Gay Youth | News | Tracy Morgan

Tracy Morgan Meets with Homeless LGBT Youth

Morgan1

Actor and comic Tracy Morgan, who came under fire last week for a stand-up routine in which he said he would stab his own son if he found out he was gay, met with Jayden Love and Raciel Castillo, two young people from the Ali Forney Center, the nation's largest organization serving homeless LGBT youth.

Said the teens in a statement:

"We really appreciate that we were able to meet with Tracy Morgan, and that he was able to hear our stories of rejection at the hands of our own families and of being subsequently forced to survive on the streets.  Raciel's father insisted that his son's sexual orientation was a 'medical condition' that could be 'fixed' through therapy, and Jayden was expelled by her religious family for being who she is.  Our parents' inability to accept us changed our lives for the worse.  We hope that our stories have the power to change not only Tracy's perspective, but those of any parent who may be struggling with accepting their child. In the meeting, Tracy clearly took responsibility for his words, and we hope that he will use his platform to make the world a better place for LGBT people."

Love CNN spoke with Love and Carl Siciliano from the Ali Forney Center about the meeting.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Morgan is planning to return to Nashville, Tennessee where the comedy routine took place, to apologize directly to those who witnessed it.

Also at the meeting was Elke Kennedy, the mother of Sean Kennedy who was killed in an anti-gay hate crime in South Carolina in 2007.

Photo below: Jim Parker, Elke Kennedy, Tracy  Morgan and fiancée, Jayden Love, Raciel Castillo, Sharda Sekaran (GLAAD), Carl Siciliano (Ali Forney Center).

(photos Neilson Barnard/WireImage 2011)

Morgan2

Comments

1. This is getting awkward. Enough already. This sort of public punishment is sick. Let him get on with being funny.

Posted by: Mark P | Jun 17, 2011 6:22:33 PM

2. Those kids are amazing. And we're at our best when we take care of our own. I hope Morgan really does appreciate and learn from this.

Posted by: justme | Jun 17, 2011 6:26:08 PM

3. Calm down, Mark P. It's great that you wanted to share that meeting with LGBT youth is "punishment" and "sick". That says everything about you that anyone needs to know.

And "get on with being funny" implies that he was funny to begin with, so you not only hate LGBT youth, you have the worst possible taste in comedy.

And, boys, he's single!

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 17, 2011 6:29:16 PM

4. I think he's very funny on 30 Rock. I also thought he was very funny on SNL.

I found his comments during stand up last week offensive insofar as they simply were not funny. For that reason, I think he's a less talented comedian than I did before. But I don't think he's a lost soul.

I do not hate LGBT youth; I hate the media circus that makes this sort of thing public. I think it's beautiful that he met with LGBT youth, but for me it would have more meaningful value if it were held privately, without a camera.

I am not single.

Posted by: Mark P | Jun 17, 2011 6:45:03 PM

5. oh my god this is just weird. the dude is in show business: there is no way he actually hates gay people working with them every day. he just has a lame sense of humor and a fairly ignorant world view. I agree completely with mark p.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 17, 2011 6:52:30 PM

6. HOPEFULLY this is an honest attempt at realizing one's mistake and making an effort to educate ones self about it. Time will only tell.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 17, 2011 7:01:17 PM

7. This is the best possible outcome: the story of a homophobic comedy routine becomes a story about the horrible parenting that afflicts many real LGBT youth, and the entire context being broadcast is that it's OK to be gay and parents should accept their children for who they are. While many blog readers are apparently "over it", that's a message that still needs to be repeated.

And Kudos to CNN for not presenting some b.s. "balance" viewpoint from the usual religious anti-LGBT nutjobs.

P.S. We have GLAAD to thank for putting this together.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 17, 2011 7:03:03 PM

8. There is a line that any sane comedian cannot cross. have you read what he said? He crossed the line into an agenda. He said some incredibly foul and ignorant things. I do, however, think this is better than some lame "I'm sorry you felt that way" apology we normally get from celebrities caught with their pants down.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 17, 2011 7:03:15 PM

9. I agree with Mark P also. Look, Tracy Morgan said some really F'd up things. He may just have learned something by hearing what he actually said. He needs to learn that what he did was wrong and at least by appearances he may indeed be in the process of learning it. What is in his heart is unknown to anyone but himself. I am happy he has made an overt display of contrition and slightly and I do mean slightly impressed at the actions. Really it's up to Mr. Morgan to ask for forgiveness it's up to us individually to find it in our hearts to forgive him.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 17, 2011 7:05:33 PM

10. Nothing like “whose ass I have to lick even to the inner depth of the bowels to don’t ruin my now shaky career” to show how different society is getting. Still, don’t buy it because I think it’s only strategy. That doesn’t come from his heart.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jun 17, 2011 7:08:15 PM

11. @Jeff: A couple of things –
    1. Being in show business means you can't hate gay people? I suppose southern slave-owners must have dearly loved black people - I mean, hey, they had them right there on their plantations!
    2. We can't actually know how Tracy Morgan feels about gay people. What we can - and do - know is what he said in his stand-up. Maybe he doesn't believe it, maybe he does, who knows? What we do know is that he decided it was HILARIOUS to make violent comments about gay people and, in particular, gay youth. And this happened in a state where the legislature has recently banned ordinances protecting LGBT people from discrimination and made it illegal for schoolteachers to discuss homosexuality in any capacity.

As far as this being "public punishment," it's only as public as Tracy Morgan wants it to be. The fact is, he wants to fix his image and the best way to do that is to make sure he gets press coverage for any action he takes to appear sympathetic to gay people.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Jun 17, 2011 7:14:33 PM

12. I couldn't agree more, Jeff. Any spotlight which can be cast on the serious issue of parental abuse of their LGBT child is a worthy effort. These youth have been cast aside by their family with apparently no concern for their physical or mental well being whatsoever! Kudos for Morgan for trying to make ammends and to GLAAD for guiding him in this direction.

Posted by: rodca | Jun 17, 2011 7:26:20 PM

13. too many Jeffs ... I'm the "this is the best possible outcome, and thanks GLAAD" Jeff, henceforth "JEFFCA"

Posted by: JeffCA | Jun 17, 2011 7:36:50 PM

14. What he's doing now matters. Cynicism is tired.

Posted by: Vlad | Jun 17, 2011 7:44:39 PM

15. No one could ever believe that Tracy Morgan would actually stab his own gay child -- it was clearly a joke. However, violence against gay and lesbian youth is a very very real problem and he should have not said what he said. I think he's doing the right thing.

Posted by: joe | Jun 17, 2011 7:49:46 PM

16. exactly as RyanInSacto said. Tracy Morgan is punishing himself by telling his PR team to make sure the camera is there when he makes his "apology".

Posted by: simon | Jun 17, 2011 7:55:20 PM

17. I want to believe in redemption.

Posted by: Philo | Jun 17, 2011 7:57:12 PM

18. A publicity stunt and a learning experience don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    I have no doubt that his agent, NBC, and Tina Fey herself were encouraging him to save face. Hell, if I was Tina Fey I'd be doing the exact same thing. If Tracy handled this whole thing poorly he'd probably be fired from 30 Rock and the show would suffer. Tina doesn't deserve that.
    Yes, everything IS about Tina Fey. Everything.

Posted by: Eric26 | Jun 17, 2011 8:07:30 PM

19. In an age where mealy-mouthed meaningless apologies written by PR agents and tested on focus groups are the accepted norm, it's amazing to see someone not only admit a mistake but actually make amends.

It's fine if Morgan gets publicity and benefits as a result. He deserves to benefit from doing the right thing.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 17, 2011 8:11:52 PM

20. It was NOT "clearly a joke." That's why the gauy wrote about it on Facebook. He wnet to the show expecting Tracy to be wild and irreverent comically "offensive."
    In fact when Morgan went into his rant the guys was still expecting a punch line. It's when the punch line didn't come and he saw Morgan standing there baskign in cheers from the audience for attacking us that he decided to describe what went on.

It WASN'T a joke.

Now Morgan's trying to make amends.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 17, 2011 8:16:43 PM

21. "so, who's ass do i have to kiss so i don't lose my contract with NBC?"

Posted by: Trey | Jun 17, 2011 8:18:54 PM

22. I don't think Tracy Morgan is genuine in his contrition. He's a liberal. Liberals are never genuine. Their positions on issues are motivated by sheer opportunism and cruelty.

I suspect that Tracy used his meeting with the displaced LGBT youth to form material for his next insulting skit.

Posted by: adam | Jun 17, 2011 8:25:13 PM

23. Ha Adam, are you serious with that BS? If so, what a sad, sad person you are.

I'm fully in the "Tina Fey put her gay-loving foot down and is behind the whole thing" camp. I'm fine by that.

Posted by: Aron | Jun 17, 2011 8:54:15 PM

24. If Tracy's a liberal, Adam/Brian/Jason, that's the very least of his problems.

Since I've never found him particularly funny, I've no problem with the public punishment. When you say things, you better be able to own what you say (real comedians don't need to apologize) or learn from your mistakes. His choice--honestly, I don't care, but if he pulls that crap again he can kiss his paychecks adios.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 17, 2011 9:12:06 PM

25. Are you people serious? A liberal? If anything his comments reflect conservative ideology, just ask Michelle Bachman. And for the record, his political views have NOTHING to do with the situation. I do think Tracy is sincere in trying to understand our community better, and that is the best outcome we could have in this situation.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 17, 2011 9:26:00 PM