True Blood’s Big Coming Out [Spoilers]

WesleySaid Rutina Wesley of her character Tara's change:

“After I thought about it, I was like I can see that. She’s got some new skin so to speak and she’s living life to its fullest and I think that’s a beautiful thing honestly to see a person go through that sort of change. Without putting any labels to it, she sort of fallen in love and that’s OK, you know. I just think that’s amazing…My main thing is I don’t think it’s because my character has such bad luck with men. I hope that people can understand that. Because I know people, of course, are just going to go to the ‘Oh, they’re just doing that, because she had that relationship and all of a sudden she’s gay.’ No, no, no, it’s not that. It’s just something that happened and she ended up being open to it, which I think is really cool. It’s nice to see Tara a little more Zen and open to things. And she just seems more carefree about life. It feels good to see her smile for a change.”

Said creator Alan Ball:

“We felt like it was time for Tara to stop being the victim. It was time for Tara to really take charge of her life in a way that would be surprising and would give us some fun places to go story wise. We thought, ‘If somebody has been through something like that, maybe they would be prompted to create a whole new life and identity.’ And why not?”

Comments

1. Blake says

Tara was the predictable (and rather boring) choice here. Alan Ball has written her character into a corner and she really doesn’t serve a purpose right now. The poor introduction of Claude and the (apparent) adios to Barry the Bellboy lead me to believe Ball has already decided to end the show after five seasons, or maybe just four.

2. Dastius Krazitauc says

I thought it was very boring. So boring, I don’t even know who the “Claude” referred to above is.

Or did I just find it boring in contrast to Game of Thrones, which literally gave me chills?

3. AJ says

@BLAKE He is ending the show with 5 seasons, like Six Feet Under. He mentioned it last week.

I LOVED the season opener and was able to watch the second episode too on my phone. The second episode is even better. The main villain this season, Marnie, is really great and they are doing the books justice. Plus some really interesting developments with Sam and his new love interest. They are going somewhere the books never went with him and it’s intriguing. Plus the main storyline of book 4 is intact, but better IMO with better reasons for Sookie to be conflicted about Eric. As far as Tara goes, it’s nice to see her being a fighter rather than a victim for once.

4. Jersey says

The acting has gotten even worse this season but Jason Stackhouse is still one sexy ass mf. And Hoyt too. Alan Ball should have just had those two get together.

5. says

@AJ Allan Ball said he’s not sure if after 5 seasons he’ll have anything left to put into the show, then goes on to say “we’ll see” its still pretty unofficial if the fifth will be the last.

6. Kristofer says

So let me get this (ahem) straight, according to some of these comments: The homo character turned out to be a lesbian, and so the gays collectively yawn because it’s a boring, icky girl. But if it were Erik or Bill or Jason or Hoyt or Sam or some random pair of pecs that was on the screen for 4 seconds, that would make for a better story?

7. Peter says

Kristofer, yes, yes it would have made the episode much better. And yes, a shirtless scene of Jason wouldn’t have hurt. In one of the books a guy had a crush on Jason that ended bad but it was a good storyline. It was for the most part boring and as some have said meandering but it ended strongly showing Bill as the King and Eric starting to bite Sookie.

8. says

The episode was half tease, which made it less than satisfying. But I’m kind of glad they jumped all the characters’ development forward twelve months (minus Sookie); all previous seasons had taken place over just a few weeks (wasn’t it?) … It’s okay with me if they play out the details of what happened while Sookie was missing over several episodes. At least I have confidence they have a wrap up in mind – unlike Lost, say. True Blood is a fun show.

9. brotherfrancis says

It felt like the season opener was just about getting all the pieces in place for what’s to come later. Like others have said, not all that interesting. But neither was the opener for Game of Thrones, and look what happened there. True Blood has always been wildly entertaining and there’s no reason to believe the writers have suddenly forgot how to do that now.
    Patience, dear friends….

10. Yuki says

Not a huge fan of Tara’s changing so far; it seems like a problem of “she did badly with guys so SUDDENLY SHE LIKES GIRLS LOL!”. I’ll wait and see how they handle it, though.

I kind of wish they’d just keep the show going and do things with the books, but Ball’s already stuffed a lot of things from later books into the current seasons.

11. foobar says

I don’t see the point with Tara’s change. It rings hollow considering her past relationships – as poor and traumatic as they may have been. Now, if it had been Sam, still under the influence of Bill’s blood…

12. Jay says

Are you kidding? This opener was A-W-F-U-L!!! I felt that they lost me in last season but wanted to give it one more chance since I used to love the show. However, get the following:

Fairies, that turn into a cross between Nosferatu and Count Chocula
    Oh yeah, they throw hand bombs in a cheesy special effects opening

Tara who is annoying and hoped was gone for good is now a UFC fighting lesbian. Why? I guess because they didn’t have one of those in the show? She is watched kissing in an alley by some drunk. who happens to have a fancy umbrella-like drink in hand. WTF?

A parrot comes to life in a seance, then drops to floor again.

Instead of opening a new bottle of wine, Sam and new friends take things to the next level by turning into horses and running. Stooooopid!

Oh, I could go on and on, but why bother. I may keep watching this, but it will be as a comedy because it’s so bad it’s kinda funny. :)