BigGayDeal.com

Tracy Morgan Called on to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Routine, Threatening to Kill Own Son if He Was Gay

UPDATED

Yesterday in my news round-up I mentioned that comic and 30 Rock actor Tracy Morgan had unleashed a homophobic rant at a stand-up comedy routine.

Morgan Truth Wins Out, which reported on the story on Wednesday evening, has called on Morgan to apologize for the disgusting anti-gay diatribe:

Eyewitness Kevin Rogers, who attended with his partner and a friend, gives a firsthand account which describes how Morgan’s entire demeanor changed as he allegedly claimed that being gay is a choice, that homosexuality is something that kids learn from the media, and that gay youth victims of bullying are simply “whining.”

Furthermore, he allegedly said that if his son was gay and “whined” about being a bullying victim, he would kill him, using words that will not be repeated here.  Morgan is also said to have called upon President Obama to “man up” and stop speaking out for LGBT kids.  According to the report, these were only some of the most egregious parts of this anti-gay tirade.

Read the full account of the show, which is quite graphic, here.

Morgan's publicist has issued a response to the controversy: "There is no comment, thank you for your inquiry."

Towleroad has reported on Morgan's show once before, in 2009, when the NYDN reported that Morgan's trash talk about gays had inspired a steady exodus of people from his show at Carnegie Hall.

UPDATE:

TMZ said they heard from another person at the show: "TMZ spoke with someone in attendance at the Ryman Auditorium ... who tells us Morgan's entire act was filled with offensive gay jokes ... explaining, 'It was the worst thing I've ever heard ... so not funny.'"

The Washington Post adds:

The Ryman Auditorium responded in a statement, saying the theater “regrets that people were offended by statements” Morgan made, adding that it “does not control the content presented by people appearing on its stage, nor does it endorse any of the views of, or statements made by, such persons.”

And GLAAD has issued a statement:

"Tracy Morgan's management needs to investigate these allegations and should they prove true, we call on him to remove these violently anti-gay remarks from his show and send a strong message that anti-gay violence is not something to joke about," said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios. GLAAD is working to confirm the story with Morgan’s management and hopes to have more details today.

The alleged remarks included that if his son were gay he “better talk to me like a man and not in a gay voice or I'll pull out a knife and stab that little n**ger to death."  He also allegedly aid that "Gays need to quit being p**sies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying." He allegedly added, "Gay is something that kids learn from the media and programming."

Comments

1. I wonder if he was being satirical. In any case, it's boring after a while. I could just as easily unleash a diatribe about black people eating watermelons and it would bore people stupid within seconds.

Posted by: adam | Jun 10, 2011 9:44:57 AM

2. 30 Rock is one of my favorite shows - but it would be even better without Tracey Morgan.

Posted by: Bigg | Jun 10, 2011 9:49:23 AM

3. Thanks for not repeating his words.

There was a very strong response when an anti-gay slur was used against the openly gay actor on a hospital drama a few years ago - the same should happen now with this homophobe.

Posted by: t | Jun 10, 2011 9:49:53 AM

4. Adam - there's quite a difference between making comments about eating watermelon and saying you would stab your son if he was gay. Morgan is a public figure with fans who are stupid enough to agree with him and actually stab their children. Hardly boring, but rather quite frightening.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 10, 2011 9:50:29 AM

5. Morgan's biggest problem isn't that his jokes are offensive, its that they are not funny.

Posted by: Mike in Asheville | Jun 10, 2011 9:59:52 AM

6. This is how primitive people deal with problems in their lives. They stick a knife in it. And stab it and stab it. How many millions of years do you think Africa would have required to find a cure for bacterial infections? To invent a car? To
    invent the computer? A light bulb? A paperclip? Paper? Let's face it, nothing of any significance was ever developed in Africa. So as to Tracey Morgan, I would say: CONSIDER THE SOURCE.

Posted by: dancobbb | Jun 10, 2011 10:08:18 AM

7. remember a few years back when Michael Richards, of Seinfeld fame, went on a tirade against blacks in his stand-up routine? The consequences for him were swift and harsh. He hasn't been heard of again in the entertainment industry that I'm aware of.

Let's see if this similar incident is treated in the same manner. Let's see if it does truly "Get Better" in the court of public opinion.

We won't be truly equal until anti-gay bigotry is considered just as socially unacceptable as racial bigotry.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 10, 2011 10:08:26 AM

8. It is disappointing to me that Tina Fey, who appears to be gay-friendly, would hire someone like Tracy Morgan. I'll never understand why some men like to say homosexuality is a choice. Does this mean Tracy Morgan chose to be straight? I'll know I'll never watch "30 Rock" again.

Posted by: Sarina | Jun 10, 2011 10:08:59 AM

9. Makes it easier to understand why some kids would end their lives.

Posted by: Russell | Jun 10, 2011 10:15:04 AM

10. I've never understood the point of demanding that someone apologize for what are obviously not errors or misstatements. Tracy Morgan hates LGBTQ people and wants gay children dead. He's a reprehensible bigot and statistically likely to be a tortured, closeted hypocrite. What could an apology from such a person possibly mean to anyone?

Demanding that someone bow to social or economic pressure and lie about his or her views strikes me as craven the act of hypocritical fascists who're more concerned with appearances than actuality. I don't allow anyone to control what I choose to say and I don't regard myself as having any right to demand that anyone else say anything at all. The very idea is anathema to me.

The man hates us. Deal with it. Picket his performances, demand that sponsors drop him, parody him, boycott him, demonstrate the falsity of his statements in ways that make it clear he's a sociopath, hold a candlelight vigil for gay teen suicides outside his next venue, sic Judy Sheparad on him, insist that his audience take a position on this issue, bring up the issue of the vile hypocrisy of African Americans who oppress other minorities... Blow the bastard out of the water and watch him flop and gasp like a beached fish while his career tanks and he crawls back into whatever moral, ethical, and spiritual sewer gave birth to him in the first place.

Or simply ignore him. The possibilities are endless.

But demand an apology? What a mealy-mouthed load of whimpering crap. And so very Fox News.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 10, 2011 10:19:14 AM

11. There needs to be video of this. Surely someone recorded it on their phone? If there's video, it will go viral and Morgan might be kicked off. But if it's just reading people's first hand accounts, I don't think anything will happen.

Posted by: Mike C | Jun 10, 2011 10:19:15 AM

12. Tracy Morgan should apologize and make amends, big time. A large donation of time and money to the gay cause is in order. I recommend a cause that helps gay youth who have been rejected by their families.

Also, grammatically, isn't it correct to write, "If his son were gay...", or is no one using the subjunctive anymore?

Posted by: Fahd | Jun 10, 2011 10:23:26 AM

13. I have always thought Tracy Morgan was an idiot, based on the way he talked & carried himself.

This new info hasn't changed my opinion of him, other than to add that in addition to being an idiot, he's a bigot.

Posted by: Joetx | Jun 10, 2011 10:25:36 AM

14. The only person that needs to "man up" is Mr. Morgan.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 10, 2011 10:27:23 AM

15. No, he wasn't being satirical, this is a now repeated theme from Mr. Morgan. He's anti-gay, he's said several times being gay is a choice, and he's basically let it be known he hates us. An individual like him should not be supported by a company like NBC and by Tina Fey. Alec Baldwin has supported us strongly for a long time. There are people in this situation who need to step up and say something here and now about this and not sweep this under the rug. Now that this has gone viral and gay organizations have gotten the 411 on this bigot, there needs to be pressure placed on Tina Fey and NBC to do the right thing. Tracy should be fired from 30 Rock and if he isn't there should be a boycott of the show.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 10, 2011 10:28:00 AM

16. "It is disappointing to me that Tina Fey, who appears to be gay-friendly, would hire someone like Tracy Morgan."

I've been suspicious of Tina Fey's "gay-friendly" credentials ever since she wrote "Gays in Space" on SNL. There were no real jokes written, the humor was supposed to come from the effeminate gay stereotypes of everyone involved. That they were gay was the joke, because "gay" is so funny, ya know.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 10, 2011 10:28:17 AM

17. Gay Hating Black Bigots and White Supremacist Homosexuals...both are bad.

Oh, and DANCOBB, what did your great great great grandmother invent while she resided in that London brothel--before they sent her to help populate the White presence in New World? Venereal Warts?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 10, 2011 10:29:04 AM

18. Maybe his issues are related to growing up tracey.

Haven't heard of Isaiah Washington - from Grey's Anatomy - again, either.

If we don't consider homophobic comments as serious as racist comments, why should anyone else?

Posted by: t | Jun 10, 2011 10:30:03 AM

19. I don't really know anything about Morgan outside of 30 Rock but this kind of shocks me because the show seems so gay-positive and I guess I'm naive in believing that anyone associated with the show would be the same.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 10, 2011 10:37:40 AM

20. I'd ask Bryan to marry me, except we have the same name and that would be weird.

I don't want an apology from Tracy Morgan. I just want him to never work again and fade into obscurity.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 10, 2011 10:40:03 AM

21. "It is disappointing to me that Tina Fey, who appears to be gay-friendly, would hire someone like Tracy Morgan."

Kevin Smith too.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 10, 2011 10:42:48 AM

22. DERRICK: What part of my post is untrue? Lacking in fact? Racist? I have never been a racist, and never will be. But I have eyes in my head and read some history. If that's what it takes to be a racist, then so be it.

Posted by: dancobbb | Jun 10, 2011 10:44:25 AM

23. I wonder how funny he would find it if we all called for him to be lynched.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jun 10, 2011 10:46:54 AM

24. the insincere apologies these asshats always issue is almost as offensive as the original comments - like anyone in their rational mind really believe he is "sowwy"

if you're going to be a bigot, at least have the balls to own up to it

Posted by: neverstops | Jun 10, 2011 10:49:44 AM

25. I agree with Bryan. Demanding an apology and then receiving an insincere one only because he was pressured to give it by publicists etc. looking after their own career interests is false and hollow. The whole, "If I offended anyone I'm truly sorry blah blah blah" shtick is designed to get homophobes off the hook.

There's no reason to believe he didn't mean what he said. In which case, he should be proud to own it. You can't really apologize for saying what you believe, even if what you believe is completely ignorant. And his 30 Rock co-stars and other people who support his career--including 30 Rock viewers and audiences to his shows--should be more aware of his true colors and choose not to buy into his bigotry if they/we are unwilling to stomach it.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 10, 2011 10:52:28 AM