loaded paint guns.

Imagine the images in the media. Why should we apologize any longer when everyone knows the laws are contrary to USA core values???

Posted by: Pete n SFO | May 18, 2011 9:46:21 AM

22. This wasn't violence. It was maybe battery, but even that's pushing it. Calling this violence is a slap in the face to the people who experienced real violence... the freedom riders in the 60s, the drag queens who started the Stonewall riots, the brave GLBT people in eastern Europe who THIS VERY DAY risk life and limb for a tiny bit of visibility through a municipal pride parade ... get a grip. It's political theatre, and it's been ever thus. It's high time someone got off their ass and did something like this. It worked with Anita Bryant, and it worked this time. If it gets people talking about GLBT civil rights, then it's a good thing.

Face it. People who would vote against equality because someone threw glitter on Newt Gingrich would NEVER HAVE VOTED FOR EQUALITY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 18, 2011 9:52:31 AM

23. Funny, but points-off for using too-much glitter....

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | May 18, 2011 10:22:25 AM

24. Nick Espinosa is a true patriot. Nothing less. His soul IS the soul of the future of a more hopeful and equitable America.

@D.R.H. & A.B.: hahahahahahah. I hear ya. But u gotta give Espinosa credit: Glitter was probably classier and more message-based. I'd vote for a free expression reading even if Milkman has a point about a possible reading of it as battery. I mean, c'mon, what about JUSTICE? And, Espinosa's chance to CONTRIBUTE just like every other taxpayer and citizen. Last time I checked, Newty harms Espinosa less individually--but also fairly certainly--through his economy-wrecking middle-class-destroying supposedly-wise economic policiies.

I mean, such a tactic is not my style. But don't think I don't cheer this kid. It does show worthy COURAGE.

You know how people sometimes spontaneously say things and sometimes they are really more about THEMSELVES than anyone else?

Well, I suspect the Newt-lackee's words reflect more on Newt and team's OWN existence as hopefully-temporary ROT of American politics. What happened to a government OF THE PEOPLE Of the people...as opposed to narrowly-elected rethugs committed to inefficiently advancing the top 1 or 2 percent by manipulating some of the least educated and otherwise vulnerable folk in the country and scapegoating gays, immigrants, racial minorities stuck in structural poverty, and reproductive-age women. And never mind that even those top 1 or 2 percent would prolly THEMSELVES benefit more if the PEOPLE were actually empowered. Consider it, Newt. Rush Limbaugh may have breifly sold me your rhetoric when I was a 12 year-old uneducated self-loathing closeted gay kid sometime late last century. But that swine-flu sale can only go on for so long, my friend. I still hold onto faith that oeople are going to figure y'all with time--and then tell their friends, haha.

May you receive more glitter buckets, Sir Newt. :---).

Posted by: just_a_guy | May 18, 2011 10:43:26 AM

25. Glitter bomb = protest fail. This nutjob needs to be detained and questioned. I hope he at least got on some "watch" list somewhere.

Posted by: 1fanboy2many | May 18, 2011 11:05:42 AM