Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Harold Camping | News

Watch: Harold Camping, Leader of May 21 'End of the World' Movement, Says Gays Are to Blame

Camping

Harold Camping, the Christian broadcaster and President of Family Radio, the group that sets this Saturday, May 21, 2011, as The Rapture, explains in the following video how it's all because of gay people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's a helpful FAQ from the SF Chronicle.

(via buzzfeed)

Comments

1. I can not wait until Saturday, when I wake up and absolutely nothing is going to happen (except for a lazy afternoon of napping). I wonder how these crazies will spin it then.

(Of course, if the rapture does happen, then I guess he won't be around to say "I told you so." Sounds like a win-win to me either way.)

Posted by: Austin | May 18, 2011 12:20:17 PM

2. Paul Wagner!

Posted by: nodnarb | May 18, 2011 12:23:13 PM

3. I predict this whack job will kill himself this weekend. This will allow him, and his followers, to think he has been raptured. Then the followers will live in panic for the next five months waiting to become salt and second quessing their lives to understand why they weren't raptured. In October, those that have not gone crazy will realize they have been duped by their own religion.

Posted by: Bart | May 18, 2011 12:24:29 PM

4. Ummm, Camping has been telling his followers, and the public in general, that the timing of the Rapture is detailed in the Bible -- which means that the deeds of any man or woman could not possibly change when the rapture is to occur.

I suppose that when the sun rises Sunday, and the good 200 million Christians are still here, Camping will figure out some way to blame us for postponing the rapture.

These people are ignorant dolts; no amount of logic, history, sincere Bible study, will change their small minds and tiny wits.

Posted by: Mike in Asheville | May 18, 2011 12:28:12 PM

5. You know what I'll be doing on the morning o the 22nd? Drinking mimosas and not thinking about this guy.

Posted by: TyN | May 18, 2011 12:28:28 PM

6. I was raised in an Evangelical family, so most of this stuff will never leave my brain entirely. The Rapture and the end of the world aren't the same thing. Is this idiot actually confusing them?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 18, 2011 12:28:35 PM

7. And this Saturday he gets my e-mail:

"If you can read this it means you weren't Raptured."

Posted by: Steve | May 18, 2011 12:28:48 PM

8. I wonder if the Phelps clan is on board with this guy.

Posted by: Geoff | May 18, 2011 12:31:27 PM

9. Hey Mr. Camping, can we move the date from the 21st? I already have a really busy schedule that day and cannot fit in the rapture on Saturday. The rapture sounds like a lot of work and very exciting, so I don't want to miss it. Me and my "big brain." Since you say there's "no possibility that it's not going to happen..." I want to be dressed correctly, have a good breakfast in me and have my kids make their beds (I want the house neat for such a big event.) So anything you could do to move the day of the rapture from Saturday would be a huge help. You seem like a really together, intelligent, divine individual, I know you can make this happen for me. Good luck with all your preparations (BTW, your office looks a little messy, I'd straighten it up before the big day. No one wants to come to a messy rapture.) All my best --- Bart

Posted by: Bart | May 18, 2011 12:33:17 PM

10. And these folks have money. I live in Chile and I went to the beach the other day - I saw not one, but two HUGE billboards with some christian message and advertising familyradio.org. Makes me sick!

Posted by: topher | May 18, 2011 12:33:34 PM

11. Very soon the world will end for him, that's clear enough. In the meantime everyone should enjoy a Saturday filled with the rapture of sodomy, fornication and masturbation. The only End will be the weekend.

Posted by: Bear | May 18, 2011 12:39:19 PM

12. is this going to be one of those drink the Kool-Aid moments for this nut-job followers????

Posted by: DTK | May 18, 2011 12:41:25 PM

13. When will they ever diagnose religiosity as a mental illness??

Posted by: mrmnyc | May 18, 2011 12:44:42 PM

14. Guess it might be the rapture for him!

Posted by: Akira | May 18, 2011 12:48:41 PM

15. If I wake up on Saturday and all the religious whackjobs are gone, I shall surely be rapturous.

Posted by: EO | May 18, 2011 12:50:48 PM

16. Mr. Camping, I don't understand how someone could be Christian and blame the gays for this rapture.

I believe that the Lord would much rather punish someone evil. To me that would be murderers, abusers and people like you who gather others together and lead them in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Babs | May 18, 2011 12:52:09 PM

17. no offense but it doesn't look like he will make to saturday. when saturday comes he will say by his efforts the rapture has been avoided or postponed. please let them and all idiots like them please drink the kool aid.

Posted by: walter | May 18, 2011 12:56:45 PM

18. I thought for Protestants the Rapture was supposed to be a good thing--so shouldn't he thank the gays?

Posted by: Rin | May 18, 2011 12:56:54 PM

19. If you're lucky, maybe there will be a mass suicide. But that's a bit touchy to suggest...I'd hate to be called a bully.

Posted by: JonBenet | May 18, 2011 1:07:44 PM

20. What Camping disregards are a number of statements in the Bible saying no man knows the hour or the day, no man can predict when the rapture will happen. Jesus, in the Gospels, warned believers to be wary of anyone making such predictions.

Posted by: Hawthorne | May 18, 2011 1:08:37 PM

21. If all the Christians are raptured on Saturday we will be half way to the world of peace, love and compassion that they've been insincerely singing and preaching about for the last 2000 years. Once the Muslims have their rapture we'll make it the other half of the way.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 18, 2011 1:12:57 PM

22. I have not unpacked since the last rapture. So I am ready for it! I am coming back to the cesspool and turning the whole world gay! Please save me from fruitcakes like this.

Posted by: tim | May 18, 2011 1:13:11 PM

23. I feel just awful that I am partially responsible for this event. I will be throwing a going away party for any of my friends who are going to be raptured. Free donuts on Saturday morning at my place. I figure I don't have to buy more than 3...

Posted by: StillMarriedinCA | May 18, 2011 1:14:00 PM

24. aahh, a day without christians - I'll gladly take my chances with the earthquakes.

Posted by: brent | May 18, 2011 1:14:15 PM

25. He looks like his jaw might drop off in mid sentence.

Posted by: jakeinlove | May 18, 2011 1:18:47 PM