I'm Gay | News | Sports

Professional Bowler Scott Norton: 'I am a Gay Athlete'

Professional bowler Scott Norton has come out of the closet. Norton cites the coming out earlier this week of Phoenix Suns CEO and President Rick Welts as the catalyst to his decision.

Norton He writes in a piece for the Professional Bowlers Association:

While many athletes wait until they retire to officially come out, the fact that Mr. Welts has the courage to do so while still actively involved with the NBA has encouraged me to also acknowledge that I am a gay athlete.

It is extremely important for me to come out to show other gay athletes, both current and future, that it is important to come out to show that we are just like everyone else. Being gay doesn’t define who I am as a person or as a professional athlete. I'm also a professional bowler, lawyer, caring, compassionate, strong, and many other things.

It's important to show people that being gay has nothing to do with one's ability to do anything as a man, least of all compete at the highest level of sports.

Read the whole piece HERE.

It's amazing to see what can happen when people like Rick Welts lead by example!

Comments

1. GOOD FOR HIM!!

Posted by: deanybeany | May 19, 2011 8:20:18 PM

2. @OhPlease: Consider that he works in sports, which is historically more homophobic than the rest of society. I agree that he's not a leader, but he's not behind the times; in fact, 2011 has been a year with lots of gay male athletes coming out, as well as heterosexual athletes announcing support for equality.

Posted by: I'm God | May 19, 2011 8:21:21 PM

3. Congrats and good for him! It's been an amazing week for gay visibility in sports. Kudos to them all....

...But really. Snark is the prime mover of nearly all web commenting, and the "Athlete?? Really??" comment basically writes itself from the headline quote. Someone *had* to do it, and getting one's boxers in a twist over it is just silly.

Posted by: adamblast | May 19, 2011 9:04:37 PM

4. Okay a moment of shallowness...If I knew such cute men bowled, I would have watched this a long time ago! Woofy woof! Now back to maturity....Thanks Scott Norton for making a difference! :-)

Posted by: Angela Channing | May 19, 2011 9:10:28 PM

5. Dammit.

And here I was, hoping I'd be the first pro bowler to come out. Oh well. I can still be the first black one. And the first fabulous one.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | May 19, 2011 9:40:03 PM

6. Good for him, and yes bowlers are athletes. It's mostly a skill sport but you try throwing a 14 pound ball down a 25 yard lane roughly 60 times (that's about 3 games) while trying to concentrate and keep the bowling ball straight and see if you don't tire out a bit.
    justtoday45.blogspot.com

Posted by: A.W. | May 19, 2011 10:28:37 PM

7. Someone has to say it. Bowlers have big balls. Now the rest of you can have an adult conversation.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | May 20, 2011 12:00:09 AM

8. well this is just getting ridiculous now

Posted by: jthemexman | May 20, 2011 12:05:26 AM

9. Handsome guy... happy-looking couple.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a professional bowler. But that said.. I'm sure he looks great from behind when he does a 7-10 split.

Posted by: jasun mark | May 20, 2011 1:31:32 AM

10. @Randy "You're just trying to crap on things to make yourself feel better about being such an internet troll."

So true---love how all these queens are suddenly experts on what is or isn't a sport when if you threw a ball at most of them they'd run screaming

Posted by: Christopher | May 20, 2011 9:41:44 AM

11. Real athlete or not, he's a CUTIE!!

Posted by: Matt | May 20, 2011 10:21:57 AM

12. Wow! I admire the courage, guts and thinking of these professional player, to go out to is close and go tell to the world about his sexual preferences. He is gay. Ahm..may I just ask? I'm sure, maybe he encountered girl friends before confessing his true self. May I know how many girl friends Scott Norton have before this news? Thanks

Posted by: Professional Athletes David | Jul 18, 2011 1:30:48 AM

13. Well, at least he showed who he is. As long as he or she is a good player, it doesn't matter.

Posted by: Professional Athletes David | Aug 12, 2011 6:52:14 AM

14. That is not bad... If he's really good then continue.

Posted by: Professional Athletes David | Aug 31, 2011 8:46:33 AM

15. I certainly enjoyed the way you explore your experience and knowledge of the subject! Keep up on it. Thanks for sharing the info

Posted by: Professional Athletes David | Aug 31, 2011 10:08:39 AM