"Ex-Gays" | 2012 Election | Marcus Bachmann | Michelle Bachmann | News

Marcus Bachmann Defends Clinic's 'Ex-Gay' Therapy, Claims Tape on Which He Called Gays 'Barbarians' Was Doctored

In a new interview with the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Marcus Bachmann discusses the undercover operation by Truth Wins Out and defends his clinic's gay "reparative therapy" practices.

Marcus_bachmann He also claims a recording of him discussing his views on homosexuality is doctored:

"We have to understand: Barbarians need to be educated,'' Bachmann's voice is heard saying on the tape. "They need to be disciplined. Just because someone feels it or thinks it doesn't mean that we are supposed to go down that road.''

Bachmann said that someone must have doctored the recording of the interview, in which he addressed child discipline as well as homosexuality and sex education.

The recording also became a focus of media attention this week, including ABC's "Nightline."

"I was talking in reference to children. Nothing, nothing to do with homosexuality. That's not my mindset. That's not my belief system. That's not the way I would talk," Bachmann said.

Bachmann tried to explain that they don't force treatment on anyone but do it at the client's wish, and that the Truth Wins Out investigator came under false pretenses:

He didn't deny that he or other counselors at Bachmann & Associates have attempted to convert gay patients, but he said it is not a special interest of the business and would only be attempted at the client's request.

"Will I address it? Certainly we'll talk about it," Bachmann said. "Is it a remedy form that I typically would use? ... It is at the client's discretion."

He said the business mainly treats people who accept religious faith as part of their healing process -- typically for depression or anxiety.

"We don't have an agenda or a philosophy of trying to change someone,'' Bachmann said.

Listen to the Bachmann "barbarians" recording, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A teachable moment! A straight male friend couldn't wrap his head around how such a screamer could be homophobic. I patiently explained that the two are not mutually exclusive (see: Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Larry Craig et al.)We still have a way to go.

Posted by: Barry C. | Jul 15, 2011 1:09:08 PM

2. "That's not the way I would talk...or lisp like Snagglepuss...or suck on a cock...I wouldn't DO it that way...Seriously."

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jul 15, 2011 1:30:06 PM

3. people should stop calling this man doctor. his diploma came from a discredited online university and from pat robertson. this man is more a trained shrink than my pit pull is. when is minnesota going to investigate his license and the government investigate medicare fraud. marcia bachmann would look good in an orange jump suit.

Posted by: walter | Jul 15, 2011 2:53:34 PM

4. She is not only a liar, but she's a self loathing pig. How her wife could get any traction in Iowa is beyond me.

There's Something About Mary - And Everybody's Talking About Barbarians

Posted by: Haightmale | Jul 15, 2011 5:49:38 PM

5. If you want the context, listen to this clip. Marcus responds to an inquiry of the host. The barbarian portion doesn't seem cut or doctored in any way. The rest is pretty interesting, too.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 15, 2011 8:58:08 PM

6. "I'm not just the founder of the Ex-Gay Club For Men, I'm also a member."

Posted by: RedOnTheGreg | Jul 16, 2011 1:53:08 AM

7. I'm just wondering how long it will take before some media outlet finds the rentboy(s) Marcus paid for sex.

Posted by: ATL | Jul 16, 2011 9:26:35 AM

8. is it my imagination or does marcus bachmann look endearing like chaz bono?

Posted by: littlebadwolf | Jul 17, 2011 9:30:42 AM

9. A person with Marcus Bachman's views should not be let anywhere NEAR children. Worse yet, somehow this man(?) is being given a public megaphone to trumpet his irresponsible destructive views.

It's not ok.

He claims to speak for responsible parents and educators. NO PARENT OR EDUCATOR IS RESPONSIBLE IF THEY LISTEN TO THIS SORT OF HATE-BASED DICTATE!!!

It's circular, just like Santorum's (yuck, gross slime of a person) man-on-dog stuff: It appeals to those who already ignorantly agree with it by pandering to their fears and misconceptions.

Those people don't see the MONSTROSITY and EUGENIC-STYLE CONTROL that Bachman and his like advocate; they are blind to it, as THE ONLY GAY MAN THESE PEOPLE LISTEN TO IS APPARENTLY MARCUS BACHMAN. Gawrsh. C'MON, Republicans...get a CLUE.

And it's not harmless. This DESTROY-ANY-HINT-OF-GAY that just MAYBE is lurking in your kid is, no doubt, inflicting it's loveless, brutal, soul-harming wounds on WAY TOO MANY KIDS and young adults still today.

Marcus Bachman is a MONSTER. Someone, somewhere, with a conscience...get even the far-righties to GET THIS...please.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jul 18, 2011 3:54:07 AM