BigGayDeal.com

Tracy Morgan Called on to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Routine, Threatening to Kill Own Son if He Was Gay

UPDATED

Yesterday in my news round-up I mentioned that comic and 30 Rock actor Tracy Morgan had unleashed a homophobic rant at a stand-up comedy routine.

Morgan Truth Wins Out, which reported on the story on Wednesday evening, has called on Morgan to apologize for the disgusting anti-gay diatribe:

Eyewitness Kevin Rogers, who attended with his partner and a friend, gives a firsthand account which describes how Morgan’s entire demeanor changed as he allegedly claimed that being gay is a choice, that homosexuality is something that kids learn from the media, and that gay youth victims of bullying are simply “whining.”

Furthermore, he allegedly said that if his son was gay and “whined” about being a bullying victim, he would kill him, using words that will not be repeated here.  Morgan is also said to have called upon President Obama to “man up” and stop speaking out for LGBT kids.  According to the report, these were only some of the most egregious parts of this anti-gay tirade.

Read the full account of the show, which is quite graphic, here.

Morgan's publicist has issued a response to the controversy: "There is no comment, thank you for your inquiry."

Towleroad has reported on Morgan's show once before, in 2009, when the NYDN reported that Morgan's trash talk about gays had inspired a steady exodus of people from his show at Carnegie Hall.

UPDATE:

TMZ said they heard from another person at the show: "TMZ spoke with someone in attendance at the Ryman Auditorium ... who tells us Morgan's entire act was filled with offensive gay jokes ... explaining, 'It was the worst thing I've ever heard ... so not funny.'"

The Washington Post adds:

The Ryman Auditorium responded in a statement, saying the theater “regrets that people were offended by statements” Morgan made, adding that it “does not control the content presented by people appearing on its stage, nor does it endorse any of the views of, or statements made by, such persons.”

And GLAAD has issued a statement:

"Tracy Morgan's management needs to investigate these allegations and should they prove true, we call on him to remove these violently anti-gay remarks from his show and send a strong message that anti-gay violence is not something to joke about," said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios. GLAAD is working to confirm the story with Morgan’s management and hopes to have more details today.

The alleged remarks included that if his son were gay he “better talk to me like a man and not in a gay voice or I'll pull out a knife and stab that little n**ger to death."  He also allegedly aid that "Gays need to quit being p**sies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying." He allegedly added, "Gay is something that kids learn from the media and programming."

Comments

1. Well, the new President of NBC is an openly gay man, so we will see if he has any balls fairly quickly. So often, gay people placed in such positions of power are overly cautious, for fear that using their position to take an action against an overt homophobe will cause them to lose credibility as an individual who can be even-handed towards all groups, but this is not the first time that this thug has gone on such a tirade, so I see no excuse for NBC not to fire him at this point......

Posted by: Rick | Jun 10, 2011 10:52:48 AM

2. I don't give a crap about all you entitled white gays and your hysteria over this. A. it is comedy and comedy has license to push the envelope. Sarah Silverman pisses in the street. Yet, we don't call her a filthy degenerate like we would a homeless person who did the same thing, we laugh at her and give her air time on Logo. Is he a homophobe who knows who cares.

The only people that I care about, the true victims in this, which no one here has mentioned, is Young BLACK gays... Yes we come in Black, and asian, and jew, and everything else. The homophobia in the African American community is a huge problem but not for white people. It effects gay blacks the most, hated by their own. If anything comes of this it should be WHITE gays looking out FOR OUR OWN, the BLACK gays in the black community. White people are so quick to become VICTIMS while ignoring those who actually suffer from this type of rhetoric. Grow up people. Stop race baiting. Stop judging Black people as if they are all the same and start caring about people who suffer JUST like you did.

Posted by: Aloo | Jun 10, 2011 10:54:38 AM

3. What a nasty post, Aloo. You need to take your own advice about judging people as if they were all the same.

And the day Sarah Silverman or anyone else, regardless of race, starts joking about knifing her gay son to death, you'll see the same "hysteria".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 10, 2011 11:00:35 AM

4. @Aldo I am still waiting for the very first example, from you or Derrick or any other gay black man who EVER puts his gayness before his blackness, even one single time in his entire life. Every single time someone who is black gets criticized for overt homophobia, it seems that every single one of you jumps to HIS or HER defense, instead of joining in the criticism. And I am sorry, but the white gays criticizing these black homophobes criticize white homophobes just as severely.

So the double standard is entirely yours...and as for your attempt at making a point about homophobia among blacks not effecting white gays, that is totally ridiculouos. Black ministers routinely rail against same-sex marriage and were so instrumental in intimidating legislators in Maryland recently that they successfully killed a bill that would have granted marriage rights to ALL gay people, regardless of race.

If you want to separate yourselves from the rest of the gay community, go ahead...but if you want to be part of it, then you have to decide that you are not always black first and gay second....and shed the racist notion that being black gives one permanent immunity from any kind of criticism, no matter how legitimate, from anyone who is not black.....

Otherwise, there is no reason why we should give a crap about your plight, including the HIV crisis you continue to grapple with....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 10, 2011 11:04:36 AM

5. Apology? Bryan is right about that - it would mean nothing. Withdraw his source of income and he'll REALLY understand that words have consequences. He's dead to me.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 10, 2011 11:12:11 AM

6. 30 Rock jumped shark seasons ago. Last season, it just started piling up on our TiVo, and we never got around to watching it. It could disappear, and I doubt it would be missed.

And Tracy Morgan has NEVER been funny...

I don't really want his apology. I actually like knowing who is and isn't a homo hater, so I can avoid them.

I think GLADD should spend less time demanding meaningless apologies and more time letting advertisers know that they are supporting such bigotry. That's the fastest way to get such stuff off the air. No ads, no TV show.

Posted by: Guy from DC | Jun 10, 2011 11:12:30 AM

7. I've never thought Tracy Morgan was funny. Now I think he's a sad homophobe who needs his ass kicked a few times by some "sissies".

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 10, 2011 11:14:46 AM

8. I wonder what Morgan's co-star Jane Krakowski -- a real friend of the gays, a frequent guest on Fire Island and a REAL comedian -- thanks about all this.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 10, 2011 11:15:32 AM

9. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh. This is satire, probably. It's not the most clever, but it's seems obvious. Now THIS is what we would call "failed Satire", which could very well be his point; in one rant, he was able to say more than a handful of things, any one of which would have warranted a public apology; this is so true-to-life of his 30 rock character as well, because he always HAS to do whatever seems taboo; in the show he couldn't stop holding dog-fights, because of this compulsion.
    I dunno people, I’ve studied literature, and satire for that matter, for long enough to know that this was coming from a script near Juvenal. Provocative (obviously), harsh (check), and offensive (duh-uh).
    It sounds like the satirical target was probably Nashville (or Nashvillians), where he was performing a the time. He probably made a lot of audience members face themselves in that moment. Or I’m totally wrong and giving him too much credit, who knows? certainly not me or you!

Posted by: Eddie Mumford | Jun 10, 2011 11:19:14 AM

10. what about Brian Fellow?

Posted by: jj | Jun 10, 2011 11:19:22 AM

11. I've never understood why ANYBODY likes this guy in the first place. He comes across as an absolute idiot, a caricature of an ignorant "urban" black man that's hardly any better than Stepin Fetchit shuffling across the screen 70 years ago.

Posted by: Codswallop | Jun 10, 2011 11:19:44 AM

12. When ever I see an article about a black celebrity spouting homophobic rants in public, I always look to seeing how long it will take for the comments to degenerate into disgusting racist rants.

I, unfortunately, never have to wait long.

People, there are homophobic pricks across the colour board(bryan fisher, maggie gallagher, chuck norris, john mccain).

Why is it that when it is a black person suddenly we talk of Africa and how primitive these people are? Does it really help the cause?

Someone please help understand,because as a gay black man, it hurts! It hurts that I am being attacked on both fronts (race and sexual orientation)

I should feel welcome in this community...but I guess it does NOT get better for me.

Posted by: kranbree | Jun 10, 2011 11:21:10 AM

13. Cheyenne Jackson is also on 30 Rock (or at least he was the last time I watched it). I'm sure he's not pleased with Morgan either....

Posted by: DAVE | Jun 10, 2011 11:22:14 AM

14. @Eddie Mumford Why Nashville? The Metro Nashville council recently passed an ordinance banning employment discrimination against gays, only to have the Tennessee Legislature pass a bill to try and nullify it, which I guess will be tested in court.

Anyway, the point is that Nashville is not some overgrown hillbilly town, the way a lot of people from the coasts think it is, despite its country music associations. It is a reasonably progressive city, at least vis-a-vis others in the Heartland, just so you know (and no, I don't live in Nashville and am not from there, either, so I have no real bias about the matter).

And if your theory were correct, then that would just make Morgan an ignoramus rather than a homophobe, neither of which is particularly appealing....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 10, 2011 11:25:13 AM

15. I suppose it's too much to hope for to see him removed from "30 Rock." I have greatly enjoyed that show from the beginning, but have never enjoyed the 'humor' of Tracy Morgan; I just haven't "gotten" his appeal, at all. I find his stupidity and self-absorption unfunny and boring (while Jane Krakowski's dimly self-absorbed chick is a riot, imho). This seems a great opportunity to clean up that cast and give the screen time to some of the others...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 10, 2011 11:26:02 AM

16. "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh. This is satire, probably"

Don't think so. You have to be smart to do satire.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 10, 2011 11:26:12 AM

17. why don't you post my comments, andy?

Posted by: nic | Jun 10, 2011 11:36:47 AM

18. @Kranbree There was ONE racist comment in the entire thread, man, but that is all you focused on. Read my post above to Aloo and maybe you will get some insight--you cannot, as gay black people, expect to get sympathy when it comes to racism in the gay community if you, yourselves, are ALWAYS putting blackness before gayness.

Beyond that, and I am just being frank here because that is what I assume you want, a frank discussion--I do think that there is a particular repulsion that many feel when people of color engage in homophobia because the assumption is that, having been an oppressed minority for so long, themselves, they are acutely aware of injustice and would be sensitive to the plight of other minorities.......because if they are not, it suggests that the demand by African-Americans for civil rights was not based on high principle, but merely on self-interest.....which would not give it much legitimacy, would it?

OK?

The problem is that some of you are so obsessed with race that you, perhaps without even realizing it, almost reflexively jump to the defense of any black person being criticized by white people, even when it comes to overt homophobia and even when race has nothing to do with the criticism, as is the case with virtually everybody posting in this thread except the one individual.

Now, all that said, it IS true that the most homophobic countries on the planet, by far, are in sub-Saharan Africa and the Carribean (Jamaica would probably take the prize)....I mean, can you seriously imagine a country in Europe or Asia or Latin America considering seriously adopting the death penalty for homosexuality the way Uganda recently did?.....so to say that there is no cultural link there is just to bury one's head in the sand......

Posted by: Rick | Jun 10, 2011 11:37:24 AM

19. @DanCobb: Are you serious?!?!? Seems to me that one of the Great Civilizations of modern man existed in Africa (Egypt, in case you're not up on your geography)...not to mention the proto-humans whose ingenuity and inventiveness allowed them to survive and give birth to one of the most successful(?) species on the planet. Ultimately, it was (and still is) climate change that had the largest impact on human (and proto-human) civilization and progress.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Jun 10, 2011 11:40:27 AM

20. I wish we as gay people could unite against prejudice and homophobia without race-baiting. I feel for @KRANBREE; I, too am a proud, gay/black (or black/gay) man! Morgan's hate-filled tirade is dangerous and should be universally condemned! NBC, Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin should also speak out against him and, he should be fired from 30 Rock! But, let's take race out of this. There are homophobic hatemongers of ALL RACES! The comments by @ALOO & @DANNCOBB are hurtful and do nothing but further divide the gay community when we should be uniting against homophobia, no matter the source!

Posted by: Ron | Jun 10, 2011 11:48:04 AM

21. @rick
    Europe: Homosexuals were sent to concentration camps.
    Africa: South Africa became the first jurisdiction in the world to provide constitutional protection to LGBT people.

you make a valid point though.

Posted by: kranbree | Jun 10, 2011 11:50:17 AM

22. I CAN REPORT - The first time I ran into Tracey was at SKY BAR in Los Angeles, before his break-out success, and he was with his male "friend." he had on tight white denim pants, no shirt, and a glitter covered skull that he was playfully chewing on while him and his male "friend" giggled and kiki'd in the corner. Not looking at girls. And I was like, " I didn't know he was gay..." Cut to-

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 10, 2011 11:55:01 AM

23. i concur with posters above. I don't want an apology. Apologies maybe have some different function in the PR world, but in the real world they are for hurt feelings. Words like his go beyond hurt feelings--stigma, discrimination, suicide, violence, and so on.

Posted by: maxx40 | Jun 10, 2011 11:56:35 AM

24. he should go on tour with Victoria Jackson

Posted by: neverstops | Jun 10, 2011 12:06:56 PM

25. Dear Tina Fey,

I have watched 30 Rock from the beginning. It's an uneven show but I think you are funny and often the show is as well. but I can't watch Tracy Morgan after this last tirade. It's not a political thing. It's that I can't see him without the visual image of him stabbing his gay son to death. I'm not asking for you to do anything or asking others to stop watching the show. But if ratings dip perhaps it's because there are people like me who just can't stand to watch someone who wishes violence on them.

Sincerely,