Gay Marriage | New York | News

NY Majority Leader Dean Skelos Says Senate Conferencing Same-Sex Marriage Bill Today: VIDEO

Ds

Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos emerged from his office today and told reporters that the Senate GOP would be conferencing the marriage equality bill today, but would not give any answers regarding timing of a vote or if that vote would happen, and said that would be decided in conference.

Said Skelos: “We’re going to conference the language of the amendments; we’re going to conference the whole issue. And I expect that that’s going to take a little time.”

Watch (clip is a bit quiet), AFTER THE JUMP...

Skelos office is (518) 455‑3171. Call and ask him to bring the bill to the floor for a vote.

Comments

1. IOW it won't be voted on today and thus "embarass" Obama when he has his fund-raiser tonight.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 23, 2011 2:17:27 PM

2. @Jollysocks: I think Skelos is probably safe, a non-vote means people like Ball, Girsanti, McDonald, Alesi, and there is another GOP Senator who just squeaked into office are all going to be heavily targeted, some from both sides.

There are probably a few more, but failure to vote and failure to pass guarantees marriage equality is a key issue in 2012, pumping lots of money into a targeted group of districts.

Posted by: searunner | Jun 23, 2011 2:18:50 PM

3. If I were Cuomo, I'd demand at least one more republican guarantees a vote based on the changes in language. Even if there hadn't been other issues, rent control, the property tax cap, the GOP would still find an excuse to foot-drag. In essence, they really don't want it passed, that's what its all about, plus they're playing to their bigot religious base.

If this passes today or tomorrow, I'd like to see a bill introduced in the next session calling for the removal of every religious cult's tax exemptions for interfering in the political process as well as harrassing and threatening politicians to support and vote for discrimination in what is a purely state civil right issue. Nail them with impunity. Make them pay.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 23, 2011 2:19:56 PM

4. FYI: Skelos's voicemail is recording messages as of 2:20 pm EDT.

Posted by: J | Jun 23, 2011 2:20:54 PM

5. Just wondering if the Repubs are considering the POTUS's LGBT fundraiser tonight, and whether they feel that passing marriage equality will put him in a squirmy situation. If they don't pass it today, then he's got more wiggle room, no?

Posted by: MickleSt | Jun 23, 2011 2:21:58 PM

6. @searunner: Your argument makes sense to me, alas. A non-vote means that the base might feel Repubs have done their job, and then brings influx of attention and cash their way in time for next year's campaigns.

Posted by: MickleSt | Jun 23, 2011 2:25:53 PM

7. @Micklest: A non-vote is, in my opinion, the worst possible option. I know others disagree. It makes marriage equality a 2012 campaign issue, good luck with that GOP in swing districts and those who narrowly won their seat (Sen. Ball). Also, Cuomo can always call the legislature back into session. Or if he was feeling particularly cocky, he can re-introduce the bill in 2012. You thought there was squirming in 2011 over whether to bring this bill to a vote, 2012 would be even more uncomfortable.

Posted by: searunner | Jun 23, 2011 2:35:58 PM

8. "Sen Roy McDonld expects #gaymarriage vote, and soon: “It looks like today will be the last day, into the early morning hours.” Others unsure"

Somehow I'm still not buying it.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 23, 2011 2:56:00 PM

9. @Bruno:

From the Times Union's Capitol Confidential Blog:

"When you see the chapter amendment bill, you’ll know the end of session is just around the corner. Probably."

Posted by: searunner | Jun 23, 2011 3:11:56 PM

10. @Searunner: And of course very few people have seen the language, let alone a bill, so far.

BTW, some people have mentioned that the GOP are conferencing right now, but I see no evidence of that. In fact, I saw that Libous & Grisanti had a meeting with Cuomo a few minutes ago, supposedly not really about marriage equality.

Also, Greg Ball is basically saying he won't vote for the bill, but that should come as no shock to anyone by now.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 23, 2011 3:35:22 PM

11. I just have this incredible sinking feeling but I'm still hoping. Will the bigots win again? Will Maggie grin and smirk and say soothing things ("We LOVE you gays...") and will Tony snicker and grin with undisguised glee?

Posted by: Abel | Jun 23, 2011 4:01:49 PM

12. And now Lanza is singing a different tune in terms of his own vote:

"GOP Lanza tells me getting the amendments he wanted doesn't mean he's an automatic yes vote for same-sex marriage."

Dipshit. He better just be hiding his vote, cause if this does come to a vote and he kills the bill by voting no -- wow, he's going to have the biggest target on his forehead for many days to come.

Posted by: Jollysocks | Jun 23, 2011 4:14:25 PM

13. It's all feeling more and more like more B.S. from Senate Repubs, and I remain as skeptical as I've been all along. When my man of the past 24 years and I have the marriage license in hand, then I'll believe it.

Posted by: MickleSt | Jun 23, 2011 4:21:02 PM

14. @Bruno: I heard about Grisanti's meeting with Cuomo. Libous said no formal language was shown, but it was discussed even if briefly. The positive is Grisanti was in the room to discuss a piece of legislation that is extremely important to his re-election chances.

As Lanza says he's not a definite even with his language, Alesi warns about reprecussions of not voting.

GOP is apparently holding conference tonight about marriage equality bill (see link above).

It's interesting and unusual to watch the GOP flail around like they are now. Usually it's the Democrats doing the flailing. I kind of like it.

Posted by: searunner | Jun 23, 2011 4:29:06 PM

15. @Searunner: Lanza is beginning to piss me off, although I guess I can see why he does this. In case it doesn't go through, he wants to be a "no" until he has to be a "yes." Maybe. LOL. Tx for the links.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 23, 2011 4:31:38 PM

16. @Bruno: I'm sure Lanza is pissing off a lot of folks. I wouldn't be surprised if he voted either way on the bill.

I do like that Grisanti and Saland have been very quite to this point, especially Saland.

Posted by: searunner | Jun 23, 2011 4:47:14 PM