2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Mitt Romney | Mormon | News | Republican Party

Mitt Romney Says He Opposes Discrimination Against Gays, Except When He Supports It: Video

Romney

Mitt Romney talks to Piers Morgan tonight on CNN. Among the topics they discuss are gay rights and separating one's faith from one's political leadership.

Says Romney: "I opposed same sex marriage. At the same time I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are gay."

He adds: "I separate quite distinctly matters of personal faith from the leadership one has in a political sense. You don't begin to apply the doctrines of a religion to responsibility for guiding a nation or guiding a state."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Any religion that says it has the exclusive Right Answers is a cult.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 7, 2011 6:16:45 PM

2. "I oppose gay people, unless it offends them and I would lose any of their votes, or the votes of gay-friendly Americans, in which case I will publicly say I'm against discrimination against gay people, and only express my genuine anti-gay beliefs in private, when I'm around the "right" kind of people."

Posted by: JeffreyRO5 | Jun 7, 2011 7:32:40 PM

3. "I opposed same sex marriage. At the same time I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are gay."

Romney's words, Obama's actions.

Posted by: Max | Jun 7, 2011 9:58:14 PM

4. Just what we need: a white Obama.

Posted by: Attmay | Jun 7, 2011 11:15:35 PM

5. @MAX, " I will repeal DADT, I will reinstate DADT."

Obama's actions, Romney's words.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jun 7, 2011 11:38:08 PM

6. While he's hardly a "white Obama" I totally agree with other comments here: Obama says he opposes descrimination and is NOT for same sex marriage. He said this during a debate before he was elected.

I could never understand all the hoopla over Obama when it came to gay rights. He was no different.

At least Mitt's fuckable. Hot!

Posted by: TomJ | Jun 8, 2011 12:07:20 AM

7. In other words, Romney agrees 100% with Barack Obama on the issue of gay equality.

Posted by: Cyd | Jun 8, 2011 1:12:12 AM

8. Obama has exactly the same position and he's not even a moron.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jun 8, 2011 5:00:18 AM

9. I call him "FLIP" Romney... he's a loser. And I love the way he just weasled out of defending his faith. i bet Christians will love that! You CANNOT be gay and support this man... cannot!

Posted by: Jim | Jun 8, 2011 12:14:11 PM

10. The terrible truth is that out of all the Republicans who are running to be president he is probably the most gay friendly, thats if you don't count openly gay Fred Karger.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 8, 2011 12:36:03 PM

11. If you would rather have Barry Soetoro Hussein, AKA, the LITTLE MUSLIM, Half-Breed, Racist, Non-American, PUNK for president than a man of integrity and business knowledge, vote for Barry again. He is without a doubt the worse president you have ever had. Mitt Romney is a proven leader and knows how to run a business. Running this country is a business. I hope my Hispanic friends get smart and see that unless you are just a taker, Barry is not the guy. Yes, Negros, blacks or African Americans will always vote black. Not all, but most and maybe we can't blame them. If you really want CHANGE, vote for anyone but Barry.You who call the Morman religion cultist are really too ignorant to converse with so I won't even try to explain it to you because it would be way over your heads.
    Concerned AMERICAN,