France | Gay Marriage | News

French Parliament Rejects Same-Sex Marriage in 293-222 Vote

France's parliament has rejected a Socialist Party proposition to legalize same-sex marriage in a vote of 293-222, the AP reports:

FranceSupporters say it is needed to bring France into line with nearby countries like Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands, which have already legalized gay marriage.

Earlier this year, France's highest court ruled that laws banning gay marriage don't violate the constitution.

Opposition to the bill was led by President Nicolas Sarkozy's conservative party UMP, AFP adds:

"We are against homophobia but we do not want to alter the image and function of marriage in the collective subconscious," said UMP lawmaker Michel Diefenbacher.

Comments

1. @Oakpope A report from Bloomberg just a few months ago put the estimate at 6.3%....and my guess is that it would be about 10% for those under the age of 30. Regardless of the exact figure, my point remains that, as long as Socialists are lax on immigration policy, they will have difficulty staying in power for very long.

I agree, though, that same-sex marriage will ultimately become legal in France....I am just surprised that it hasn't already....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 14, 2011 3:24:45 PM

2. I'm French; and it was no suprise for me to see this vote in this right wing parliament. Next year, there is a general election in France; and it will be a tremendous defeat for Sarkozy and its party! Hope something good will append this time for gay rights in my country!

Posted by: Dani | Jun 14, 2011 3:39:07 PM

3. France - seriously? Vous devriez avoir honte!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 14, 2011 4:00:26 PM

4. Liberté*, Egalité*, Fraternité.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 14, 2011 7:26:25 PM

5. "And now, excusez moi, but we must give Monsieur Hitler a tour of our Grand capital."

Posted by: Mintylaramie | Jun 14, 2011 11:41:53 PM

6. RICK ( Jun 14, 2011 3:02:20 PM )

Maybe you should stop repeating what you hear on Fow News ?
    And your description about moral and sexuality is the way many people in Europe see the USA (a country whith a "anything goes" attitude with sex and morals and so on);
    By the way the Catholic church is actually quite popular in France and can be especially vocal about this kind of "family issues" and one of the reason of the refusal of this law is the (bad) influence of religious movements (among others)

Posted by: Lisa | Jun 15, 2011 2:21:54 AM

7. OSGUY
    I don't want to be mean with you, but no lake or mountain have been renamed in France after the WW2, and if your ancestors come from Chantilly, this is one of the flatest part of Europe, and no wine is produced here. Regards.

Posted by: Lisa | Jun 15, 2011 2:37:36 AM

8. Surprised? Many French homosexuals oppose “gay marriage” – b/c it is a twisted bourgeois institution. Good luck to them I say.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 15, 2011 7:25:58 PM

9. This is OK. I have rejected France in a 1-0 vote.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 16, 2011 5:29:40 AM