Amy Winehouse | News

BigGayDeal.com

Amy Winehouse Found Dead In London Home

WinehouseDead

It's a sad day for the music industry: British-born singer Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London apartment early this morning.

The police statement, via TMZ:

Police were called by London Ambulance Service to an address in Camden Square NW1 shortly before 16.05hrs today, Saturday 23 July, following reports of a woman found deceased.

On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Enquiries continue into the circumstances of the death. At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained.

A former backup singer, Winehouse began her solo career in 2003 with her classic-sounding album Frank, but her star really took off with the 2006 release of Back to Black, which featured her hit tracks 'Rehab' and 'You Know I'm No Good.'

Winehouse's unabashed drug use and destructive behavior made her a tabloid star, and the admitted drug user's recent stint at rehab had fans hopeful the had conquered her demons. Unfortunately, the singer's come back tour was canceled due to her drug use.

The 27-year old's death will only enhance her status as a musical legend.

Watch the video for the exceedingly talented Winehouse's "Tears Dry On Their Own," AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Another sad addition to the "27 Club" roster of talented musicians. R.I.P. Ms. Winehouse.

Posted by: David | Jul 23, 2011 1:42:25 PM

2. "The 27-year old's death will only enhance her status as a musical legend."

I am not sure Amy Winehouse was a musical legend yet, so I am not sure her death will enhance any legend, and I am a little uncomfortable with the idea, though it is probably true that she will attain a certain level of enduring notoriety did to her death. Folks like Holly, Valenz, Denver, and especially Cobain, were at the top of the charts and their games, and had, especially in some cases, redefined their genre or completely pioneered a new genre, tied to the mood and spirit of their time and place. I am just not sure Amy Warehouse has done that...not that she didn't have the potential or talent to.

I still feel like for most Americans she was a one-hit wonder, and for many Bits, she had achieved Lohan-esque degrees of tragic tiresomeness. Ifiund her voice unique and her take on traditional sounds refreshing...I wanted more when she blew up, but had largely forgotten her in-between tabloid appearances and GLEE remakes which would bring her back to mind.

This is sad for her family, fans, and music. Whether she becomes a legend now or not, I know this is not how anyone wanted her legacy to settle out. RIP, and I emphasize the peace. She deserves it.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 23, 2011 1:50:31 PM

3. Winehouse, not Warehouse, though my HTC Android phone seemed determine to get at least one autocorrect through...

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 23, 2011 1:52:05 PM

4. Amy's death could have been averted. She was a slow-motion car careening towards Thelma & Louise's cliff and anyone could have reached into that car and saved her. Instead, they let her disease take her.

RIP Amy. Sorry for all the times I said you were a "hot mess."

Posted by: kevin | Jul 23, 2011 2:00:19 PM

5. It is grotesquely callous and stupid of you to comment that 'her death will enhance her status as a musical legend.' Amy Winehouse was a huge talent, and what would have enhanced her status is if she had stayed with us and continued to make music. Grow up.

Posted by: Hank | Jul 23, 2011 2:10:28 PM

6. RIP, Amy. What a talent.

Posted by: Max | Jul 23, 2011 2:16:36 PM

7. Poor kid. RIP

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 23, 2011 2:37:07 PM

8. not a fan but

R.I.P.

Posted by: say what | Jul 23, 2011 2:37:21 PM

9. I've kinda been expecting to see this headline.. and was only wondering whether it would be Amy or Pete who went first. Both were tremendous talents, careers cut short by drug abuse.

Rest in peace Amy.

Posted by: sparks | Jul 23, 2011 2:53:32 PM

10. Crying right now and my tears will have to dry on their own

Posted by: mattsy | Jul 23, 2011 2:53:44 PM

11. So desperately sad, but also a pity that nobody around her seemed to be helpful.

Posted by: SeanR | Jul 23, 2011 3:05:39 PM

12. I keep reading comments about how the people around her didn't reach out to help her. This is untrue as evidenced by her father trying more than once to get her to go to rehab. I'm sure others tried to help as well. Ultimately, regardless of how many people try to get an addict to quit, it is the addict that must want to help themselves.

Posted by: tpow | Jul 23, 2011 3:11:33 PM

13. I was just listening to her stuff yesterday. Such a waste of incredible talent and a refreshing sound and a unique take on the genre...

On my end and the people around me, Amy Winehouse was definitely NOT a one-hit wonder. She was an incredible talent with two hit albums under her belt, marred by her addictions and self-destructive behavior.

I wondered yesterday when she would return and rise above her problems. I guess the answer is "never." :(

Posted by: luminum | Jul 23, 2011 3:39:03 PM

14. TPOW is absolutely correct. Addicts who want to use will do so; others cannot control the behavior of an addict. The problem is greatly magnified when the addict is a celebrity and has a coterie of hangers-on, enablers, and dealers all to happy to provide them with whatever they want simply for the chance to be around them.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 23, 2011 3:49:21 PM

15. Addition is such a terrible disease. Rest in peace, Amy Winehouse.

And let me echo the sentiments of others who think the sentence about her death at such a young age will enhance status as a musician. Whether true or not, it is callous to write that at this time.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 23, 2011 3:50:24 PM

16. She joins the "27 Club:" Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and now Amy Winehouse...

Posted by: TomTallis | Jul 23, 2011 3:55:45 PM

17. Self destruction is sad, but that wasn't unexpected and thus--callous as it is--not a tragedy.

Posted by: Adam | Jul 23, 2011 4:03:02 PM

18. supremely talented. the news of her death makes me weep.

Posted by: nic | Jul 23, 2011 4:03:37 PM

19. is it just me, or is the weekend 'editorial' voice of TR off brand? just askin'

Posted by: my2cents | Jul 23, 2011 4:12:30 PM

20. Terrible news. Back to black is probably the best album I've heard since it came out. I craved for more Amy after that. Such a loss...

Posted by: cristobal | Jul 23, 2011 4:40:25 PM

21. @Adam: Actually, it's the definition of a tragedy—the heroine had an insurmountable Achilles heel. That is what tragedy is. If you mean to say it's not as sad because someone self-destructed as opposed to, what?, being shot out of nowhere? Well, that's up to you to decide. I think it's sad when people die.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jul 23, 2011 4:40:33 PM

22. THANK YOU Hank for putting how I felt about that last quip in the post into words for me.

I couldn't agree more. Towleroad - that is entirely the wrong way to talk about this death.

Posted by: AedanCloud | Jul 23, 2011 4:53:26 PM

23. Pardon me, I truly meant no disrespect with that last line; was simply pointing out the obvious.

As someone who has lost many, many friends, many of them with substance abuse issues, I for one am saddened by Winehouse's demise, but that doesn't change the fact that her early death will enhance her iconic status.

X,
    Andrew

Posted by: Andrew Belonsky | Jul 23, 2011 5:01:32 PM

24. Natalie Cole's mom doesn't get enough credit. When Nat was careening in addiction, she had her care court-mandated.

This kind of addiction is not new. The shame is that despite all the knowledge the disease takes another.

A part of the puzzle is missing when the whole world can see it coming but nothing can be done.

Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) sued the dealer that provided his son w/ the drugs on which he OD'd. Winehouse's heirs should sue every manager & assistant that enabled her in any way. She is NOT without responsibility for her own death, but I'm certain the accomplices are plentiful.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jul 23, 2011 5:18:03 PM

25. I tried to make her go to rehab. But she said no 3 times.

Posted by: sp8ce | Jul 23, 2011 5:43:49 PM