Chris Brown | Gay Slurs | News

Chris Brown Slams 'Gay' Paparazzi

Chris Brown was caught on video unleashing on paparazzi yesterday while talking his way out of a parking ticket, TMZ reports:

Brown Before sweet-talking the cop, Brown accused several cameramen of alerting parking enforcement officers that his car was illegally parked, ranting, "Y'all n**gas is weak. Did you all call them to try and film me? Y'ALL N**GAS IS GAY."

TMZ also got a statement from HRC

"Invoking words meant to demean gay Americans is just plain unacceptable. Chris Brown should know better. He irresponsibly neglected to recognize the impact of his words and the unacceptable message that it sends to couple the word gay with negative actions."

UPDATE: Brown tweeted an 'apology' late on Wednesday:

Chrisbrown

Comments

1. can someone please educate this man, and i mean on basic english grammar!

Posted by: tom | Jun 22, 2011 8:57:04 PM

2. Oh, really. Who cares? I'm tired of the gay media playing up each and every tiny nuance of suspected "negative" connotations of public figures using the word GAY. Jesus Christ. We're turning into the Thought Police. As gay people, we ought to look into our own backyards with our demeaning sarcasm and bitchy one-liners. They are always meant to hurt somebody. We can be some of the most politically incorrect (and mean-spirited) people on earth and suddenly we're taking offense at an inappropriate use of the word gay and trying to shame the offender.

Posted by: will | Jun 22, 2011 9:06:44 PM

3. Chris Brown response on twitter:

Is Chris a homophobe or just a completely ignorant and immature young man with anger issues? At this point it's so tiring to continue to read about him doing something wrong or saying something stupid. He's just a ridiculous individual. Does he even have a publicist?

Posted by: Francis | Jun 22, 2011 9:09:09 PM

4. Chris is really sad to watch. He's obviously an uneducated man-child and has a LOT to learn. I don't care what he says, but I do wish he'd get some education from SOMEBODY.

Posted by: princely54 | Jun 22, 2011 9:11:48 PM

5. Chris Brown response on twitter:

If he had respect for the gay community, the first thing that came to mind when he wanted to show a lack of respect for someone or to insult someone wouldn't be to call them gay.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 22, 2011 9:30:37 PM

6. Thank you Will. This is definitely a "move along folks there's nothing to see here" moment. He shouldn't be using the word "gay" or "nigg*s" to refer to anyone. He clearly meant it in the gay=lame context. Not excusable, but we have bigger fish to fry. He like myself grew up in the "that's gay" generation.

Chris needs SERIOUS PR help!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 22, 2011 9:45:14 PM

7. Will and Brian are right. Ratting someone out to the meter maid is pretty f*cking gay.

And I say that as someone who loves rats.

Posted by: BABH | Jun 22, 2011 9:50:09 PM

8. Ugh. I drive a lot and his songs come on the radio all the time. I was a huge fan, and this summer he tweeted some stuff that I thought was worse than what Tracy Morgan said... I finally forgot about it and started to like his music again. But now I'm for real done. You can't just use gay slurs every time you're pissed. Well you can but you don't diserve ANY gay fans if you do.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 22, 2011 9:53:50 PM

9. eh not this summer last winter. OCD.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 22, 2011 9:55:18 PM

10. Isn't he the one who viciously beat that woman, Rohanna, and pretty much got off scott free in the court of public opinion. I guess he's not as bad as Rep. Wiener.

He has pretty music, he is pretty, and I admit that I did a double take on his naked pic (I didn't imagine it that way), but this fellow clearly has some reprehensible qualities, no matter what the clever or other commentators here think.

Should all the money on those PSAs down the drain? "It gets better, but Chris Brown gets a pass."? He's expressing a deep-seated (no pun intended) homophobia -- I don't know why these undereducamated fools all go there -- Koby, Noah, Chris Brown-- when they get their knickers in a little bit of a twist.

I support those who are calling them on it every time. Thanks, Andy for posting this.

How else shall we overcome?

Posted by: Fahd | Jun 22, 2011 10:01:29 PM

11. HRC could have shown some more magnanimity and also stated that the use of "niggas" is uncalled for, too. But they only see, hear, breathe gay all the time and to hell with anyone else.

And for the record, the only time I want to hear about Chris Brown is when he releases another dick shot.

Posted by: Brod | Jun 22, 2011 10:13:51 PM

12. Isn't calling them niggas bad too?

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Jun 22, 2011 10:14:33 PM

13. Actually, there is no excusing what he did at all, and the fact he's repeatedly used gay as a slur and other homophobic slurs. So there is something to see here, the fact Chris Brown feels it's appropriate to use gay in a negative connotation when he's angry. At the very least, and what I personally think of him, is that he's incredibly self-involved, immature and classless, not anti-gay.

In any way, he's got millions of fans and a lot of gay fans. They shouldn't have to put up with this man continuously using our sexuality as a means to insult.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 22, 2011 10:17:14 PM

14. Thank you to Brod and Beef And Fur; Brown should be brought to task not just for using "gay" as a slur but also for using "nigga." Indeed, in this context, I think the "nigga" was more reprehensible.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 22, 2011 10:24:17 PM

15. @Brian in Texas....There is no such thing as gay = lame without also implying that gays are lame. Just what do you think the equal sign means?

Or, maybe we can start a new trend. We'll start all the kids saying that's so "ghetto" to mean lame. Or, maybe that's so "black" to mean lame. Maybe that's so "Jew" to mean lame. Do you think we could get away with it? I don't think so.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 22, 2011 10:28:38 PM

16. I thought he was acting like a "n*gga" when he mouthed off like that. He can't afford a parking ticket?

Posted by: Edwardo | Jun 22, 2011 10:30:42 PM

17. "I have total respect for the gay community and my intention was not to insult anyone in it."

he said this the last time. i wish america just turns on him, his actions are atrocious.

Posted by: andy | Jun 22, 2011 10:34:13 PM

18. I'm sure Chris does have respect for the gay community. why else would he apologies. I think we need to pay more attention to the true gay haters in rap and country music.

Posted by: Billy | Jun 22, 2011 10:59:43 PM

19. If you can say the N word because you're black, and the F word or say "that's gay" because you're gay...why can't Chris Brown use both since he's black and most-likely (according to hundreds of reports) gay?

BTW, are we forgetting this is a woman beater?

Posted by: Rin | Jun 22, 2011 11:23:44 PM

20. Let's be honest he's not the first and he won't be the last person to use the term "gay" as a negative. He's not really to blame, society is for making it ok to use gay as a negative term in the first place. Hell, I've even said somthing is gay, and only because people know what I mean when I say it. It's a popular phrase so I'll admit I use it (I honestly could care less though, the word being used as a negative isn't a pertinent issue). However, attacking individuals isn't going to make the problem go away.

Posted by: DaveyX | Jun 22, 2011 11:29:51 PM

21. Francis asked, "Is Chris a homophobe or just a completely ignorant and immature young man with anger issues?"

And do think it's definitely more of the latter.

His violent attack(s?) on Rihanna, histrionic window-breaking outburst during an interview, & seeking counseling for anger management say it all as far as I'm concerned. This young man needs help with his emotions.

Posted by: redball | Jun 22, 2011 11:37:19 PM

22. chris brown can bite me...oh wait...

Posted by: Sean | Jun 22, 2011 11:51:57 PM

23. @ DAVEYX with your oh so sophisticated, devil-may-care attitude towards homophobia, I can't help but wonder what you're doing here.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 23, 2011 12:05:08 AM

24. yeah I don't think he is homophobic more anger issues

see him dropping the n word right and left as well + his past beating on his girlfriend

He needs therapy and maybe some prescription drugs

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | Jun 23, 2011 12:15:18 AM

25. @David R.
    You've missed the point, but no matter. This is already yesterday's news....

Posted by: DaveyX | Jun 23, 2011 2:45:26 AM