Basketball | I'm Gay | Music | News | Sports | Will Sheridan

BigGayDeal.com

Former Villanova Basketball Star and Musician Will Sheridan:
'I'm Gay'

Sheridan

Former Villanova basketball player turned musician Will Sheridan comes out of the closet in a lengthy article at ESPN.

Writes Dana O'Neil: Sheridan

He's an athlete, a former Division I basketball player who was good enough to start for most of his four seasons, pivotal seasons as the Wildcats blossomed into a national power.

He's a musician, with a video ("Welcome to the Jungle") that has gone mini-viral on YouTube and another one ("302") about to drop this week.

He's an artist, a performer who is packing the club scene in New York, people responding to both his music and his message. He's a businessman, a manager at a world-renowned fashion retailer.

And he happens to be gay.

"I'm trying to have a voice and I want that voice to reach as many people as it can," he said. "I mean, look at me. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm like a quadruple minority and I feel like a little piece of me resides in everybody. Maybe there's a kid out there who doesn't think he's OK and he can look at me and say, 'OK, he played college basketball. He went overseas. He has a music career and now he's living his life. Now he's who he wants to be and he's happy and confident and comfortable.' It's my responsibility to talk about that."

Check out the rest of the article HERE.

Watch an interview with ESPN's Bob Ley and Sheridan's music video for "Welcome to the Jungle", AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's Sheridan's most recent music video:

Comments

1. Welcome out, dude! This is really encouraging stuff.

Posted by: JeiJei | May 16, 2011 4:25:17 PM

2. "I'm trying to have a voice and I want that voice to reach as many people as it can....Maybe there's a kid out there who doesn't think he's OK and he can look at me and say....'Now he's living his life.... Now he's who he wants to be and he's happy and confident and comfortable.' It's my responsibility to talk about that."

Closeted celebrities: take notes.

Posted by: JeffRob | May 16, 2011 4:25:54 PM

3. The more it happens the better. It seems we read these daily. Very good.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 16, 2011 4:27:59 PM

4. Congratulations, Will. :)

Posted by: The Milkman | May 16, 2011 4:28:27 PM

5. Well, I declare! I thought National Coming Out Week was in October...maybe it is May?
    This is really wonderful. I love being a queen, but I love stereotypes to be broken also. This young man aint no Gay stereotype.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 16, 2011 4:30:57 PM

6. everyone's coming out now

;-P

cool

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | May 16, 2011 4:38:32 PM

7. Congrats to this guy (who sounds like a really driven, successful powerhouse - keep an eye out for him)!

It is awesome to see athletes and businessmen getting to the point where they can be out of the closet. Our community, especially the youngest amongst us, needs as many role models in as many different career roles as possible.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | May 16, 2011 4:42:38 PM

8. Awesome!

Posted by: luminum | May 16, 2011 4:45:24 PM

9. Great story! he's totally hot too!

Posted by: Teyshan | May 16, 2011 4:49:45 PM

10. how awesome is that! and a hottie too.

Posted by: dh | May 16, 2011 4:50:15 PM

11. Kudos to Mr. Sheridan but I have a question.

Even at Villanova, he was out to his teammates (who didn't care) and he received anti-gay taunting from fans.

I mean, was he ever really in the closet? Hasn't he always been out or (at least) semi-out?

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 16, 2011 5:03:32 PM

12. congrats!

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | May 16, 2011 5:14:28 PM

13. Thank-you to Will for coming out and being brave to represent our community. We need successful gay men who don't necessarily fit the "stereotype" to be out and show the rest of the world, we're not so different from them. And of course, as mentioned by other, he is certainly not bad on the eyes either! Yum! Ha!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | May 16, 2011 5:15:20 PM

14. when it rains, it pours!

Posted by: kranbree | May 16, 2011 5:15:21 PM

15. I met Will some years ago out with some friends in NYC. He's not hard to miss at like 6'6". He's super nice, intelligent and talented. Even back then, seems he was happy in the city. But it doesn't matter who you are, parents can be a major issue for not coming out earlier.

And how about that -- two successful, talented Black gay men publicly coming out today? Congrats! I believe if White gays want to get more support from minorities (who are often religious) for equality, it starts with making minority LGBTs feel more like part of the community. That's the bridge needed. End racism now.

Posted by: JTlvr | May 16, 2011 5:19:10 PM

16. Wow!!! This is amazing!!!

I can't stop smiling!

More to come please!

Posted by: Rowan | May 16, 2011 5:23:57 PM

17. Interesting point, CHI KEV. I guess for many of us who don't know college basketball it is a revelation. And of course, the media is presenting it this week as if he were just coming out.

Anyway, I'm going home to have a drink in Mister Sheridan's honor, and another one in Mister Lemon's honor, and another in honor of the NBA executive official who came out, and another one in honor of Donald Trump for coming out as a complete dimwit.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 16, 2011 5:27:22 PM

18. "when it rains, it pours!"
    Posted by: kranbree | May 16, 2011 5:15:21 PM

... indeed; precisely my thought as well when first reading this post.

Straight, a minority in development.

Posted by: dave02657 | May 16, 2011 5:27:33 PM

19. i really wanted his music to reach me, but i'm just too old i guess. BUT, with those looks and those chops, hollywood take note. he is at ease with the camera and performing, i can't help but think he can't be far from ready for an acting career. if he's a good as i suspect he might be, move over danzel and ice cube.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 16, 2011 5:39:39 PM

20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLZqDXau98&feature=player_embedded

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 16, 2011 5:43:13 PM

21. @Derrick From Philly

Yeah, the Outsports link seems to indicate that he was the receipient of anti-gay taunts at a St. Joe's-Villanova game and I have a dim memory of hearing some anti-gay taunts in a Big East matchup a few years back (was it a Villanova-Syracuse game?).

Sheridan also notes that while he was on campus, he went on dates with guys.

I understand the significance of him making an announcement to the media but I don't know if "coming out" is the best way to describe this.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 16, 2011 5:43:37 PM

22. @Chitown Kev

As gay people, we are constantly coming out to people in our lives. He is coming out to the public. People who don't know.

Posted by: Dan | May 16, 2011 6:05:37 PM

23. Chi, people still think Anderson is in the closet so....this guy just came OUT.

Posted by: Rowan | May 16, 2011 6:40:54 PM

24. Can someone please close the closet door? too many people are coming out.

I Kidd, welcome.

Posted by: johnosahon | May 16, 2011 6:48:27 PM

25. Excellent. The dude is comfortable with himself and is someone many can relate to. We need more Will Sheridans.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 16, 2011 7:06:42 PM