BigGayDeal.com

Tracy Morgan Called on to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Routine, Threatening to Kill Own Son if He Was Gay

UPDATED

Yesterday in my news round-up I mentioned that comic and 30 Rock actor Tracy Morgan had unleashed a homophobic rant at a stand-up comedy routine.

Morgan Truth Wins Out, which reported on the story on Wednesday evening, has called on Morgan to apologize for the disgusting anti-gay diatribe:

Eyewitness Kevin Rogers, who attended with his partner and a friend, gives a firsthand account which describes how Morgan’s entire demeanor changed as he allegedly claimed that being gay is a choice, that homosexuality is something that kids learn from the media, and that gay youth victims of bullying are simply “whining.”

Furthermore, he allegedly said that if his son was gay and “whined” about being a bullying victim, he would kill him, using words that will not be repeated here.  Morgan is also said to have called upon President Obama to “man up” and stop speaking out for LGBT kids.  According to the report, these were only some of the most egregious parts of this anti-gay tirade.

Read the full account of the show, which is quite graphic, here.

Morgan's publicist has issued a response to the controversy: "There is no comment, thank you for your inquiry."

Towleroad has reported on Morgan's show once before, in 2009, when the NYDN reported that Morgan's trash talk about gays had inspired a steady exodus of people from his show at Carnegie Hall.

UPDATE:

TMZ said they heard from another person at the show: "TMZ spoke with someone in attendance at the Ryman Auditorium ... who tells us Morgan's entire act was filled with offensive gay jokes ... explaining, 'It was the worst thing I've ever heard ... so not funny.'"

The Washington Post adds:

The Ryman Auditorium responded in a statement, saying the theater “regrets that people were offended by statements” Morgan made, adding that it “does not control the content presented by people appearing on its stage, nor does it endorse any of the views of, or statements made by, such persons.”

And GLAAD has issued a statement:

"Tracy Morgan's management needs to investigate these allegations and should they prove true, we call on him to remove these violently anti-gay remarks from his show and send a strong message that anti-gay violence is not something to joke about," said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios. GLAAD is working to confirm the story with Morgan’s management and hopes to have more details today.

The alleged remarks included that if his son were gay he “better talk to me like a man and not in a gay voice or I'll pull out a knife and stab that little n**ger to death."  He also allegedly aid that "Gays need to quit being p**sies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying." He allegedly added, "Gay is something that kids learn from the media and programming."

Comments

1. Robert Greenblatt, the new chairman of NBC Entertainment is an openly gay man. I'm certain he is getting an earful from his gay friends and colleagues. Let's see how long it takes them to make a statement.

Posted by: Bob Smith | Jun 10, 2011 12:19:05 PM

2. Hey entitled white gays! GUESS WHAT I am WHITE! So it would be really hard to but my "blackness" before my "gayness." I am human first and only. Try expanding your minds and get over privilege and maybe you won't be racist. LIFE IS NOT HARD FOR YOU! if it actually was you would be whining more every minute of the day.

Posted by: Aloo | Jun 10, 2011 12:21:41 PM

3. Tracy Morgan has just issued a meaningless apology. He has apologised for his 'choice of words' - not for his hate-filled bigotry.

Posted by: SteveC | Jun 10, 2011 12:23:36 PM

4. He'll only wind up like Michael Richards if there's video of the incident that can be circulated

Posted by: Mike C | Jun 10, 2011 12:25:14 PM

5. That type of comedy routine is played out.

Much like rap, sleeve tattoos, and Firebirds.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 10, 2011 12:25:28 PM

6. I sure Barrios from Glaad will be right on it. :/

Posted by: MacroT | Jun 10, 2011 12:26:18 PM

7. Tracy Morgan is the weakest link on 30 Rock. He really has nothing to do with the overall arc of most episodes, so cut him loose. Let him take his rant on the road and see how that goes for him.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 10, 2011 12:26:48 PM

8. Amen RON

Posted by: Felix | Jun 10, 2011 12:29:16 PM

9. Dear Ryman Auditorium. Thanks for what has become the standard non-apology. You send "regrets that people were offended by statements,” but have no supporting institutional regrets about the content of the statements themselves. Just, "sorry your feelings were hurt."

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Jun 10, 2011 12:39:32 PM

10. "Now, there's nothing wrong with being gay. Some of my best friends are going to hell." -- Stephen Colbert... I'd say going to hell is worse than getting stabed, but like i said, it's satire; it's like a joke with teeth; the problem is that the ratio between joke and teeth becomes disproportionate in the grotesque, which is where he went with his grotesque scenario, where he talks of killing his own son; this is classic black humor, which could have been more appearent had he suggested cannibalising him straight afterwards; the logic is: it's so aweful that that all you can do to stop from vomiting is laugh in his face. StephenColbert: "Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."

Posted by: Eddie Mumford | Jun 10, 2011 12:40:41 PM

11. Demanding an "apology" is pathetic and offensive.
    Receiving this "apology" is even more so.
    I do NOT know what is in his "heart" as he says in his statement. CAUSE all he talks is BULL.
    This is what he says..these are his words and beliefs for years...he and Mel Gibson can live with them...we can choose to support him or actively oppose him and his work.
    He is entitled to his words and his life.
    However bigoted and offensive and hateful.
    Those who choose to work with him, and hire him and pay him support his beliefs.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 10, 2011 1:04:40 PM

12. @Rick , I think you're right about Nashville, I was just brainstorming/ devil's advocating.
    "There are no bad ideas in brainstorming Lemon..." --Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock

Posted by: Eddie Mumford | Jun 10, 2011 1:10:16 PM

13. Part of the Satire:
    "He took time to visit the bullsh*t of this bullying stuff and informed us that the gays needed to quit being p*ssies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying.
    He mentioned that gay was something kids learn from the media and programming, and that bullied kids should just bust some *ss and beat those other little f**kers that bully them, not whine about it. He said if his son that was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death."

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 10, 2011 1:17:07 PM

14. I've no doubt he has a lot of supporters in the republican party, the Bachmann's and the Santorum's, including some of the gay ones who don't support equality. Where's Andrew Breitbart and Matt Drudge? Oh I forgot, they'll defend his right to hate speech inciting others to kill us. The republican way I suppose.

Amazing that people of this mentality only apologize when those controlling their career and earnings react to pressure and bad publicity about their clients and lucrative profits. Its not as if it was a genuine, voluntary apology without necessitating any prompting by others. I'm not convinced it was sincere.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 10, 2011 1:26:30 PM

15. As I said in the first thread when this broke, I have to reserve judgment. I didn't hear the act myself. "Kevin Rogers said he has a high tolerance for un-PC humor and Morgan went too far!" you scream. "It's ALL there. What more do you need?" "Gay kids are killing themselves because of the the sh!t Morgan is perpetuating!" "The words are all there in the essay!" And, my favorite, "I always knew Tina Fey wasn't really a friend of the gays because of the Gays in Space sketch." Really? LOL. Yeah, Tina Fey, SECRET MAJOR HOMOPHOBE.

You know what words come to mind for me? Context, satire and nuance. And, also, the phrase, "failed attempt at."

I try to not be reactionary when I remember. I'm also very careful when it comes to choosing to play the victim card.

Eddie Mumford (and a couple of the self-identified gay black men to a lesser extent) is the only person on this thread who has made any sense here.

However, what I find may have been of benefit in this whole thing is that, Kevin Rogers wrote an essay calling Morgan out on a bit that didn't work, was offensive and, from the sounds of it, did indeed reinforce homophobic, negative stereotypes in the minds of some of the hateful dolts in the audience. Within a week's time, he has brought it to national attention. And within the last 24 hours, his seven-day-old essay has finally gone viral and Morgan has addressed his behavior and apologized.

For some of you, he'll always be dead to you and "not funny" (interesting how so many on here didn't even find him humorous even once in his career), even if he donates all his money to gay causes and nails himself up on a rainbow cross. I doubt that you were a regular viewers of 30 Rock, anyway.

For me, I will keep on watching, because it's one of the best shows on television.

And, one more thing ...

I'm Brian Fellows.

Posted by: Vinci Smetana | Jun 10, 2011 1:37:20 PM

16. Dear DANCOBBB: "Let's face it, nothing of any significance was ever developed in Africa."

Oh really, Dan? How about the Human Race, Dan? I'd say that was something of significance that was developed in Africa (among many things of significance)!

I'll get tossed for this, but Dan, you are a major, first-class, flaming @sshole.

I nominate you to be president of the Tracy Morgan Fan Club. Obviously, you and he both strayed off the evolutionary path at about the same time.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 10, 2011 1:40:36 PM

17. He looks gay to me.

Posted by: Danny | Jun 10, 2011 2:11:16 PM

18. This could very well be the beginning of the end for 30 Rock if Tina and Alec don't "Man Up" and do the right thing here. No apologies. No Forgiveness. Morgan written off the show. He's the worst thing about the show anyway. Talk about a WHINER!! I usually fast forward through all of his segments anyway. I will never again watch 30 Rock as long as he is on it. He has become the idiot he portrays on the show. Time to cut him loose.

Posted by: Mr. West | Jun 10, 2011 2:19:12 PM

19. I agree with Bryant. I am ant-gay.

Posted by: FREDERICK ROBINSON | Jun 10, 2011 2:34:34 PM

20. I agree with Bryant. I am anti gay.

Posted by: FREDERICK ROBINSON | Jun 10, 2011 2:35:41 PM

21. I'm surprised but then again...Tracy always sounded very VERY gay to me. So much so that I guess instead of coming out, he's turned inward and his homophobia evidences this.

Posted by: Reg253 | Jun 10, 2011 3:12:33 PM

22. I don't wanna repeat what's been said before, but are you guys 100% sure that the guy wasn't being sarcastic?

Posted by: Farbud | Jun 10, 2011 4:23:29 PM

23. Wow. I can't believe no one but DerrickfromPhilly called DanCobb on his specious views. I don't know which is more outrageous, DanCobb's right-wing, racist and ahistorical drivel or the apathy other posters show towards this kind of white supremacist drivel.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Jun 10, 2011 5:12:44 PM

24. Yes you ARE a hateful person! You just proved it!

Posted by: John | Jun 10, 2011 5:59:15 PM

25. @Gwyneth: You're getting upset over something posted behind a screen name. Since this is the internet, he could be anybody. The writer behind that screen name could be Maggie Gallagher or even Tracy Morgan for all we know.
    Whenever you see a comment on the internet posted by someone you can't really identify, it could be a 12-year old straight boy who eats paste and picks his nose in class and thinks it's funny to come on a gay blog and derail a topic by pretending to be a silly gay man and making someone mad and sending everyone on a new tangent.

I'm a gay guy in an interracial relationship and we HAVE encountered racism but never, ever, in "real life" have we ever encountered one iota of racism from anyone within the gay community. Yes, I know things like that exist to some extent everywhere, and there are some ignorant people in every community.

But I think the gay community has always been way ahead of the curve on supporting equal rights and dignity for everyone.

I get angry when someone with an identifiable name and face (like one of my co-workers or Tracy Morgan) says something racist, sexist or homophobic.

But I can't get too bent out of shape every time an anonymous commenter on the internet says something nonsensical. Sometimes "choosing your battles" can mean not feeding the troll.

Posted by: gregv | Jun 10, 2011 10:10:12 PM