Denver | Focus on the Family | Football (American) | News | Tim Tebow

BigGayDeal.com

Tim Tebow Can't Talk About Same-Sex Marriage

Tebow

As Sally Quinn (who fawns over the Focus on the Family-supporting Denver Broncos player like a smitten teenager) notes in this WaPo profile, his publicist won't let him answer a question about same-sex marriage:

There is something very beguiling about Tebow. He seems almost an unmolded adolescent who is just beginning to think for himself, examine his life, and ask questions. He is open and friendly with a good sense of humor. It’s hard to imagine such innocence in someone his age and in his field, but talking to him, it’s hard to believe it isn’t genuine. When asked questions he clearly has not been asked before, he ponders and tries to respond as openly and honestly as he can. Only once, when asked about same-sex marriage, did his publicist, on the other end of the phone, protectively jump in to object that that was off message.

The article positions Tebow as a good Christian role model. But as one commenter on the WaPo love letter notes, "Until Tim Tebow distances himself from the hatred aimed at millions of Americans (including quite a few gay teens that end up killing themselves), he has no credibility as a role model."

Comments

1. He has a great jock body but is obviously been religiously brainwashed. And as long as he doesn't start doing anti gay preaching I can enjoy the masculine beauty.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 30, 2011 6:19:30 PM

2. Tim Tebow is my personal role model, not as an athlete, but a genuine man of God who loves and serves Jesus Christ. An awesome brother in Christ!!

Posted by: Javier | Jun 30, 2011 6:29:42 PM

3. Nikko, if you don't like football, go watch ballet. You all HATE Tebow - admit it.

Posted by: JOBE | Jun 30, 2011 6:53:10 PM

4. You can like football and not like all of the players who are playing, this has little to do with the sport itself. I don't care about Tim, he's insignificant IMO, but yes, the people he associates with are horrible bigots and that is a bad reflection on him. It makes him bigoted by connection, and not many people want to support bigotry. I think he's basically a walking robot with no mind of his own, and he's just not important enough for me to get upset over.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 30, 2011 7:32:38 PM

5. Its funny to watch you queers hate someone you dont even know and havent talked to.... but I guess thats to be expected by you people

Posted by: james jones | Jun 30, 2011 9:15:49 PM

6. Francis, do you know the people he associates with?? have to talked to them?? or are you just judging them because thats what your queer buddies tell you to do?

Posted by: james jones | Jun 30, 2011 9:18:40 PM

7. I sat down and watched Tim being interviewed (on I think Jimmy Kimmel) late one night only because I really wanted to hear what he had to say and how he answered any questions thrown at him.

And honestly? I got the impression that he is very naive and kinda....well, a dumb jock. He really has no worldly outlook, and does not seem to have any street smarts. Kinda blonde in thinking if you ask me. Show him a shiny object to keep him occupied sorta thing....

I'm not saying he's stupid, he's just not someone you'd have a conversation with on topical issues and general philosophies. He may be a role model on being a good athlete, but nobody to go to on political or social issues.

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Jul 1, 2011 12:42:29 AM

8. ps like football but don't like narrow minded people . tiebow should keep his warped opinions to himself. not everybody needs to think like he does.

Posted by: walter | Jul 1, 2011 12:42:34 AM

9. There is a common theme in this comment thread that is troubling to me. Everyone wants him to keep his "warped" opinions to himself. Why is it that you people are so outspoken about your own beliefs but want to quell any opinion that differs from yours? As I read through your comments I can see that you are an example of the hate that you are accusing Tebow of having. You hate Christians far more than Christians hate you. And just so you know, just because someone is against gay marriage does not mean they hate the homosexual community.

And people calling others queers and being hateful, is that really helpful? You really aren't any different then the other side of the discussion.

Posted by: Justin | Jul 1, 2011 3:53:03 AM

10. Justin, "You hate Christians far more than Christians hate you."
    So you admit christians hate, but then you go on to say-
    "just because someone is against gay marriage does not mean they hate the homosexual community" Which one is it? Do they hate or not?.
    Secondly, let's be real - it's not gay marriage that christians are against- it's gay equality.

Posted by: Mk_Ultra_Again | Jul 1, 2011 4:31:08 AM

11. Why is it so easy to spew hate or rip a guy who until this point has done nothing but be a great college football player, win 2 national championships and a Heisman trophy? Like many of us, he has faced many obstacles and managed to overcome them. He is just a good guy who has a great deal of faith - leads by example - and tries to help others. Are we at the point in our society where being "good" is a bad thing?

Posted by: GatorFan | Jul 1, 2011 1:24:15 PM

12. All you Fags just want him to be gay, so you have to mock and snide and talk crap. When all you know is his publicist supposedly stopped him before he could answer. Hmmmm, sounds like an evil person, so let's just call him names like we are in junior high school. Let's call him: brainwashed, dunce, predjudice, "weird alien," disrespectful, pretty boy, bigot, "man who has real problems," and, of course 'child.'

Go on, little boy lovers, say what you must about Tim Tebow since he IS a major role model of young men who love God. In fact, say what you must about the God he follows and the people he associates with. YOU WILL NEVER FIND A BETTER MAN IN THE NFL! Which means, its perfect for you to pick on him with your little comments and funny words.

Posted by: Joe O | Jul 3, 2011 11:25:08 PM

13. Allow me to point it out here...

"All you Fags.."
    "little boy lovers.."

and then...

"so let's just call him names like we are in junior high school.."

Hilarious.

Allow me to point out that Tebow isn't going to read any of these comments on this blog, but I find it giggleworthy that some of you "God-Fearing Christian Folk" feel the need to protect his name.

Seriously, I'm laughing here.

And "Little boy lovers"? In 2011, really? So I guess the inverse for you straight assholes is Little Girl lovers, right?

Dickheads.

Posted by: Hypocrisy? | Oct 30, 2011 7:22:39 PM

14. Wow.... a lot of mean spirited comments on here.... he seems like a nice kid and he does not seem to be spewing any hate.... He is young and finding his way, we've all been there, one way or another.

Posted by: Mrkoe | Nov 20, 2011 9:04:38 AM

15. I am totally agree with your oppinion.this blog post is very encouraging to people who want to know

these topics.

Posted by: swarovski | Jan 12, 2012 2:27:07 AM

16. I liken it to a church that says they don't hate homosexuals but then again they preach hatred and fight to deny us legal rights

Posted by: Terry | Jan 13, 2012 10:13:37 AM

17. I don't get why he didn't answer this question. Tim Tebow is a big deal right now and when he was in his mother's womb her dr told her to have an abortion but she said no and thank God. His life almost didn't happen I believe in my heart he supports the LGBT like I do and i'm Christian. I don't think this boy is full of hate

Posted by: Kerry | Jan 13, 2012 10:28:33 PM

18. I have no problem with Tim Tebow being a Christian, I am one also. He just gets carried over the top and away with his faith to the point of nuttiness.

Yes, I love Jesus also, but I don't wear that on my proverbial sleeves or on my face. I keep that to myself. Loving Jesus more than your wife or your husband, and telling the world all about your love for Christ and your faith non-stop is kind of corny, weak-minded and not very adult for a grown man.
    If someone asks me, it's one thing, but I don't feel a need to hype it from every corner of the place like he does.
    He is a very sweet, dear, lovely young man, but someone needs to shake him out of his daydreams and tell him gently, sweetly and kindly as best as can be done that he is acting like he lost too many of his marbles years ago or acting like someone dropped him on his head when he was a young child.

Love him, and love his youthful enthusiasm, but he needs to snap out of some of this. And I don't think the average football fan is really all that revved up to get an earful of religion at a football game. She or he came to have fun and root for his or her team. If the teamplayers want to pray together as a team in a low, soft voice before a game, no problem, but don't put it all over a jumbotron or force the unwilling to hear every word of it. And no-one has to hear about the abortion issue either. They came for a football game not for a kill-joy "wet-blanket" on their enthusiasm.
    If I have to hear about the abortion issue at a football game, I don't think I would attend another football game in person every again.

Posted by: Mousemess | Jan 16, 2012 10:15:26 AM

19. Tom Brady is the man.

Posted by: jack | Jan 19, 2012 11:58:47 PM

20. Someone may have already said this, but it's quite telling of the Focus on the Family lot that they have an advocate who is "is almost an unmolded adolescent who is just beginning to think for himself, examine his life, and ask questions." he's exactly they kind of person they want on their team - gullible, naive and easy to program.

Posted by: jodi | Jan 27, 2012 3:28:05 PM

21. Tebow is just another celebrity who is famous for being famous, like Kim Kardashian. From what my sports-fan friends tell me, he isn't much of a football player. Sure, he is a handsome guy and I wouldn't kick him out of the bed, but what else does he really have to offer? The right is trying to make him out as a hero, given his propensity for public displays of his faith. A real Christian would know Jesus' teaching on the matter: Matthew 6:6 (NIV) - "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Posted by: Jonathon | Feb 6, 2012 4:09:36 PM

22. Self-hating Gay man brainwashed by his stupid fundie mom. Hopefully, some day, he will become enlightened, realize the true meaning of spirituality, and live honestly. Till then, he will misuse religion for the fundie's propaganda machine.

Posted by: RLK | Mar 21, 2012 2:29:57 PM

23. gay rumors bout him abound in the sports world.
    maybe thats why he schleps the religioso thing so hard....

Posted by: chytnia | Mar 24, 2012 4:03:01 AM

24. There is hope and a kind of beauty in there somewhere, if you look for it.

Posted by: Chanel Taschen | May 31, 2012 10:20:25 PM

25. its been clear to me for years that TT is a closet case who became born again at the age of 13 when he started getting boners for guys.

Posted by: boo | Nov 20, 2012 8:40:34 PM