FOX News | Mike Huckabee | Republican Party

Watch: Mike Huckabee Announces He Won't Run In 2012

Mike
He made the announcement on his FOX News show last night.

"When people asked me what it would take for me to run, I would tell them the same thing---pray for me to have clarity in the decision. I don’t expect everyone to understand this, but I’m a believer and a follower of Jesus Christ. That relationship is far more important to me than any political office. For me, the discussion and decision is ultimately not a political one, a financial one, it's not even a practical one - it’s a spiritual one....Only when I was alone, in quiet and reflective moments did I have not only clarity, but an inexplicable inner peace—a peace that exceeds human understanding. All the factors say 'go,' but my heart says 'no.'"

Huckabee was on Fox News Sunday this morning and told host Chris Wallace: "Up until just a few days ago...I honestly thought I would be in it."

Watch him explain his decision further, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. a/k/a "I realized that I have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Obama."

Posted by: JOE 2 | May 15, 2011 12:34:40 PM

2. I "pray" that the BIGOTS shriveled up black thing he calls a heart tells him to stay out of running for good.

Posted by: curtis | May 15, 2011 12:50:34 PM

3. it was financial

lawerence odonell talked about it on friday and predicted he wouldn't run due to $$$ and he makes so much more $$$ on Faux then he ever would as president

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | May 15, 2011 12:53:25 PM

4. I am devastated. Absolutely devastated.

Posted by: Alan Bennett Ilagan | May 15, 2011 1:00:10 PM

5. mstrozfckslv,

You're absolutely right!Not only does Mikey make way more on his Fox "show" than he would make anywhere else, it's been widely reported that his current financial situation makes it impossible for him to leave his lucrative gig. But Mikey says it's all about the lord!
    Good lord is more like it!

Posted by: Oh Please! | May 15, 2011 1:13:34 PM

6. Also, maybe it hasn't escaped the notice of the leadership of the RNC that Americans are getting tired of religion in public life--especially religion that tells them they should reject their loved gay family members and friends.

Posted by: Danny | May 15, 2011 1:20:52 PM

7. snif

Posted by: EO | May 15, 2011 1:34:49 PM

8. In a real moment of clarity, he'd see how much of an ass he truly is.

Posted by: Reggie | May 15, 2011 2:13:30 PM

9. I just love the beautifully corrupting influence of lots of money.....

oops, No, it's really my relationship with Jesus...

Yea, go tell that to the Little People.What a smug tosser.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 15, 2011 2:36:31 PM

10. So, according to the Huckster even God doesn't want him to run! That's rich. The guy is a real piece of work.

Posted by: DJ | May 15, 2011 2:48:13 PM

11. Back to suckling at the generous teats of Roger Ailes, I assume...

Posted by: BobN | May 15, 2011 3:39:51 PM

12. Let me get this straight, God does not want Huck to run but God does want Newt to run. This must be true because they both say they spoke with God. God has a fabulous sense of humor.

Posted by: plaintom | May 15, 2011 4:15:00 PM

13. Not only he has no money, but he also knows the field will be even more clear in 2016 where he doesn't have to face the likes of Obama in a general.

Posted by: NY2.0 | May 15, 2011 4:28:22 PM

14. If he were a follower of Jesus Christ, he wouldn't be a hateful bigot. And sucking on the tit of Fox News.

Just because you hear voices in your head doesn't mean God is talking to you.

Posted by: Bart | May 15, 2011 6:18:50 PM

15. Well there goes those internment camps for people living with AIDS that Schmuckabee is so fond of promoting.

Posted by: CRISPY | May 15, 2011 7:06:51 PM

16. There's enough anti-gay bigotry (Pawlenty, Daniels, et al.) to survive him.

Posted by: Philo | May 15, 2011 7:25:05 PM

17. Next!

Posted by: Jack M | May 16, 2011 8:31:51 AM

18. No, this is about Walter Clemmons and Wayne Dumand. No way could he get past those little stumbling blocks.

Posted by: Abel | May 16, 2011 11:11:04 AM

19. Huckabee isn't running because he, like Palin, has become addicted the all the attention and money he has discovered he can make without the responsibility and accountability that comes with holding elective office. But I will give him credit for, unlike Palin, being honest enough to come forward now and make the announcement.

Palin is going to drag out making her announcement for as long as possible to avoid losing any of her publicity and speaking engagement money. Unlike Huckabee, who is carving out a broadcasting career, once Sarah acknowledges that she's not running much of her income, along with her popularity, will dry up and hopefully she'll take a long walk off a short pier.

Posted by: Tyron | May 16, 2011 1:16:27 PM