News | Tracy Morgan

Tracy Morgan Apologizes for Homophobic Rant: 'I'm Not a Hateful Person'

Morgan 30 Rock star Tracy Morgan has apologized via his publicist for a homophobic rant that offended fans this week at a Nashville stand-up comedy show:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

Previously...
Tracy Morgan Called on to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Routine, Threatening to Kill Own Son if He Was Gay [tr]

Comments

1. Go F**k yourself. Hypocritical closet-case.

Posted by: Danny | Jun 10, 2011 2:14:41 PM

2. Vinci Smetana, there is no difference between this and what Michael Richards did. So I'll assume you were all peachy with him too.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 2:15:29 PM

3. Heartfelt apology.No way. He's done this too many times. He has a problem with gay people as does his friend Sherri Shepherd.

Posted by: chas | Jun 10, 2011 2:24:42 PM

4. "You know....just because a black person is horribly homophobic doesn't mean it's suddenly OK to use racial invective.

There are black people who are gay. And gay people who are black. No-one should have choose a side."

Welcome to Towleroad, INVISIBLE-MAN.

Answering homophobic Black folks with racial insults or slurs is a strategy used by either racist or simple-minded White Gay folks. It's meant to shame Black homophobes for their anti-Gay statements, behavior, actions.

The problem is that the insults are aimed not just at the Black homophobe but at all Black folks.

It's like saying, "you Blacks ought to know better" or "...you Blacks turn around and oppress another minority after all your years of complaining" or "...how would you Blacks like to be back in slavery if you treat us Gays as second-class citizens?"

That's the idea behind this strategy: to shame Black homophobes into examining their views and "repenting". But for those White Gays who are racists it's simply an excuse to voice their hatred of Black people. They love it.

Instead of offending the Black homophobe they end up offending Black Gay people (the Black homophobes don't read this blog). But this segment of the White Gay community doesn't give a damn, and so Black Gays (who visit Towleroad) end up having to respond to the racial insults and racial slurs.

I've gotten so used to it, but every now and they I go on a rant as ugly as Tracy Morgan's anti-Gay crap...except mine is aimed at Gay White supremacists--and, unfortunately, I end up offending innocent White Gay folks in the process.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 10, 2011 2:35:56 PM

5. Come on Guys...
    I mean does anyone really think a man would actually kill his own son?
    ONLY if he was a homophobic black male who's son came whining in a f*gg*ty voice about being bullied then HELL YES!....
    ONLY IF...but hey friends know what's in his heart...

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 10, 2011 2:38:16 PM

6. Thank you for keeping up my repost.

However, I'm confused by Towleroad's logic in deleting the comments that it did. While there was one comment that was removed which was obviously ugly, ignorant and racist (the quip about 'what inventions ever came from Africa,' etc), there were five or six comments (including my first post) I no longer see on this thread whose only thing they had in common is that they didn't follow rank and file with the uproar on this thread. There was nothing insensitive, hateful or inappropriate about them.

I didn't think that Towleroad actively engaged in censoring dissent or otherwise. It leaves me, again, disappointed and a little jaded.

Posted by: Vinci Smetana | Jun 10, 2011 2:53:45 PM

7. duh. Now if one of us said the same about Blacks.................... Time for him to go and go far far way. It seems to be the week for ruining careers--first Weiner's weiner and them Morgan's filthy mouth. What an embarrassment to the human race Tracy Morgan is. He actually makes Jason Kirkfield look saintly. Hang it up Morgan , glad to see you go.

Posted by: Amos Lassen | Jun 10, 2011 2:57:39 PM

8. Too little, too late. The words can't be unsaid, the damage can't be undone. I hope no one pays to see this man do anything, ever again. I certainly won't.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 10, 2011 3:11:14 PM

9. I don't get what's going on here. Kathy Griffin is a big fan of his, so I figured he was a gay ally. Maybe not? I hope Kathy, Joy, Anderson & Rachel comment on this. If a white person said this stuff & substituted black for gay (s)he would be skewered -- as Morgan should be.

Posted by: Swine | Jun 10, 2011 3:28:22 PM

10. We can touch on the racial aspect of this, but the reality is, the dude can be purple skinned, the fact is, he's a homophobe pure and simple, what he said wasn't a joke, and he completely stepped over the line and therefore needs to be punished accordingly. NBC and Tina Fey need to fire him. That is the only acceptable option at this point.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 10, 2011 3:37:08 PM

11. Bye Bye 30 Rock.

Posted by: Roseann | Jun 10, 2011 4:17:43 PM

12. If Mr. Morgan has that much hatred toward the Gay & Lesbian community, maybe he should pick up a sign and join The Westboro Baptist Church. You can see their fearless leader, Fred Phelps burning in a neon pink Gay Hell on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/03/fred-phelps-and-westboro-baptist-church.html Maybe there’s room for Tracy to ride the unicorn?

Posted by: Brandt Hardin | Jun 10, 2011 5:53:01 PM

13. I've never felt sorrier for Liz Lemon's problems than I do now.

Posted by: Michael Stone | Jun 10, 2011 6:16:16 PM

14. Yes, I WILL go here... it is the absolute lowest for someone of an oppressed race, religion, or gender to oppress another group of people. To see an African-American male speak so hatefully about gays is repulsive! He is painfully ignorant of the past and what hatred does to our collective humanity.

Posted by: james Brown | Jun 10, 2011 6:37:28 PM

15. While I support Tracy Morgans 1st amendment right to express his bigotry it doesn't mean I must support him. With every right comes responsibilities and consequences, good or bad. I can only hope the consequence is that viewership of 30 Rock declines and Tracy is fired as a result. I know I wont be watching anymore, perhaps not any NBC show. It's my right to change the channel.

Posted by: Ian | Jun 10, 2011 6:54:07 PM

16. to hell with complaining to nbc remember their new owner is more conservative. complain to the sponsor hit them in the pocket book. companies don;t like investing in controversial programing. especially when money is tight.

Posted by: walter | Jun 10, 2011 11:24:27 PM

17. Unacceptable apology.....and why in the world would you think any of that crap is funny. I was once a fan....but you deserve to have your meaningless apology ignored. So now set out and do something for the gay community until it hurts, over and over.
    What an ignorant fool.

Posted by: Steve Lee | Jun 11, 2011 3:54:18 AM

18. Disgusting

Posted by: Uluwehi | Jun 11, 2011 4:10:12 AM

19. Yeah, Towleroad does this all the time. I commented on a vicious racist comment with logic and it was removed. I sometimes think this site has its favorites and if you aren't "in", then you're "out". Oh well. TR's loss is someone else's gain.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 11, 2011 1:52:15 PM

20. I have a "choice of words" for you, Miss Thang, and I'm sure you'll really love them, but I'll keep them to myself because unlike you, I'm a decent human being.

Posted by: Attmay | Jun 11, 2011 8:22:17 PM