News | Tracy Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

Tracy Morgan Apologizes for Homophobic Rant: 'I'm Not a Hateful Person'

Morgan 30 Rock star Tracy Morgan has apologized via his publicist for a homophobic rant that offended fans this week at a Nashville stand-up comedy show:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

Previously...
Tracy Morgan Called on to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Routine, Threatening to Kill Own Son if He Was Gay [tr]

Comments

1. His publicist wrote it.

Posted by: homer | Jun 10, 2011 12:53:21 PM

2. Bullsh!t much?

Posted by: Guest | Jun 10, 2011 12:54:20 PM

3. We all know its a lie. Will we all stand together and boycott 30 Rock?

Posted by: boycott | Jun 10, 2011 12:55:45 PM

4. Wes, Jane Krakowski is very supportive 'friend of the gays' so you must have heard that wrong.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 10, 2011 12:56:10 PM

5. I've never liked him, so it wasn't just "fans" he offended. And how many comics performing as themselves do material at odds with what is in their hearts? He was performing as Tracy Morgan, not Tracy Jordan.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 10, 2011 12:56:24 PM

6. He ranted in the South because he knew that it would be accepted with the Republican State and anti-gay sentiment. If he had pulled the same crap in California, he probably would have played to an empty house.

Apologies of this nature are becoming too common. As with Michael Richards, he apologized, yet the (supposed) Black heirarchy wouldn't accept it and felt it was shallow. The same here. I could care less about the race of the individual or profession, it's the hateful words that were used, not just against the gay community but his own flesh and blood. Robin Williams is funny, Tracy Morgan is NOT!

Posted by: CB | Jun 10, 2011 1:09:13 PM

7. They've been trying to keep a lid on him for some time. Alec Bladwin's announcement that he's going to be leaving clearly means the end of "30 Rock" is nigh. Tina Fey can g on to anything she likes Jane Krakowski's career track is liekwise solid.

Tracy Morgan? How about a remake of "Design For Living" with him Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan. Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino it will end with the trio in a bloody pile thanks to a murder-suicide pact.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 10, 2011 1:12:39 PM

8. Gregoire, I thought so too, which is why I found it so disappointing.

"Spike Lee, John Singleton and "Rock" co-star Jane Krakowski were all in the audience- and gave a standing ovation."

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 1:14:35 PM

9. What are the odds he used the same routine in previous comedy shows, but it just wasn't publicized?

Re the apology: I'm afraid the train's out of the station. And if this is a just world, the train is heading to Michael Richards Land.

If the train appears to be going anywhere other than Michael Richards Land, "30 Rock," NBC, and Tracy Morgan's performances need to be protested and boycotted the hell out of.

I hope Ellen DeGeneres speaks out as well.

The guy said he would stab his son to death if his son were effeminate.

Posted by: Be assertive | Jun 10, 2011 1:18:21 PM

10. Clearly, Jane Krakowski, a close personal friend of Tracy's, knew what was in his heart when she stood and applauded his homophobic jokes.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 10, 2011 1:19:43 PM

11. T-o-o L-i-t-t-l-e,

T-o-o L-a-t-e.

(sung to the tune of Rock Lobster by the B52s).

Posted by: Richard | Jun 10, 2011 1:25:32 PM

12. Apology=PR BS Period.
    Choice of words was the issue?

what?
    you would have beat the SH^T out of your f@***ty son before you lynched his p*ssy N___ a**?

It's satire see MR. Morgan said this:

"He said if his son that was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death."

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 10, 2011 1:26:52 PM

13. I bet he gets a lot more fans for this rant than foes....he got his street cred back and will pack em in...that's the sad truth.

Anyone REALLY think this will hurt his career?
    Or that he takes this seriously?

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 10, 2011 1:32:46 PM

14. NBC NEEDS TO FIRE HIM NOW !!

Posted by: anthony | Jun 10, 2011 1:34:57 PM

15. You know....just because a black person is horribly homophobic doesn't mean it's suddenly OK to use racial invective.

There are black people who are gay. And gay people who are black. No-one should have choose a side.

Posted by: invisible_man | Jun 10, 2011 1:35:19 PM

16. His apology seems rather unacceptable. So here's what NBC should do with the show. The show within the show should be cancelled. That would give NBC the opportunity to reboot the franchise and get rid of the most expensive and troublesome actors. The Liz Lemon character should remain at NBC headquarters in some other capacity so they could retain the name 30 Rock. And they could keep the characters they want to keep in some other role, either as regulars or as guest stars.

Posted by: Charlie | Jun 10, 2011 1:35:46 PM

17. Ii wonder if i called this guy is a ghetto n****r if I could apologize it away and have anyone accept it?

Posted by: lk | Jun 10, 2011 1:39:10 PM

18. Liar and NOT accepted. Not this time.

Posted by: MacroT | Jun 10, 2011 1:39:12 PM

19. Too late to start saying how "sorry" you are now. He's a bigot and needs to be treated as such.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 10, 2011 1:45:04 PM

20. Lame BS apology.

Now that I know what's in this tiny heart, I'll never watch another thing he's on. Good thing 30 Rock was winding down. Scare-Tactics is still on though, which I watched from time to time. NO more!

Posted by: Tonic | Jun 10, 2011 1:45:13 PM

21. oh yes you are the only problem you have is you got caught saying it. another lame apology from someone trying for damage control. boycott 30 rock till he's gone

Posted by: walter | Jun 10, 2011 1:46:03 PM

22. Awe Tracey, you don't have any fans in the Gay and Lesbian community anymore. It's not like you accidently slipped out a n word or f*ggot, you explained why you think gay people choose to be gay and get what they deserved. That's like me explaining that Black people choose to be black and deserved to be enslaved.

That's not poor word choice. That's pure hate. Goodbye Tracey, wish I could say it was fun, but you were never more than a tolerably backdrop to Tina Fey's wit.

Goodbye TN too, for laughing and applauding this vile nonsense. In light of the bill you just passed banning municipalities from protecting gays, in fact banning the word gay, I'll skip your state and your state's products. Pretty sure I can live happily without you.

Posted by: Jake | Jun 10, 2011 2:00:05 PM

23. As I said in the first thread when this broke, I have to reserve judgment. I didn't hear the act myself. "Kevin Rogers said he has a high tolerance for un-PC humor and Morgan went too far!" you scream. "It's ALL there. What more do you need?" "Gay kids are killing themselves because of the the sh!t Morgan is perpetuating!" "The words are all there in the essay!" And, my favorite, "I always knew Tina Fey wasn't really a friend of the gays because of the Gays in Space sketch." Really? LOL. Yeah, Tina Fey, SECRET MAJOR HOMOPHOBE.

You know what words come to mind for me? Context, satire and nuance. And, also, the phrase, "failed attempt at."

I try to not be reactionary when I remember. I'm also very careful when it comes to choosing to play the victim card.

Eddie Mumford (and a couple of the self-identified gay black men to a lesser extent) is the only person on this thread who has made any sense here.

However, what I find may have been of benefit in this whole thing is that, Kevin Rogers wrote an essay calling Morgan out on a bit that didn't work, was offensive and, from the sounds of it, did indeed reinforce homophobic, negative stereotypes in the minds of some of the hateful dolts in the audience. Within a week's time, he has brought it to national attention. And within the last 24 hours, his seven-day-old essay has finally gone viral and Morgan has addressed his behavior and apologized.

For some of you, he'll always be dead to you and "not funny" (interesting how so many on here didn't even find him humorous even once in his career), even if he donates all his money to gay causes and nails himself up on a rainbow cross. I doubt that you were a regular viewers of 30 Rock, anyway.

For me, I will keep on watching, because it's one of the best shows on television.

And, one more thing ...

I'm Brian Fellows.

Posted by: Vinci Smetana | Jun 10, 2011 2:11:12 PM

24. what happened to Eddie Mumford's comments on this thread as well the few other comments which didn't run in-synch with majority of posters here?

Posted by: Vinci Smetana | Jun 10, 2011 2:12:25 PM

25. 30Rock is over for me. Won't be watching that show anymore.

Posted by: Janice | Jun 10, 2011 2:12:36 PM