Comments

1. TampaZeke says

He invested EXACTLY as much time, energy and effort as he thinks gay people are worth, and not one ounce more.

2. says

“I’m actually surprised that he responded at all and invested as much as he did. He probably feels that he was being generous.”
    —————————————
    This was clearly a passive aggressive act. He went out his way to make it known to the writer that he’s not worth his time.

3. Dastius Krazitauc says

I am surprised. Not that a Bible Belt politician said “no” to gay pride, or that he rudely dismissed gay constituents, but that upstate South Carolina is now having its THIRD gay pride festival! As an ex-South Carolinian who went to college in that area, I think that’s wonderful.

4. brent says

Since when does an organization send a request of this sort by e-mail? It is usually done by a proper letter sent to the government organization, or an appearance is made at a public meeting.

5. Allen says

South Carolina is a beautiful state and is changing very fast because of the younger generations taken over. Our state population and housing market has grown like crazy esp. in Greenville (Upstate) because of all the new jobs and so many northerners moving to our state. South Carolina will be a much better state soon when all these old baby boomers die off. I am just glad I live in a gay friendly city of SC (Greenville).

6. johnny says

South Carolina has some extremely hospitable people which have treated my partner and I with respect every time we’ve gone there, specifically to the Charleston area and the beaches.

Just as there are gay people everywhere, there are hateful, bigoted people everywhere.

7. Drew says

@Allen: I agree and isn’t it kind of sad? We have to wait for people (homophobes, specifically) to die so that we can be accepted. Gay pride parades should adopt “Just Die Already!” as their comical slogan for peace and acceptance.

8. says

Thank you for spreading the word of the challenges we face in SC. Anyone in decent travel distance, I invite you to visit us and march with us. Yiu will meet wonderful people who support the gltbiq community. Of course, you will also see some small minded protesters, but that just reminds us that we are on the right side of history. Come help us change the world! W ww.upstatepridesc.org