Houston | News | Transportation

Southwest Pilot Suspended for 'Fag' Rant Broadcast Over Air Traffic Control Frequency: LISTEN

A Houston-based Southwest Airlines pilot has been suspended after his cockpit microphone transmitted a lengthy rant to control towers and other aircraft over an area of hundreds of miles. The transmission blocked other communications on the frequency, KPRC reports.

Southwest Pilots within certain altitude guidelines over that entire geographic area were unable to communicate with Houston Center air traffic controllers for the entire four-minute duration of his conversation since his headset microphone was stuck.

Terry Maxon at the Dallas Morning News explains:

The theme of his profanity-filled comments was his disappointment at the lack of available dating partners among flight attendants. He said of 12 flight attendants he flew with during a certain period, 11 were gay and one was a "granny."

"Think of the odds of that. I thought I was in Chicago, which was Party Land. After that, it was a continuous stream of gays and grannies and grandes," the pilot said.

"Six months, I went to the bar three times - three times! Once with the granny and the fag, and I wish I hadn't gone. At the very end, with two girls, one of them that was probably do-able. But we ended up going to the bar and then the crew room in St. Louis and all these women wanted to do was, one wanted to berate her sister and the other wanted to bitch about her husband. Literally. For three hours, me and the FO. When that was done, 2:30, got back to my room, I'm like, 'Why the **** did I stay up?'"

The rant goes on. Listen below.

RAW AUDIO (warning: language):

Watch KPRC's report on the incident HERE.

Comments

1. This pilot should be terminated and I am surprised that his identity has not been leaked to the press.

Posted by: JDMdallas | Jun 22, 2011 2:28:39 PM

2. Hopefully he doesn't come back to that job. The working conditions sound awful! I mean, not one doable coworker? Horrendous!

Posted by: Randy | Jun 22, 2011 3:32:30 PM

3. OK, the guy's an Ahole, but come on, most of these flight attendants are walking sterotypes. They must know how people view them.

Posted by: MacroT | Jun 22, 2011 3:50:42 PM

4. 11/12 sounds about right to me.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 22, 2011 3:55:43 PM

5. You know what? I don't even care that he's a complete jerk. I really don't. So what? There are assholes everywhere, and no matter how much we want it, not everyone's going to be alright with gay people. I wish he'd change his mind.

What I'm more concerned about--why he needs to be fired--is that he turned on the microphone and tied up frequencies and put the safety of passengers at risk. He needs to be cut off.

Posted by: Yuki | Jun 22, 2011 5:33:33 PM

6. He sounds like your typical frustrated straight guy who can't get laid-he should try going bi on his next flight...

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 22, 2011 5:48:26 PM

7. Wow, MacroT?! Wow?!

Posted by: sugarrhill | Jun 22, 2011 8:13:29 PM

8. I'm confused. Kobe Bryant said "F@G" out of anger and a ref's call and there's calls that his hefty fine was not enough and that he should have been suspended. This guy is responsible for the lives of 100's of people on every flight and I'm hearing that his comments were funny and common place for a straight guy. I don't get the hypocrisy.

Posted by: dpbfeb | Jun 22, 2011 8:48:35 PM

9. Supposedly he got suspended for 30 days without pay and the sensitivity training, but that's not nearly enough. He put people at risk, he alienated his co-workers, he used very disparaging language against several groups, and he brought a negative image on Southwest, so he should be fired.

Based on what I've read, the flight attendants who work with this man are pressuring Southwest to fire the bigot and there are lawsuits potentially that will he filed against Southwest, so this situation has just started.

This guy supposedly has worked for Southwest over a dozen years. You just know he's some angry, ugly and bitter middle-aged guy having a mid-life crises. More pathetic than anything else.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 22, 2011 9:35:36 PM

10. I was unable to get that DivShare thing to work (why are people always trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?) but you can get the audio in a common-sense mp3 format from here: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/Stuck%20Mike.mp3

Posted by: Randy | Jun 22, 2011 10:28:33 PM

11. I think he's an "everyman" expressing the frustration of white (at least he sounds white) heterosexual men who can no longer take their dominance for granted.

He was socialized to believe that it is an imposition for him to have to work with these second class citizens.

Did he say that 11 of 12 flight attendants at Southwest are gay...that couldn't be right?

Posted by: Edwardo | Jun 22, 2011 10:51:20 PM

12. SW prides itself on it’s Golden Rule….or at least it used to. Diversity training won’t fix stupid.And it won’t prevent him from having his same views even today. His shotgun rant was offensive to gays, women, and seniors in general. Why SW would want to keep someone like that on the payroll is a mystery to me.

Not only is this person not “SW material”, but he created a potential safety issue by clogging the frequency with his ignorant rant. This alone should warrant termination but when it’s coupled with what is obviously a disgusting closed minded horn dog who thinks his job is a breeding ground, it should have left SW with no other option but termination.

I’m disappointed in SW actions on this one. Sometimes actions speak louder than words….and in this case SW has said plenty with his reinstatement.

Posted by: Marty | Jun 22, 2011 11:39:45 PM

13. Whether his microphone was on or not would anyone in corporate America go on a rant like this inside their office??!! Maybe at a private lunch break but don't spill your bigotry and crudeness (and loserness) out to your co-workers at work. The guy is a total loser and should be fired.

Posted by: anthony | Jun 23, 2011 5:42:30 PM

14. His name is James F Taylor ! And yes he is married!

Posted by: Lori | Jun 24, 2011 3:49:39 AM

15. Yes he married! His name is James F Taylor.

Posted by: Lori | Jun 24, 2011 3:53:29 AM

16. Wonderful post -Thanks for sharing this article with me and your reader. I have add your site to my bookmark for search any more article that I am search then I come for your site first for search.

Southwest Transmissions Services