David Tyree | Football (American) | New York | News | NOM

BigGayDeal.com

Former NFL Player David Tyree Says He'd Trade Super Bowl Win to Stop Gays from Marrying: VIDEO

Davidtyree

Former NY Giant David Tyree tells the New York Daily News that he would trade his famous catch and his Super Bowl XLII win to stop gays from being allowed to marry:

"The catch was a gift, it's not like I'd try to do it. I couldn't do it again so that was a miracle," he said. "There's nothing worth more than [maintaining heterosexual marriage] right here for me."

Asked if he'd give up the Super Bowl to stop gay marriage, Tyree said: "Honestly, I probably would."

"Nothing means more to me than that my God would be honored," he said. "Being the fact that I firmly believe that God created and ordained marriage between a man and a woman, I believe that that's something that should be fought for at all costs."

"So I'll lay down everything I am to preserve the honor and integrity of the God that I serve."

Watch a separate video of Tyree from today at the Capitol where he joined anti-gay demonstrations, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Some people go as far as to kill other people to please their "God".
    Mr Tyree may be a(n ex-) NY Giant. He definitely is a dwarf in the field of ethics and human rights.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Jun 20, 2011 2:50:10 PM

2. This is an excellent example of the myopia of christian supremacists. They simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact that the civil and religious marriage processes are separate (albeit often simultaneous) entities. "By the power vested in me BY THE STATE OF [insert state here]..." But of course that's not what they really mean... what they really mean is "butbutbutbut... gays are gross... they can't marry... that would mean that they have rights that only WE are supposed to have... marriage should be between a man and a woman... and the studio audience who votes on which woman marries said man... "

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 20, 2011 2:54:48 PM

3. I find it ironic how he talks about personal liberties making America great.

Wonder what NOM is paying him? And on that subject how many kids could they put through college, or how many poor families could they feed with the money they are spending trying to prevent us from having our civil rights and equal protection under the law ?

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Jun 20, 2011 2:55:52 PM

4. What a dumb-ass. Self-righteous evangelicals talking about laying it all down to honour "their god" makes me want to retch. Your "god", Mr. Tyree, is therefore evil and you are pathetically deluded. And deluded. And willfully ignorant. I have a special place on your anatomy where you can shove your Super Bowl ring. By the way, son, you prove an old thesis of mine: evangelicals are losers. Tell your teammates (who worked so hard and sacrificed so much as a TEAM to get to the Super Bowl) that you wish you would have dropped the ball if that meant marriage equality would not happen. I'll bet some of them might have a few unpleasant things to tell you to your face.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 20, 2011 3:00:35 PM

5. My, my. How much attention for an ex-football player who is not that educated or articulate. Your real enemy (and far more powerful) is the Archbishop of New York, the leader of the Roman Catholic Church in that state. He's far more educated than this ex-football player and far more articulate in presenting his bigotry. His statement on television the other day was elequent in its evil--very effective in energizing those opposed to marriage equality. It's the Archbishop who may influence the "faithful" in New York to contact their state senator to stop or stall the effort for marriage equality. But the attention is on an ex-football player turned fundamentalist Christian fanatic.

But we know why the ex-football player is getting all this attention, don't we, WAYNE?
    Well, lookahea',WAYNE, I'd slit open your scrawny red neck before I'd work on your f.ckin' planatation. And what makes you think that every piece of trash could afford to own a plantation?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 20, 2011 3:06:19 PM

6. "eloguent in its evil"

Unlike me, the Archbishop can spell.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 20, 2011 3:11:04 PM

7. In 1878, in a judgement to invalidate a marriage between a black man and white woman, the Supreme Court of Virginia said:

"The purity of public morals, the moral and physical development of both races….require that they should be kept distinct and separate… that connections and alliances so unnatural that God and nature seem to forbid them, should be prohibited by positive law, and be subject to no evasion."

How quickly we forget, David Tyree.

Posted by: Ian | Jun 20, 2011 3:18:55 PM

8. I think it would be best if he traded the Super Bowl ring for some sanity and an education.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 20, 2011 3:32:14 PM

9. Homophobia is akin to racism, IMO. How would he like for someone to say 'Slavery was around for millenia - so let's bring it back!"

That would obviously be preposterous and awful. But good to know he thinks blacks are a worthy minority, and gay people are not.

Posted by: JD in MA | Jun 20, 2011 3:37:47 PM

10. Over and over again there is a direct correlation between how much someone talks about God and how big an asswad they are.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 20, 2011 3:56:21 PM

11. Religious, Christian extremism.

Posted by: Pointed | Jun 20, 2011 3:59:49 PM

12. Hey, Mr. Tyree;
    I'm eating LOBSTER tomorrow whilst also wearing my cotton/polyester blend leisure suit, whilst also on my period. FedEx me your Superbowl ring, and I'll NEVER eat another lobster, NEVER wear another leisure suite (of ANY kind!), and NEVER have another period.

Posted by: Justin N in OakLawn, Dallas, T X | Jun 20, 2011 4:01:42 PM

13. CNN's Kyra Phillips tore him a new one when she interviewed him last week. He sounded like a complete idiot.

Here's the YouTube video of the interview:

Posted by: Rich F. | Jun 20, 2011 4:04:55 PM

14. Wow...er....stupid.

Yet another cringe-worthy statement from the NFL.

Keep up the good work guys.

You are losing audience day by day.

No one like a HATER. Even your knuckle-dragging fans.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 20, 2011 4:22:31 PM

15. So he'll lay down and give up everything he has to stop full equal rights for us? Here's a thought-let's take away his equal rights and make him live like it's 1937.

Oh, and be sure to loosen your belt and pants before you lie down face-down please.

Posted by: vwdavy | Jun 20, 2011 4:39:30 PM

16. ...and take away all the money he made while playing football, then tell me if he really believes in his god.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 20, 2011 5:32:07 PM

17. Why is this guy even news... worthy?

His opinions are absolutely as irrelevant!

Posted by: Brains | Jun 20, 2011 5:49:38 PM

18. If he is so opposed to changing the legal definition of marriage, why doesn't he advocate overturning the Loving vs. Virginia case? The arguments against allowing interracial marriage are EXACTLY the same as the crap he is promoting. Just another case of "I got mine, now I'll deny you yours ...."

Posted by: JJ | Jun 20, 2011 5:50:05 PM

19. I didn't catch what he said, I was too busy imagining him on his knees giving his teammates a BJ... (too much?) - LOL

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 20, 2011 6:42:52 PM

20. What these people don't understand is that the rules of christianity only apply to other christians. They're not supposed to force or impose their ways on others, never mind that the idea of homosexuality as a sin is based on words that translators DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF! Adding homosexuality to the bible is complete arbitrary.

Posted by: Bravo | Jun 20, 2011 9:05:36 PM

21. So since he can't give up his SuperBowl win, he's decided instead to give up a potential fortune in advertisements and endorsements in order to make sure everybody knows he hates him some gays. What kind of company wants a loudmouth divisive unrepentant religious zealot as their spokesman?

I'm sure your kids will be very appreciative and grateful that you couldn't keep your bigotry to yourself when their college tuitions need to be paid.

Posted by: StudioTodd | Jun 20, 2011 10:10:36 PM

22. Gay people aren't trying to rip the moral fabric of America, they are trying to legally wed their partners and live their lives with dignity.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 20, 2011 11:13:26 PM

23. Naked, ugly, raw bigotry. When will the obsessive persecution and discrimination by many in religious communities step causing such harm?

Posted by: Roman | Jun 20, 2011 11:24:21 PM

24. Here we go again... another African-American male using discriminatory and hateful language against gays! And comparing a stupid sports event to the equality of an entire group of people. This man is an idiot!

Posted by: james Brown | Jun 21, 2011 12:13:09 AM

25. Here we go again... another African-American male using discriminatory and hateful language against gays! And comparing a stupid sports event to the equality of an entire group of people. This man is an idiot!

Posted by: james Brown | Jun 21, 2011 12:13:09 AM

Well James how do you feel when some Caucasians Gays lump the entire African American race as homophobic when 1 person states their opinion. Would'nt that also be a bit prejudice of them? Would it be fair if we said all Caucasians are racist?, Of course not.....Quit the crap! HOMOPHOBIA is wrong regardless of whom spurts it!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Jun 21, 2011 1:27:40 AM