Twitter

Cee Lo Green Apologizes, Explains His Gay Tweet

Late last week singer Cee Lo Green sent a tweet to Andrea Swensson, a female writer from City Pages in Minneapolis who published a negative review of his recent show in that city and whom apparently Green initially assumed was male.

Clg The tweet to Swensson: "I respect your criticism but be fair! People enjoyed last night!I'm guessing ur gay?and my masculinity offended u?well f---k U!"

Swensson herself calls the tweet "just plain weird."

Green has since deleted the message from his Twitter account and has apologized via a subsequent tweet which has also been deleted:

“Apologies gay community! What was homophobic about that? I said I was guessing he [was] gay which is fine but its nice to [know] what u think of me. Nakia and Vicki ‘Team Cee Lo’ are proudly gay and are [my] greatest assets! I'm no bigot or homophobic. [It’s] all a very big misunderstanding.”

Green has given Us Magazine a lengthy explanation about the entire incident:

"She was very critical of me. At the time I didn't even know what gender the person was. I was being a little outspoken that night, a little outrageous," he tells Us. "I always expect people to assume that everything I do is part of my character and sense of humor. I assumed that whoever it was would assume it was all in good fun. It wasn't taken so well, apparently."

"I most certainly am not harboring any sort of negative feeling toward the gay community. I don't have an opinion on people with different religious, sexual or political preferences," he explains. "I'm one of the most liberal artists that I think you will ever meet, and I pride myself on that. Two of the remaining members that I have on my team on The Voice are proud and outspokenly gay. We just did a team performance of 'Everyday People,' and I picked that song for us to do specifically to highlight how we can get along even though we’re so different."

Though he regrets his choice of words, Green tells Us he shouldn't "have to apologize for speaking my mind or defending my performance."

"If I could take it all back, I would. I was not being serious," he says. "I just wanted to defend our performance. It was only our third show with a whole new crew and we were all really proud about the progress that we had made."

Comments

1. Thanks for confirming the racism that so many readers of Towleroad have come to expect on a post like this. Ignorant fool.

Posted by: redball | Jun 19, 2011 2:50:09 PM

2. That was to cunty fool Allan

Posted by: redball | Jun 19, 2011 2:53:07 PM

3. Cee-Low... that was wrong, man. You are FAT and BLACK, you should be the last person throwing out names at folks. You have a lot of gay fans that I hope can forgive your ULTIMATE STUPIDITY! Next time, just apologize and don't try to explain it. There is no excuse, and you are ROTTED.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 19, 2011 3:27:24 PM

4. Some of you have asked why the tweet was homophobic. Perhaps it wasn't since I can read it a few different ways, especially since he's responding to something said in the critique. The ambiguity doesn't matter. If you use twitter...be a little more effing clear about what you tweet. If 50 characters(or whatever) isn't enough to get your point across clearly and without the potential for misinterpretation, then shut the eff up. I don't feel bad for artists who have been misinterpreted tweets. If you choose to communicate via that mode of communication, the onus is upon you to be clear and succinct.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 19, 2011 3:37:21 PM

5. One trick pony.....next!

Posted by: Piper | Jun 19, 2011 3:38:25 PM

6. Before all this, I might have heard the following clip someone posted above and liked it:

As it is, the clip makes me throw up in my mouth. Gross.

This dude has got to go. What a hater. Half-ass apology can't undo what he did. Sorry. He just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have him casually marked in my head for never-buy and avoid. I suspect others feel the same way.

And if u listen to his lyrics, what a fake. What a pretender. So lacking cred.

next please.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 19, 2011 4:04:43 PM

7. @jedi.

Of course he is reading this...just like you. ;)

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 19, 2011 4:13:50 PM

8. Ok just to make sure I have it right Cee Lo and Skee Lo are different rappers...one wishes he were a little bit taller wished he were a baller and wished he had a girl that looked good, he would call her and the other one is an ass.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 19, 2011 6:03:56 PM

9. Do I feel he was legitimately trying to kid around? Yes. Was his joke homophobic? Yes.

He thought (assumed, really) that person that was critical of his musical review was gay. Which is irrelevant, and there isn't any reason for him to bring it up. The issue comes where he says "offended by your masculinity." So, gay men aren't real men? Gay men are taken back by "masculinity"? Gay men can't be masculine themselves?

I don't think he meant to offend, and I doubt he's homophobic, but that's the issue. People like Cee-Lo are too ignorant and unaware to comprehend why what they say is offensive, so they become unintentionally homophobic in action. It's one thing to apologize. It's another thing entirely to truly change what's inside your heart. Hopefully he understands and has someone in his ear who can explain to him why what he said wasn't appropriate.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 19, 2011 6:07:11 PM

10. Cee Lo Green is in damage control. His agent must have been on his back about it. In my view, he's homophobic.

Why on earth is supposed gay advocate Christina Aguilera collaborating with him? Shame on you, Christina.

Posted by: adam | Jun 19, 2011 6:35:39 PM

11. "She-Lo" is about as masculine as as Debbie Reynolds. That screeching, high-pitched voice sounds like three cats in heat.

Posted by: Tre | Jun 19, 2011 6:46:22 PM

12. Genesis 2:24 For this reason a MAN will leave his father and mother and be united to his WIFE, and they will become one flesh. Stop apologizing if you say what you mean and mean what you say.

Posted by: jj777 | Jun 19, 2011 7:26:04 PM

13. It's hard to apply reason to ignorant comments. It sounded homophobic too me. After reading Andrea's article, I don't even know why he said that. What does gay and masculinity have to do with it? I love how he named the gay people he's associated with though. That seems to be the standard thing. "But I love the gays! Here look...this gay guy works for me...what's your name again?"

Posted by: daws | Jun 19, 2011 9:02:42 PM

14. Black men hate the gays. Those poor sodding down low brothers have some serious issues.

Posted by: allan | Jun 19, 2011 2:26:09 PM

queen I think you need to go find Ken Melhman! Ask him why he hates the gays?

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Jun 19, 2011 10:01:05 PM

15. Speaking of homophobic artists...an up-and-coming Canadian rapper named Reema Major sent out this tweet on June 9th:

"When i say no homo i mean it. Thats not disrespectful thats honest, I respect yur opinion so respect mine wit that being said.. NO FKN HOMO!"

Although she's not well known yet, I did some googling and found out that she's "backed by Jimmy Iovine. The Interscope-Geffen-A&M chairman signed Reema to her U.S. record deal in 2010." So we'll probably be hearing more from her within the next year or two.

Posted by: Paulie | Jun 20, 2011 2:14:03 AM

16. Personally, I'm not offended. Although, every time I see Cee-Lo, he's looking more and more like a Fat Diddy.

Posted by: Ryon Mikeska | Jun 20, 2011 6:30:11 AM