Music | News | Robyn

BigGayDeal.com

Robyn: 'I Get Mistaken for a Lesbian all the Time'

In a wide-ranging interview, Swedish pop star Robyn talks to OUT magazine, and reveals why she identifies with LGBT people:

Robyn “I get mistaken for a lesbian all the time—but I guess I do have the most lesbian haircut of any of the girls in my field. And when I was growing up and I introduced myself to people I’d say, ‘Hi, my name is Robyn and I’m a girl,’ because in Sweden, Robyn is a boy’s name and I had such short hair. My handicrafts teacher thought I was a boy for three years. I tried to tell her I was a girl, but she’d just say, ‘My little boy wanted to be a girl when he was a kid, too.’ Finally my mom had to write her a note that said, ‘Please don’t assume that Robyn is a boy anymore because she’s a girl.’ Having that experience where I was confronted by people’s reactions to what I looked like or what I was supposed to look like made me identify with queerness. It still happens to me all the time, and a lot of the time it happens to me in America because even though what I consider butch is still very feminine in Europe, here you can shock people very easily just by looking a little queer.”

Robyn performed her new single "Call Your Girlfriend" on Jimmy Kimmel Live last month.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Lesbian cut? Looks like a pretty fierce look to me.

Posted by: Travis | May 17, 2011 5:46:44 PM

2. A straight person not afraid of saying the word Queer, I like. We need to remove the negitive connotation from a few other words.

Posted by: Nate | May 17, 2011 5:50:35 PM

3. "A Straight person not afraid of saying the word Queer, I like."

I don't like! What a moronic statement . . . when have Straight homophobes ever been shy about calling us queers, d*kes, f*ggots, he/she, etcetera? When homosexual folk think it's progressive that heterosexual folk feel free to call us derogatory names, it's time to swear off of whatever we're smoking. It's foolish to think we can ever "remove the negative connotation" from anti-LGBT slurs, and it's f*cked up to want to.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 17, 2011 6:27:10 PM

4. love this girl

Posted by: neverstops | May 17, 2011 6:31:28 PM

5. I find her immensely talented and interesting. She has incredible stage presence, and she has a gift for making songs that make me want to dance and cry at the same time.

Posted by: Mikey | May 17, 2011 7:28:54 PM

6. I agree with Nate. The way she's using the word "queer" is much closer to the way it is used in academia. She's not using it as a derogatory term, she's using it as a catch-all term for all people who feel different.

Posted by: Will | May 17, 2011 7:56:57 PM

7. @STUFFED
    Maybe you don't get the way Europeans and Scandanavians use the word, but LGBT are such a part of the mainstream there that queer would never be meant in a derogatory fashion by any sophisticated person. It just wouldn't happen, and that's why she feels free(and rightly so) to use it. She's a friend of the community Big Time. I say it everyday on this site, but I'll say it again: gays need to focus on the real enemies, not stupid SNL skits or gay friendly pop stars or f@cking Gaga. These are our allies not our enemies, learn the difference.

Posted by: Jerry | May 17, 2011 8:19:15 PM

8. I love Robyn so much

Posted by: scott | May 17, 2011 9:28:06 PM

9. To mistake her for a boy! When I look at her in this following video, all I see is a beautiful woman!!!

Posted by: David | May 17, 2011 9:46:59 PM

10. I just don't get the attraction to her. Her music is typical blah... autotune and everything.

Posted by: JMG | May 19, 2011 3:40:32 AM

11. And btw... I don't get how, every so often, a random artist will be dubbed the next big thing/gay icon (who??) by a few of the gay blogs I read. It's almost as if they're being paid to create buzz.

I recall this happening when Kylie Minogue was trying to promote her last album. It made me go 'hmmm' after the dozen or so Kylie related articles. And then she recorded 'intros' for all these same gay blogs. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way. =/

Posted by: JMG | May 19, 2011 3:54:25 AM

12. queer is not a negative term. i am a straight woman, but my best friends (80%) are gay men. we share very similar views on sexuality and politics. they tell me i am "queer" all of the time. it doesn't mean "gay". it's a frame of mind, and a compliment.

Posted by: c toothpaste | Jan 20, 2012 10:08:46 AM

13. Thank God she is not a freaky queer.

Posted by: Dawn | Feb 6, 2014 10:52:10 AM