Gay Pride | News | South Carolina

Watch: Upstate Pride SC Gets One Word Answer from County Chair on Request for Proclamation

Spartanburg

Upstate Pride South Carolina got a rude and dismissive response from the County Chair after the group requested an LGBT proclamation from the Spartanburg County Council designating June 4 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Day in Spartanburg County.

Watch WSPA's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He invested EXACTLY as much time, energy and effort as he thinks gay people are worth, and not one ounce more.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 18, 2011 9:41:27 AM

2. The Chairman's contact info:
    Council: Jeffrey A. Horton
    Phone: (864) 583-0963
    Fax: (864) 582-4182
    Email: jhorton@spartanburgcounty.org

Posted by: JNJ | May 18, 2011 9:42:59 AM

3. And people still vacation in that lovely state-who knew?

Posted by: nick | May 18, 2011 9:48:52 AM

4. This, from a state that's still fighting the Civil War? I am shocked.

Posted by: BradK | May 18, 2011 9:54:25 AM

5. "I'm actually surprised that he responded at all and invested as much as he did. He probably feels that he was being generous."
    ---------------------------------------
    This was clearly a passive aggressive act. He went out his way to make it known to the writer that he's not worth his time.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | May 18, 2011 10:04:39 AM

6. I am surprised. Not that a Bible Belt politician said "no" to gay pride, or that he rudely dismissed gay constituents, but that upstate South Carolina is now having its THIRD gay pride festival! As an ex-South Carolinian who went to college in that area, I think that's wonderful.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 18, 2011 10:07:24 AM

7. Since when does an organization send a request of this sort by e-mail? It is usually done by a proper letter sent to the government organization, or an appearance is made at a public meeting.

Posted by: brent | May 18, 2011 10:21:28 AM

8. I have never been to South Carolina. I hope to keep it that way.

Posted by: Markles | May 18, 2011 11:40:10 AM

9. South Carolina is a beautiful state and is changing very fast because of the younger generations taken over. Our state population and housing market has grown like crazy esp. in Greenville (Upstate) because of all the new jobs and so many northerners moving to our state. South Carolina will be a much better state soon when all these old baby boomers die off. I am just glad I live in a gay friendly city of SC (Greenville).

Posted by: Allen | May 18, 2011 12:58:43 PM

10. South Carolina has some extremely hospitable people which have treated my partner and I with respect every time we've gone there, specifically to the Charleston area and the beaches.

Just as there are gay people everywhere, there are hateful, bigoted people everywhere.

Posted by: johnny | May 18, 2011 7:00:46 PM

11. He got an email from me that was about as rude as his response to Upstate. He can choke on it.

Posted by: John | May 18, 2011 7:16:28 PM

12. LET THEM HAVE IT!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 19, 2011 3:32:56 PM

13. Please sign our petition and let Spartanburg County Council know that we support Civil Rights.

Posted by: Jason Easley | May 20, 2011 12:33:09 PM

14. @Allen: I agree and isn't it kind of sad? We have to wait for people (homophobes, specifically) to die so that we can be accepted. Gay pride parades should adopt "Just Die Already!" as their comical slogan for peace and acceptance.

Posted by: Drew | May 21, 2011 1:26:17 AM

15. Thank you for spreading the word of the challenges we face in SC. Anyone in decent travel distance, I invite you to visit us and march with us. Yiu will meet wonderful people who support the gltbiq community. Of course, you will also see some small minded protesters, but that just reminds us that we are on the right side of history. Come help us change the world! W ww.upstatepridesc.org

Posted by: Phyllis Wyatt | May 22, 2011 2:19:51 PM