Kristen Wiig | News | SNL

No! Kristen Wiig Kills Off 'Gilly' and 'Penelope'

Penelope

In an interview with TIME, Kristen Wiig reveals she's killing off two of her most beloved SNL characters:

The precision of idiosyncratic looks and gestures is what lets Wiig take one-note characters (a woman who can't keep a secret! A woman who one-ups everyone else's story! A Lawrence Welk–era backup singer with deformed hands!) and make them compelling in their quirkiness. "As much as she goes to extremes and flies off on a broom, her characters are grounded," saysBridesmaids' Rudolph, who also worked with Wiig on SNL. "There's an uncomfortable quality to a lot of them that's painfully funny." Because her characters are simple, she's smart enough to retire them long before other SNL cast members would. She'll no longer do Penelope the one-upper or Gilly the mischievous schoolgirl, not even at Michaels' request.

In memoriam, Penelope, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via vulture)

Comments

1. She;l be back with next season with something even more fabulous.

Posted by: Al | May 4, 2011 8:26:03 AM

2. I think she's being smart. I never thought Gilly was funny, just annoying. Penelope was decent premise for a sketch that never should have become a recurring character. I appreciate the fact she knows these characters are too thin to continue driving into the ground.

Posted by: dave | May 4, 2011 9:28:10 AM

3. "Beloved" is going a bit far for Gilly, who (I agree with Dave) was never funny and never developed as a character.

Posted by: Kevin | May 4, 2011 10:05:43 AM

4. Gilly was semi-lame, but Penelope was great. I agree with her decision, they'd taken them about as far as they could without getting redundant. Just glad they didn't try to do a movie with either of them, unlike Samburg whose short films are getting tiring. I don't think the males are nearly as talented as the females in the current cast.

My personal fave character of Wiig's is the woman who can't keep a secret... best skit ever was the surprise party with Christopher Walking guest-starring.

Posted by: johnny | May 4, 2011 10:38:52 AM

5. Thank God for the demise of Gilly!

Posted by: LincolnLounger | May 4, 2011 11:18:12 AM

6. I think she is going to be hard press to find people who arent jumping for joy after hearing this news. I didnt care for either of these characters and I think Kristen thinks she is the queen of SNL. Even in scenes where she is simply meant to be an extra we still end up noticing her. She is an attention whore, who doesnt share the spot light very well. I have enjoyed her in a few of her movie roles however :)

Posted by: Dusty | May 4, 2011 12:07:03 PM

7. Maybe I'm insane, but I LOVED Gilly: the way she looked like some forgotten character from a 1920s comic; that strange little dance she did; the final Sorry!

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | May 4, 2011 1:13:31 PM

8. A lesser SNL actor would have had both full-length films (Gilly and Penelope) in the can by now. Congratulations on your good judgement Kristen.

Posted by: Alex | May 4, 2011 3:19:38 PM

9. By "beloved" I assume you mean "infuriating"? I've yet to meet a person who finds Gilly remotely funny

Posted by: Jmac | May 4, 2011 3:38:49 PM