Twitter

Cee Lo Green Apologizes, Explains His Gay Tweet

Late last week singer Cee Lo Green sent a tweet to Andrea Swensson, a female writer from City Pages in Minneapolis who published a negative review of his recent show in that city and whom apparently Green initially assumed was male.

Clg The tweet to Swensson: "I respect your criticism but be fair! People enjoyed last night!I'm guessing ur gay?and my masculinity offended u?well f---k U!"

Swensson herself calls the tweet "just plain weird."

Green has since deleted the message from his Twitter account and has apologized via a subsequent tweet which has also been deleted:

“Apologies gay community! What was homophobic about that? I said I was guessing he [was] gay which is fine but its nice to [know] what u think of me. Nakia and Vicki ‘Team Cee Lo’ are proudly gay and are [my] greatest assets! I'm no bigot or homophobic. [It’s] all a very big misunderstanding.”

Green has given Us Magazine a lengthy explanation about the entire incident:

"She was very critical of me. At the time I didn't even know what gender the person was. I was being a little outspoken that night, a little outrageous," he tells Us. "I always expect people to assume that everything I do is part of my character and sense of humor. I assumed that whoever it was would assume it was all in good fun. It wasn't taken so well, apparently."

"I most certainly am not harboring any sort of negative feeling toward the gay community. I don't have an opinion on people with different religious, sexual or political preferences," he explains. "I'm one of the most liberal artists that I think you will ever meet, and I pride myself on that. Two of the remaining members that I have on my team on The Voice are proud and outspokenly gay. We just did a team performance of 'Everyday People,' and I picked that song for us to do specifically to highlight how we can get along even though we’re so different."

Though he regrets his choice of words, Green tells Us he shouldn't "have to apologize for speaking my mind or defending my performance."

"If I could take it all back, I would. I was not being serious," he says. "I just wanted to defend our performance. It was only our third show with a whole new crew and we were all really proud about the progress that we had made."

Comments

1. He must have been really crunk. Generally, short fat ugly trolls aren't generally considered the height of masculinity. Although, I suppose some are and have their admirers. Cee-lo; however, is NOT one of them. F-u cee-lo. The Voice is a mess of a show. Would be shocked if it was renewed, If so, two of the judges definitely need not be invited back next year.

Posted by: Jesse | Jun 19, 2011 1:04:57 PM

2. What in the world is masculine about Cee Lo?

Posted by: Mr.Bates | Jun 19, 2011 1:05:37 PM

3. "I picked that song for us to do specifically to highlight how we can get along even though we’re so different."

That is exactly the problem, Cee Lo. You are treating homos as aliens. Get right with yourself.

Posted by: rustytrawler | Jun 19, 2011 1:05:40 PM

4. the ones invited back should be adam levine and cristina. blake shelton can suck my cock in hell.

Posted by: nic | Jun 19, 2011 1:19:33 PM

5. Even if this weren't homophobic it would still be sexist at best. What's he thinking?

Posted by: Matthew | Jun 19, 2011 1:21:26 PM

6. "Just wanted to defend our performance.." By attacking the critic? Calling him/her gay? Besides, anyone who has to profess his masculinity is obviously gay. Just weird.

Posted by: tim | Jun 19, 2011 1:22:31 PM

7. The show has been renewed and NBC selected it to premiere after the 2012 Super Bowl. All judges will be back.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 19, 2011 1:22:51 PM

8. Sounds like the same attitude as the basketball players. Someone says something to them that offends them and the first response that comes into their heads to say something offensive back at the other person is to call them gay.

Why is it that calling someone gay is the first "insult" that always comes to these guys minds?

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 19, 2011 1:23:59 PM

9. What is a Cee Lo, and does it only come in green?

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 19, 2011 1:26:58 PM

10. I hate when people use the word "preference" when talking about sexuality. It implies there's a choice. If there needs to be any word other than "GAY", I'd rather people used "orientation"...

It's like using "tolerance" instead of "acceptance." I don't know about all of you, but I'm DONE being "tolerated."

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 19, 2011 1:30:22 PM

11. Filed under "who the f**k cares"

Posted by: Alan | Jun 19, 2011 1:36:29 PM

12. Uffda. Another creep we don't need to hear about.

Posted by: Bear | Jun 19, 2011 1:41:42 PM

13. And even if the reviewer were gay, why exactly would that person be offended by overt masculinity?

Face it, dude, you don't even understand YOUR OWN prejudices!

Seriously, these dimwitted people are EXHAUSTING!!!

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jun 19, 2011 1:44:07 PM

14. I actually don't know much about Cee-Lo, except his song and the Voice, but he does have two gay members (out of 4) on his team and I would not be surprised if those are the two that advance to the next round. I don't think this case is like Tracy Morgan and I think we can cut some folks some slack, even if what they say is offensive or just coming from a place of heterosexual privilege. Yes, he may have misspoke, but let's not treat him as the enemy. A friendly correction and explanation is all that may be needed here.

Posted by: downtownla | Jun 19, 2011 1:45:08 PM

15. @ Kevin,

Yup, I picked up on Cee Lo Green's use of the word "preference," too.

But, look, people, despite Cee Lo's inappropriate Tweetburst, I, for one, don't think he's homophobic. Ignorant, maybe. But homophobic. Nah.

Now let's all relax and enjoy the rest of our weekend but before you log off, listen to this joyous, frolick-in-the-meadows, feel-good song by none other than the masculine crooner, himself, Cee Lo Green: www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fD_UaSyo4

Posted by: Jedi | Jun 19, 2011 1:52:35 PM

16. how many men are named Andrea? I think I've known two Andreas and they were both female

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 19, 2011 1:59:43 PM

17. Note to Cee Lo,

You are a highly unattractive man and your mouth makes you even uglier.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 19, 2011 2:04:59 PM

18. "I'm guessing ur gay?and my masculinity offended u?"

ROTFALMAO!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 19, 2011 2:05:42 PM

19. @ Gover Underwood,
    it's actually a fairly common Italian name.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jun 19, 2011 2:05:48 PM

20. "I respect your criticism but be fair! People enjoyed last night!I'm guessing ur gay?and my masculinity offended u?well f---k U!"

“Apologies gay community! What was homophobic about that?"

Assuming gay men can't or aren't masculine. That is what was homophobic about that.

Posted by: huh? | Jun 19, 2011 2:08:32 PM

21. I'm not following how his tweet is homophobic. It sounds like he was perplexed (asking a question) - as "If you're gay, how is me acting overtly masculine offending you?" It's a stupid statement (a little ignorant) but not homophobic.

Posted by: jj | Jun 19, 2011 2:12:08 PM

22. @ ALLBEEFPATTY,

Yes, I'm sure Cee Lo is logging on to towleroad.com and reading your (puerile) message...

Apology accepted, by the way, Cee Lo, if you're reading this.

Posted by: Jedi | Jun 19, 2011 2:20:19 PM

23. Black men hate the gays. Those poor sodding down low brothers have some serious issues.

Posted by: allan | Jun 19, 2011 2:26:09 PM

24. "I was being a little outspoken that night, a little outrageous..."

I can't wait to work Stepin Fetchit and jungle bunnies with bones through their noses screaming "Ooga Booga!" into my act. It'll be outspoken, it'll be outrageous, and of course it'll be ok because, like, you know… Some of my best friends are negroes.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 19, 2011 2:32:43 PM

25. What I take umbrage with is his belief the gay automatically equals effeminate and the idea that an effeminate person should be offended by masculinity. Some gays are more traditionally masculine, while others are effeminate, while others still lie somewhere in between. There's no reason to feel threatened or offended by anyone along the spectrum.

Posted by: Rick in Cincinnati | Jun 19, 2011 2:43:03 PM