Gay Marriage | Missouri | Republican Party

Missouri Republican Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler Compares Same-Sex Marriage To Polygamy, Incest, Pedophilia

The Eagle Forum Collegians, a group that promotes conservatism across college campuses in the U.S., invited a few 'tea party' favorites to speak to them yesterday. Not surprisingly, politicians' speeches consisted of bigoted hate about gays and lesbians.

Vicky Missouri House Republican Vicky Hartzler was up first and made a tired, absurd argument against same-sex marriage by comparing it to polygamy as well as incest and pedophilia:

"Why not let an uncle to marry his niece? Why not let a 50 year-old man to marry a 12-year old girl if they love each other and they're committed? So pretty soon if you don't set parameters, you don't have any parameters at all, the license means nothing, the marriage means nothing....we're saying marriage is between a man and a woman. it's not a right in the Constitution as far as that goes either."

Last year, Mother Jones asked if Hartzler was the most anti-gay candidate in America due to her strong opposition to marriage equality, hate-crimes laws, and the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell."

Florida Congressman Allen West also spoke to the crowd saying “the term ‘gay marriage’ is an oxymoron" since marriage is only 'for creating new life.'"

Watch both Hartzler and West spew their hate, courtesy of Right Wing Watch, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. "Why not let an uncle to marry his niece? Why not let a 50 year-old man to marry a 12-year old girl if they love each other and they're committed?"

What's with the extra "to" in front of each of the words "marry" in this sentence? She's not a very bright woman, is she?

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 4, 2011 7:14:13 AM

2. Another case of people who are backward, uneducated and fearful. Yes, it's bigotry and hatred, but it's born out of ignorance and their having zero close, personal knowledge of anyone who is gay. People like this work very hard at distancing themselves from gay people so they can keep their superstitions about us alive. There's also an undercurrent of selfishness, a sort of "We have this and we don't want you to have it" line of thinking, and they'll say anything to keep it from happening, no matter how facetious or silly.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 4, 2011 7:19:44 AM

3. (yawn)

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 4, 2011 7:45:35 AM

4. As a gay man who came out late in life, after a 15 year marriage to a woman, let me suggest to the good congresswoman that heterosexuality has all the charms of bestiality. (I am sure my lesbian friends would return the compliment.) And as far as homosexuality leading to polygamy, I can't imagine having relations with one woman, much less a half a dozen, so I don't think she needs to worry about that particular slippery slope.

Posted by: candideinncc | Jun 4, 2011 7:52:23 AM

5. Illogical, irrational, irresponsible... all of these apply to this woman and her Eagle Forum. She should be wearing a brown shirt and jack boots.

Posted by: Justin L Werner | Jun 4, 2011 8:18:38 AM

6. If you care to leave a comment for her at https://hartzler.house.gov/contact-me/email-me you can do so by providing the zip-code for her Lebanon, MO field office - 65536. This will get you past the zip-code check. Just change the contact details to your actual zip-code verification.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 4, 2011 8:33:40 AM

7. @candidinnc

do you realize that though these people speak the loudest the polls show the the vast majority of heterosexuals and even Christians support gay rights?

So when I read that heterosexuality has all the appeal of bestiality after you speak of having been married to a woman for 15 years that sounds to me like you're saying

WOMEN ARE BEASTS

and that really, really ticks me off.

I don't think that any of you like hearing that comparison so why turn it around and hurt those people that DO support gay rights AND if you look at Pew and other TTs you will see that its mostly WOMEN--you know, those dumb beasts who are as smart as oxen, etc.

Does anyone take the high road anymore?

And, on the original topic...if polygamy occurs between adults...I don't care. I wouldn't make that choice, but I'm not going to stop another adult from doing it.

Posted by: Rin | Jun 4, 2011 8:49:05 AM

8. What can we expect from a republican right wing group whose leader I believe is Phyllis Schafly and who has a gay republican son.

First of all, this moron should read the old testament where they cull the boring, worn out quote from Leviticus and they'll find that polygamy among heterosexuals is also condoned.

I'd like her to provide the evidence from the 10 countries that allow same sex marriage indicating how high the polygamy rate is and the sexual orientation of those engaged in it. Probably a big fat zero. Maybe she and her bigot compatriots should take a closer look at Islam where hetero polygamy is legal, up to four wives. Why aren't they condemning that I ask?

Posted by: Robert | Jun 4, 2011 8:57:32 AM

9. If anyone has something nice to say to Vicky on Facebook, here's the address:

Here's my angry diatribe:
    Regarding your speech about same-sex marriage given at the Eagle Forum Collegians. You do understand what "consenting adults" means, right? You do understand that a 12-year old niece in not mentally or emotionally able to consent to marrying her 50-year old uncle, right? And I'm sure you must also understand that only "non-related" opposite-sex adults are permitted to marry in the United States. If gay couples are allowed a "secular non-religious" marriage, it does not automatically open the floodgates to every other type of marriage imaginable. I don't recall pedophilia being legalized in Massachusetts in the past 6 years. In fact, I don't recall a single person in the entire country demanding the right to marry their child, do you? You have absolutely no proof from any source that your doomsday scenarios will ever happen. Just be honest, you're looking for any excuse to justify your own irrational hatred of gay people. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 4, 2011 9:02:41 AM

10. Gosh Vicky, why don't you let heterosexuals marry and divorce as many times as they'd like?

Posted by: GJ | Jun 4, 2011 9:10:05 AM

11. I think people who spout this crap are just butthurt cause they can't indulge in their incest/pedo/bestiality fantasies.

Posted by: Bravo | Jun 4, 2011 9:19:57 AM

12. Illogical and does she even know it?

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 4, 2011 9:56:11 AM

13. @Robert: "this moron should read the old testament", and therein is the problem. Very few, especially the Evangelicals, actually READ the Bible, either old or new testament. If they did and they were capable of comprehending what they read, we'd probably have a lot fewer "Christians." We would especially not hear from women, as they have no right to speak out on issues and are nothing more than chattel according to the "good book". The old and new testament are nothing more than studies in ignorance and madness, not just of a sociopathic "god" but his equally as obnoxious "son".

I suggest people who believe in this biblical nonsense actually read the book, cover to cover. It's probably the world's best selling book that very few people actually read and even fewer understand. This woman is just one of a multitude of ignorant religionists, cafeteria Christians who pick and choose their dogma.

I have come to the conclusion that ALL Republicans are ignorant. Some willfully so, others out of laziness and others because they've never had an original thought pass from one side of their brain to the other. Life is so much easier when someone tells you what to do and what to think.

As to providing evidence or facts, these are areas Republicans avoid and if confronted they deny, obfuscate or sue to prevent their spread.

They are losing the culture war. Progress may be slow, but it is inevitable. Gay marriage will happen, it's no longer a matter of "if" but "when" and that is driving the delusional Evangelicals to greater depths of madness.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 4, 2011 9:57:07 AM

14. Same old idiotic arguments. Did she forget "gay marriage" leading logically to man-dog/sheep/cow marriage?

If Vicky wants to include polygamists, the incestuous, and pedophiles in civil marriage she should round up those affected by this discrimination and make her (nonsensical) arguments before the courts and legislatures, as we have. See how far she gets.

The Vickys of the world make this red herring argument as if gay people have just snapped their fingers and been magically included in marriage. And it's always odd to make the polygamy argument since polygamy has historically been all about heterosexuality and male dominance over women--if anything, opposite-sex marriage is the slippery slope to polygamy, not same-sex marriage.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 4, 2011 10:57:23 AM

15. Conservatism is ten times the perversion that homosexuality could ever hope to be.

Posted by: Jeff K. | Jun 4, 2011 11:04:09 AM

16. Hartzler - The act of making Irrational assumptions with NO Scientific evidence what-so-ever. ThE Raping & twisting of the Buybulls Language for the use of Bigotry and Discrimination.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Jun 4, 2011 11:18:24 AM

17. Why let a Christian marry a Jew? Why let a religious person marry an atheist? Why let a single person marry a divorced person?

If you don't have any parameters at all, the license means nothing.

Do these people ever think? They are arguing that nothing should ever change. That something is apparently perfect because that's how it exists now. No thought is apparently necessary.

If you take a moment and answer the questions, it becomes very clear.

You don't let an uncle marry a niece because it's incestuous, and incestuous couplings can lead to unhealthy children. In addition, imprinting generally rules out healthy attraction between relatives. As such, any such attraction is most likely not the result of normal, healthy relations.

Why not let a 50 yr old marry a 12 yr old? I don't even have to break a sweat on this one. Because the 12 yr old is a CHILD! A child does not have fully realized congitive abilities and cannot consent to marriage.

See, there are REASONS not to allow those unions. However, this is not respectable reason not to allow two unrelated adults who love each to enter into this commitment. But of course, they don't want to examine the issue this way because it weakens their case.

Posted by: Matt S | Jun 4, 2011 11:55:23 AM

18. Polygamy is exactly what their "holy" book advocates

Posted by: Steve | Jun 4, 2011 12:19:59 PM

19. Dear Rin--Take a valium and read up on the definition of sarcasm.

Posted by: candideinncc | Jun 4, 2011 1:19:02 PM

20. Bob R, you're absolutely right. I've read the bible twice in my lifetime and I still come away unconvinced and in fact construe it to be one of the greatest books of fiction ever written. The conflicts and contradictions in both testaments are mind-boggling.

Matt S, I concur.

Steve, you're quite right, polygamy IS condoned in the old testament. As for incest, well, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the legality of heterosexuals marrying their first blood cousins. Its legal in New York State where I live and in some others, yet its never considered incest. Rudy Giuliani, our former and serial adulterer who is considering the presidency was one who married his first cousin, committed adultery while still married to her, divorced her, married the second, committed adultery on the second and lastly married the third. The roman cult of which he is a member has never threatened him with excommunication as it has with some catholic democrats. This from a man who claims to be pro-family and against marriage equality and who believes in the sanctity of marriage. To me, the majority of republicans and their tea bagger party scum are mentally deficient, incapable of intellectual curiosity and rely on sound bites and consider them factual, totall brainwashed by their demagogues. Its becoming a cult in some ways.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 4, 2011 1:40:57 PM

21. @Terry-This is what I wrote to the good Congresswoman from Missouri:

Your speech at The Eagle Forum Collegians meeting was superb! I, personally, now realize as a gay man how much my selfish, evil need to get married will destroy humanity. Preventing gay marriage is the floodgate, the lynchpin, which will keep us all from degrading from the civilized society of which you are the shining example, nay, beacon of hope, for, into the incestuous, cannibalistic pedophiles that apparently we all have the potential of becoming!

Thank you, Vicky Hartzler! Thank you! I'm voting against my own selfish interests, and voting Republican in the next election cycle! You've shown me the light! I'm not letting the terrorists win, I'm going to vote against my own rights and happiness, because denying people their liberty and pursuit of happiness is just the American thing to do!

Posted by: Travis | Jun 4, 2011 2:01:22 PM

22. Wasn't the slippery slope argument made against women speaking in public, voting and running for public office?

Posted by: Shawn | Jun 4, 2011 3:07:02 PM

23. If this all sounds familiar, it's because Obama and his DoJ were using the same vile language to defend DOMA.

His DoJ claimed that

DOMA is constitutional because incest and child rape cases make it so,

DOMA is good because it saves the federal government money,

DOMA is constitutional because GLBT folks have no constitutional right to marriage

DOMA is constitutional because LGBT folks have no right to recognition of their marriages by other states,

DOMA is constitutional because LGBT people don't deserve same scrutiny in court that other minorities receive,

DOMA is rational and reasonable for our society.

Since then 29 million voters deserted the Democrats (the difference between 2008 and 2010) and Democrats, especially Obama, are peeing their pants wondering if they'll get reelected) and unions are talking about dropping them altogether.

Republicans are union busting, war mongering right wing scum with a theocrat attached at the hip.

Democrats are Republicans in drag.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jun 4, 2011 4:02:56 PM

24. I live in Mrs. Hartzler's district. Needless to say, when it was announced that she won, I physically became ill. There are many such people who live here who believe like she does. Imagine what it's like to grow up in such a place. BUT, there are also good caring people who live here. I am thankful every day for them.

Posted by: Jon | Jun 4, 2011 4:38:50 PM

25. Well, it's okay with me if she wants to make a comparison like that as long as I can compare her with a Bronze-age savage.

Posted by: Danny | Jun 4, 2011 4:53:45 PM