Comments

1. BreckRoy says

“The 27-year old’s death will only enhance her status as a musical legend.”

I am not sure Amy Winehouse was a musical legend yet, so I am not sure her death will enhance any legend, and I am a little uncomfortable with the idea, though it is probably true that she will attain a certain level of enduring notoriety did to her death. Folks like Holly, Valenz, Denver, and especially Cobain, were at the top of the charts and their games, and had, especially in some cases, redefined their genre or completely pioneered a new genre, tied to the mood and spirit of their time and place. I am just not sure Amy Warehouse has done that…not that she didn’t have the potential or talent to.

I still feel like for most Americans she was a one-hit wonder, and for many Bits, she had achieved Lohan-esque degrees of tragic tiresomeness. Ifiund her voice unique and her take on traditional sounds refreshing…I wanted more when she blew up, but had largely forgotten her in-between tabloid appearances and GLEE remakes which would bring her back to mind.

This is sad for her family, fans, and music. Whether she becomes a legend now or not, I know this is not how anyone wanted her legacy to settle out. RIP, and I emphasize the peace. She deserves it.

2. says

Amy’s death could have been averted. She was a slow-motion car careening towards Thelma & Louise’s cliff and anyone could have reached into that car and saved her. Instead, they let her disease take her.

RIP Amy. Sorry for all the times I said you were a “hot mess.”

3. Hank says

It is grotesquely callous and stupid of you to comment that ‘her death will enhance her status as a musical legend.’ Amy Winehouse was a huge talent, and what would have enhanced her status is if she had stayed with us and continued to make music. Grow up.

4. sparks says

I’ve kinda been expecting to see this headline.. and was only wondering whether it would be Amy or Pete who went first. Both were tremendous talents, careers cut short by drug abuse.

Rest in peace Amy.

5. tpow says

I keep reading comments about how the people around her didn’t reach out to help her. This is untrue as evidenced by her father trying more than once to get her to go to rehab. I’m sure others tried to help as well. Ultimately, regardless of how many people try to get an addict to quit, it is the addict that must want to help themselves.

6. luminum says

I was just listening to her stuff yesterday. Such a waste of incredible talent and a refreshing sound and a unique take on the genre…

On my end and the people around me, Amy Winehouse was definitely NOT a one-hit wonder. She was an incredible talent with two hit albums under her belt, marred by her addictions and self-destructive behavior.

I wondered yesterday when she would return and rise above her problems. I guess the answer is “never.” :(

7. Paul R says

TPOW is absolutely correct. Addicts who want to use will do so; others cannot control the behavior of an addict. The problem is greatly magnified when the addict is a celebrity and has a coterie of hangers-on, enablers, and dealers all to happy to provide them with whatever they want simply for the chance to be around them.

8. peterparker says

Addition is such a terrible disease. Rest in peace, Amy Winehouse.

And let me echo the sentiments of others who think the sentence about her death at such a young age will enhance status as a musician. Whether true or not, it is callous to write that at this time.

9. says

@Adam: Actually, it’s the definition of a tragedy—the heroine had an insurmountable Achilles heel. That is what tragedy is. If you mean to say it’s not as sad because someone self-destructed as opposed to, what?, being shot out of nowhere? Well, that’s up to you to decide. I think it’s sad when people die.

10. AedanCloud says

THANK YOU Hank for putting how I felt about that last quip in the post into words for me.

I couldn’t agree more. Towleroad – that is entirely the wrong way to talk about this death.

11. Andrew Belonsky says

Pardon me, I truly meant no disrespect with that last line; was simply pointing out the obvious.

As someone who has lost many, many friends, many of them with substance abuse issues, I for one am saddened by Winehouse’s demise, but that doesn’t change the fact that her early death will enhance her iconic status.

X,
    Andrew

12. Pete n SFO says

Natalie Cole’s mom doesn’t get enough credit. When Nat was careening in addiction, she had her care court-mandated.

This kind of addiction is not new. The shame is that despite all the knowledge the disease takes another.

A part of the puzzle is missing when the whole world can see it coming but nothing can be done.

Carroll O’Connor (Archie Bunker) sued the dealer that provided his son w/ the drugs on which he OD’d. Winehouse’s heirs should sue every manager & assistant that enabled her in any way. She is NOT without responsibility for her own death, but I’m certain the accomplices are plentiful.

13. Whatever says

You have to get to hero status first to make this a tragedy. Winehouse was a sideshow act that got lucky enough to bring enough money in to support her outlandish drug habit. No shed tears on my end for a woman who brought this on herself.

14. Brains says

What a very sad turn of events; however, it was expected…

Hopefully, a lesson to those that engage in the “Russian Roulette” and “Musical Chairs” games of drug use will be reminded that the “Angel of Death” is your fairy godmother!

15. jason says

It’s terribly sad when a person dies so young. But you need to remember that Amy chose to lead a destructive lifestyle. Destructive lifestyles have consequences. I just wish that she had chosen a better lifestyle so she could still be around.

16. Jersey says

I don’t know anything about how such an addiction works but it always seemed to me many people close to her tried to help. I thought she was an extremely talented woman and always wished she would overcome her most destructive demons and live a happy and contented life. I am sad today for this tragic loss.

17. Adam says

Reality check: Amy Winehouse accomplished very little considering the opportunities that opened up for her. She is to music what Lindsay Lohan is to acting. I’ll save my tears for artists who were dedicated to their art.

18. Rovex says

Adam.. She may not have been dedicated to her art, but she was still better than any of the vacuous tarts that infect the charts these days. Few exceed her ability, drugged off her tits or not.

19. SteveC says

I really hoped she would overcome her demons and fulfil her incredible talent. RIP Amy. I’ll miss you. (Her 3rd album was already recorded. I suspect it may be a hit.)

20. Adam says

Rovex, there are hundreds if not thousands of musicians who are just as talented as Amy Winehouse who do not squander their talent. You only follow the pop charts, so you don’t know anything about them. I can think of at least 100 albums that came out since Back to Black that are just as good or better, and the creators are still making music. They are far more worthy of attention than Amy Winehouse. Sadly, they’re not going to get 1/10th the publicity simply because they’re not drug-addled media whores.

21. anon says

Her drug use was so bad it actually prevented her from achieving her full artistic potential. She must have known that her career was enhanced by her antics, and so did her manager, record promoters, recording label execs, etc. Every one of her failures to stay sober was a success in their eyes, much like Hank Williams and others. Morrison was a poetic romantic, Hendrix was delusional with thoughts of godhood, Cobain was a cynical depressive, Brian Jones was unlucky, etc. There is no real pattern to the “27 Club”.

22. tim says

Brought this on herself? It always baffles me how some people know nothing of depression and consequential drug abuse. Wait until it happens to someone you love. Let’s see if you’ll be as critical and heartless.

Depression and addiction are diseases. They should be treated as such and never be made fun of.

Rest in peace, Amy. You have fought your battle. We all hoped you would overcome and prosper… but sadly, that didn’t happen. Thank you for your beautiful music.

23. TJ says

There are many reasons why people use, depression just one. But things happen to the brain of addicts that actually make it not a choice. Not everyone becomes addicted. But the earlier you start and the heavier you use, the harder it is to stop. The hallmark of addiction is use and abuse despite negative consequences. You know it’s wrong. You know it will cause problems. But you are compelled, nevertheless.

I don’t know if there were people in her circle who encouraged her use because it added cache. I didn’t follow her life, and stopped following her career when nothing new was produced. But her “Back to Black” cd was one I played over and over, and thoroughly enjoyed. I’m sad that I’ll never hear anything more. I won’t judge her because she had a powerful disease, and a monster of a monkey on her back. She chased the dragon, and lost the race.

24. Paul R says

It’s sad and slightly stunning that so many in the gay community, where substance abuse runs rampant, know so little that they think addicts are simply self-indulgent failures. As with being gay, there are massive genetic and environmental components to addiction. Depression, lack of social and self acceptance, and feelings of desperation and isolation are common (though certainly not universal) to both.

For gays suffering from such botched perspectives, therapy or treatment can be helpful to overcome the notion that being gay makes you damaged goods.

Addicts suffering from similar feelings also benefit from treatment. Many LGBTs and addicts share feelings of being outsiders looking at or mixed in a society that they feel they’ll never fit into. And again, LGBTs suffer from disproportionate rates of addiction relative to the general population. And again, achieving worldwide notoriety at a young age when one is clearly not equipped to handle fame is not an easy task.

I’m obviously in no way saying that being gay is the disease that is addiction. But I would hope for greater understanding of and empathy for addicts from a group (us) who often face some similar emotional battles. Being different in any way makes life harder, just as being able to cope with it is harder for many people.

25. colin says

I guess I don’t quite see what was callous in the statement “The 27-year old’s death will only enhance her status as a musical legend.” It seems like the truth – anytime an artist dies young it seems to strengthens peoples opinions about them. I don’t feel the writer was trying to be insensitive at all.
    Death is sad and I do feel sorry for her family, friends and fans. Now as a recovering addict myself I didn’t really follow her. I’d seen performance here and there that were just too sad to watch, and seeing her antics reported online turned me off. She had a great voice but I couldn’t get into her. I don’t watch Breaking Bad because it’s too close to home for me. It seems like her family did try to help, but it takes the addict wanting it to succeed. She recorded 2 cds the last in 2007, so I don’t imagine the record company loved her behavior – you don’t make as much money from people not putting out stuff.
    It’s sad but I think what’s tragic are the deaths of all those people in Norway. Their lives were ended by someone else – Amy WInehouse chose her death by the life she lead.

Just my opinion

26. Name Withheld says

Thank you for your compassionate words, Paul R :)
    Given Amy’s death, I thought it would be pertinent to share some of my thoughts and experiences regarding issues that I have lived with, ones which *might* be similar to what Amy went through.
    I’ve battled addiction, mental illness and physical disability for most of my life. *I* don’t know where to start in attempting to explain to myself and others how I came to be living with these elements of my life; nor can those who understand and love me best, and nor can the highly educated and compassionate “experts” I’ve turned to over the years.
    Therefore, the thought of someone who doesn’t know me attempting to critique the “problems” in my life seems not only impossible, but deeply offensive.
    None of us really knew Amy, anymore than anyone knows me (although I’m not famous like Amy is/was, I am a published author and subject of interviews, as well as a regular contributor to television and radio forums/panel-discussions etcetera). Considering this – her (and our) *inherent* anonymity and individuality – how can we possibly comment fairly and justly on the morality and wisdom of her decisions and behaviours?
    All I can justly hope for now is that Amy is at home with God – in peace and supreme love <3

27. JR says

Colin: it’s simple to just call it a choice. She was diagnosed as manic depressive or bipolar and dealt with it by doing drugs. Yes, drugs are a choice at first, but it quickly becomes something else.

It’s too simple to just say ‘it’s your own fault’, ‘you put this on yourself’ and all that BS.

Drug abuse is never just doing drugs just because. The underlying issue is the real problem. When you are convinced that life is not worth living or every trial brings you back to feeling it’s the end of the world, it’s hard to forget that dark place.