Houston | News | Transportation

BigGayDeal.com

Southwest Pilot Suspended for 'Fag' Rant Broadcast Over Air Traffic Control Frequency: LISTEN

A Houston-based Southwest Airlines pilot has been suspended after his cockpit microphone transmitted a lengthy rant to control towers and other aircraft over an area of hundreds of miles. The transmission blocked other communications on the frequency, KPRC reports.

Southwest Pilots within certain altitude guidelines over that entire geographic area were unable to communicate with Houston Center air traffic controllers for the entire four-minute duration of his conversation since his headset microphone was stuck.

Terry Maxon at the Dallas Morning News explains:

The theme of his profanity-filled comments was his disappointment at the lack of available dating partners among flight attendants. He said of 12 flight attendants he flew with during a certain period, 11 were gay and one was a "granny."

"Think of the odds of that. I thought I was in Chicago, which was Party Land. After that, it was a continuous stream of gays and grannies and grandes," the pilot said.

"Six months, I went to the bar three times - three times! Once with the granny and the fag, and I wish I hadn't gone. At the very end, with two girls, one of them that was probably do-able. But we ended up going to the bar and then the crew room in St. Louis and all these women wanted to do was, one wanted to berate her sister and the other wanted to bitch about her husband. Literally. For three hours, me and the FO. When that was done, 2:30, got back to my room, I'm like, 'Why the **** did I stay up?'"

The rant goes on. Listen below.

RAW AUDIO (warning: language):

Watch KPRC's report on the incident HERE.

Comments

1. Not sure I'd call this a "fag rant". Yes, he said the F word, but he doesn't seem anti gay, just horny for a woman and sexually frustrated. He even went to a bar with a gay guy.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 22, 2011 12:48:03 PM

2. Ahahaha, that is fuckin' hilarious!

Straight guys are so stupid.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 22, 2011 12:53:31 PM

3. Did you miss the "fkng a-- fkng homosexuals" part? And the part where he sd he hates "100% of them"? I just don't know what it takes for someone to be fired these days. FIRED. I know there are unions involved in airlines but COME ON. I would like to see what would happen to me or any of my friends if we went off on some insane rant at our jobs. What if this was a racial rant? Would he still be suspended and given "sensitivity training"?

Posted by: AJ | Jun 22, 2011 12:56:43 PM

4. Brian...Are you kidding? He said the F word and indeed ranted about gays throughout. At one point even pointedly said he hated them which seems rather alarming for someone trusted with the safety of all passengers and crew (including the gay ones). His motivation is his pathetic insecurity and likely how others are repelled by his personality, which leaves him sexually frustrated. Frankly, that's probably the case with many anti-gay people. If I was from Houston, I'd be mad, too, as he basically calls them ugly.

Posted by: Jesse | Jun 22, 2011 12:57:08 PM

5. LOL - Was that Ron Burgandy - AIRLINE PILOT

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 22, 2011 1:08:02 PM

6. Scenarios;
    1. He keeps his job and gets to offer one of those half ass, I'm sorry, only because I got caught apologies.
    2. He keeps his job and I want to be a fly on the cabin wall to see the reception he gets from his flight crews from now on (don't piss off grannie).
    3. Oh, hell, I'm just living for # 2. :-)

Posted by: topblknavy | Jun 22, 2011 1:11:31 PM

7. Never mind then, I'm at work and can't listen to the audio. I figured the text would be the most controversial part, and it seemed quite mild, and pretty funny. But the rest of the audio sounds much worse, so my bad.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 22, 2011 1:11:46 PM

8. I contacted Southwest Airlines and registered a complaint about this insensitive pilot's homophobic and sexist comments. Even though I primarily agree with Brian (see first comment), I still found it insulting and offensive.

Posted by: Frederick | Jun 22, 2011 1:20:52 PM

9. A lot of straight men have virulent homophobic views that they express amongst themselves so this is no surprise. In male dominant workplaces this is usually the case.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jun 22, 2011 1:22:34 PM

10. This is very typical of airline pilots. A lot of them are ex-military guys who love to show off. While most of them are OK, there are the type that are rude and crude. Let's face it, there are pilots who fly A380s and there are those who fly Southwest...get it? He won't get fired--only if he had railed against blacks or Jews would that happen!

Posted by: LAX/JFK | Jun 22, 2011 1:22:58 PM

11. What's a "grande"?

Posted by: Vlad | Jun 22, 2011 1:23:44 PM

12. "Southwest Airlines gonna save you, save you from a boring daaaaaaay."

Spreadin' LUV all over Texas....

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 22, 2011 1:26:08 PM

13. Ron Burgundy... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's priceless. I was thinking this was some sort of outtake from MadMen.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 22, 2011 1:29:52 PM

14. He's already back on the job, the article said this happened in March and he's had 'sensitivity' training.
    Doesn't quite seem like he was really punished much. He should have been fired.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 22, 2011 1:32:45 PM

15. re: Vlad A grande would be a fat chick, in his vernacular.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 22, 2011 1:34:26 PM

16. NOW NOW DEARS, CAN WE NOT RELATE TO THE POOR MAN'S PROBLEM WHICH IS BASICALLY ONE OF NOT GETTING LAID. THOUGH PERSONALLY I'VE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM THANKS TO MOTHER NATURE'S GENEROUS GIFTS OF BEAUTY AND TALENT, I CAN CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND HIS FRUSTRATION. I THINK WE SHOULD JUST ALL CHIP IN AND GET HIM A NICE HOOKER FROM SALT LAKE. NOW THAT WOULD BE THE CHRISTIAN THING TO DO.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Jun 22, 2011 1:37:11 PM

17. In defense of Southwest - they are a great community partner to the gay community in Dallas. It is always great to see their contingent of employees marching in the Pride parade each year. This guy is reprehensible and his actions/comments are the vile ramblings of a fool. He'll either learn from this incident, or he'll find himself out of a job.

Posted by: Paul | Jun 22, 2011 1:40:53 PM

18. I think this should be heard by everyone in America - it's the perfect example of how straight men talk about gay men, and straight women they don't find attractive, when they think no one is listening. This guy is also probably a Republican.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 22, 2011 1:44:58 PM

19. There are so many reasons why this man was suspended besides using the word "fag." Tied up air traffic control communications for four minutes. Distracting other pilots by broadcasting this to other flights. Spoke of his work colleagues as though their primary reason for existing was to have sex with him. Basically, complaining that he was not the center of everyone's attention. "I didn't know the microphone was on" makes me wonder what other details he doesn't notice while flying a jet full of people. Yes, lots of reasons besides using the word "fag."

Posted by: james | Jun 22, 2011 1:46:43 PM

20. Whaddya' want to bet the reason he can't get laid has nothing to do with the 'fags' and the 'grannies' and the 'grandes' and everything to do with the fact that he's probably fugly as hell?

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 22, 2011 1:49:19 PM

21. Ah, thanks Daniel - I'm blinded by my coffee cravings.

Posted by: Vlad | Jun 22, 2011 1:50:17 PM

22. This is common in any job, unfortunately. He just got caught. I am a pilot for a major airline; I think something more then "sensitivity training," is appropriate. The ratio of military pilots to civilian trained pilots is not as high, as it used to be. There are more pilots, like myself, that did not start out in the military. I have heard comments like these, for years. I must say, it has gotten much better. That does not excuse what this idiot said, however. I am sure the NGPA (National Gay Pilots Association) https://secure.ngpa.org/ will have something to say about this incident.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 22, 2011 1:51:20 PM

23. Yet another ungrateful sodomite frustrated by the lack of living blow up dolls.

Posted by: whatev | Jun 22, 2011 2:02:44 PM

24. If this wasn't Southwest, I would have guessed the only reason he was supended was because of the potential danger he caused by blocking transmission. I also wonder if the guy's married, because if so, this is how his poor wife would have found out about his extramarital activities. And is 'grande' the next derogatory word to be struck form the civilized lexicon? Anyway, people like this make a very good argument for the death penalty. No amount of sensitivity training is going to fix this hater.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 22, 2011 2:08:55 PM

25. WOW !!!!!! Heads better roll over this !

Posted by: MarkBoston | Jun 22, 2011 2:15:12 PM