Alec Baldwin | Tina Fey | Tracy Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

30 Rock Co-Stars, NBC React To Tracy Morgan Controversy

Fellow 30 Rock star Tina Fey expressed her disapproval of Tracy Morgan's now infamous homophobic rant, which she called "disturbing." She also comes to his defense saying that he is not hateful. In his apology yesterday, Morgan also stressed that he was not "hateful." Her statement to TMZ:

Tinatracey "I'm glad to hear that Tracy apologized for his comments. Stand-up comics may have the right to 'work out' their material in its ugliest and rawest form in front of an audience, but the violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community. It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person. I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian coworkers at '30 Rock,' without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket. The other producers and I pride ourselves on '30 Rock' being a diverse, safe, and fair workplace."

Another 30 Rock co-star, Alec Baldwin, reacted to the controversy. He tweeted: "No one's making excuses for Tracy."

Openly gay NBC Chairman Bob Greenblatt issued this statement:

"I speak for NBC and myself personally when I say we do not condone hate or violence of any kind and I am pleased to see Tracy Morgan apologizing for recent homophobic remarks in his standup appearance.  We will always recognize an artist's freedom to express him or herself, but not when reckless things are said no matter what the context.  Unfortunately, Tracy's comments reflect negatively on both "30 Rock" and NBC - two very all-inclusive and diverse organizations - and we have made it clear to him that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

Entertainment Weekly reports that fellow comic Chris Rock defended Morgan's rant: “I dont know about you, but I dont want to live in world where Tracy Morgan cant say foul inappropriate s—.” GLAAD tweeted back: “Language about stabbing kids for being gay isn’t ‘foul.’ It’s dangerous.”

The Human Rights Campaign believes Morgan should do more than just apologize: “Tracy Morgan exercised extremely poor judgment and he did the right thing by apologizing. But that’s just not enough. He’s a role model and Morgan now has a responsibility to make amends for his horribly hurtful and dangerous ‘comedy’ routine. He also needs to go further than his apology and correct the record: no one should feel ashamed because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender and they should definitely not become a victim of violence. Words have consequences and Morgan should be held to a higher standard. Until he does something meaningful, his brand will remain tarnished.”

Comments

1. "As for Tina Fey, she's just another liberal who'll defend another liberal. They always stick together. They will hurt and mock others - even through the use of prejudice - but they will get awfully precious if somebody criticizes them."

I just wanted to re-quote Adam's line from above, because it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard and it makes me laugh.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 11, 2011 10:23:40 PM

2. @Tampazeke: reread the comment from the chairman of NBC. He says Tracy and Tracy Morgan.

I'm not saying it's a sufficient response, but he did call him out by name. So did Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. What they didn't say is, "We've got a great new season planned! Without a hate monger!" Because frankly, the last thing I want to see is forced PSAs by Tracy Morgan, much less his continued appearance on an otherwise great show.

As others have implied, the most interesting part of Fey's comments is that they don't ask that the apology be accepted by the GLBT community, but by his coworkers.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 11, 2011 10:26:31 PM

3. Was it me, or was Tina Fey's line "too sleepy and self-centered" a bit glib? Would she have been this glib if he went on a misogynist rant advocating violence against women?

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jun 11, 2011 10:42:38 PM

4. What do you suppose would be the reaction if the actor who plays Kenneth said he would stab his daughter to death if she brought home a n*****? Would Tina be making jokes about how sweet he is? Would he still have a job?

Posted by: Joe Smith | Jun 11, 2011 11:21:28 PM

5. Wasn't it Isiah Washington who was forced to leave Grey's Anatomy for his hate speach? Why not this guy as well?

Posted by: Von Lmo | Jun 12, 2011 12:40:52 AM

6. I'm NOT justifying Morgan by saying this, but Washington did direct his slurs at an actual cast member. Morgan's is in some arguable context of an outside comedy-gone-wrong routine.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 12, 2011 1:34:57 AM

7. @OHPLEASE,

indeed, there is censorship of the most detestable sort on this blog. andy towle has become a limp-wristed observer of the parade of time, content to to wave her handkerchief at tight-panted men on the parade route. she would rather protect a black bigot while censoring real commentary from gay men.

Posted by: nic | Jun 12, 2011 7:51:24 AM

8. how long might it be til my comment gets deleted?

Posted by: nic | Jun 12, 2011 7:54:28 AM

9. @Angela Channing

Tell me, kind lady, how often do people get fired or a group of people work themselves into this kind of outrage when jokes about women are told?

To answer your question, no, she and the rest of the world wouldn't have been as glib over misogynistic humor. They would have ignored that kind of humor, or made it the focus of an entire television program like Two and a Half Men.

Misogyny is so rampant and accepted--hello Rick--that it goes without a blip on anyone's radar. Even women do it to each other.

This is selective outrage. Calling him a homophobe and a jerk is appropriate, calling for him to be fired in moral outrage when television programs like Two and a Half Men pollute the airwaves seems a bit selective in the outrage department.

Yes, there is gay bullying and anti-gay violence. Andy reports on it daily. He doesn't report on violence against women because if he did there would be no room for anything else.

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't be angry, but I am suggesting that people look at what they've laughed at, what they have allowed others to laugh at, and then put their own feelings and emotions into perspective.

Will this make anyone react this strongly when women are disparaged or persecuted?

Will Dan Choi be toppled from his GLBT leadership perch for what he said about "bleeding once a month" as an insult to a man?

Will the plight of overweight kids get national publicity?

I'd like to see us grow as a kinder, gentler, more respectful nation where everyone's feelings are taken into consideration or just let the dice fly.

Posted by: Rin | Jun 12, 2011 8:41:38 AM

10. I think Tina Fey made it clear that his job is in jeopardy.

I think TM's character is likely to be written out of the show.

Posted by: Can't Wait For It | Jun 12, 2011 8:46:02 AM

11. Find out which companies advertise on this half assed show! Send them letters informing them that you find Mr. Morgan's homophobia distasteful and that if they continue to advertise on this particular show then guess what: our GAY dollars will go to their competition!

Posted by: evolutionisfact | Jun 12, 2011 10:17:01 AM

12. i'm terribly disappointed and disgusted by tracy morgan, homophobic tirade. although i do watch '30 rock', i actually never found him funny anyway, but just a new and improved version of steppin fetchin, a sad and pathetic sterotype. i am no longer watching '30 rock',or anything tracy morgan is in. he's simply not that funny,plus theres others out there with far more talent

Posted by: jeffrey stovall | Jun 12, 2011 10:38:51 AM

13. Evidently, the Nashville crowd found his show hilarious.

What does that tell you?

Posted by: wimsy | Jun 12, 2011 12:16:13 PM

14. T and Jinca:

You don't have to substitute "Black" for "Gay"--the little Gay boy being stabbed to death by Tracy Morgan would be Black, wouldn't he? Like you give a f.ck.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2011 9:11:18 AM

15. Really, would firing him even make a difference on the show? He isn't integral to any plot. He just pops into scenes and makes stupid comments.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 13, 2011 10:43:36 AM

16. @Frank: yes, but at least his absence from the show would mean the absence of tens of thousands from his bank account. It would probably make him even more hateful, but at least he'd have a much smaller audience.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 13, 2011 10:47:48 AM

17. Tracy Morgan has made public his disapproval of about gay marriage. I'm done watching. With my remote I can vote for more than politics.

Posted by: Scott | Jun 13, 2011 12:56:15 PM

18. I agree Tracy Jordan went to far, but since I was not there and did not see or hear it first hand it is hard to judge, I think most jokes if you hear them told wrong would sound pretty bad and offensive. Hopefully when all is said and done it is just a bad joke in the end. On a more uplifting note there are a lot of more positive stories by local gay writers at www.thegayhotspot.com I have really enjoyed these reads.

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 28, 2011 6:02:08 PM