"Ex-Gays" | Joy Behar | News

Joy Behar Talks to Alleged 'Ex-Gay' Stephen Bennett and His Delusional Wife: VIDEO

Bennett

Stephen Bennett of Stephen Bennett Ministries draws from the old right-wing chestnut playbook to explain his homosexuality — close relationship with his mother, lack of male bonding with his father, sexual abuse by another boy as a child — and claims that he prayed away the gay.

Fortunately for him there was a delusional woman waiting with open arms.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is so sad.

Posted by: Angela | Jul 20, 2011 7:17:22 AM

2. Everything's possible.

Posted by: uffda | Jul 20, 2011 7:19:06 AM

3. Everything's possible.

Posted by: uffda | Jul 20, 2011 7:20:32 AM

4. HAHAHAHAHA..

I hope theres not some chick out there praying for me!

Posted by: hanser | Jul 20, 2011 7:23:55 AM

5. This guy has seriously lost it. I'd love to see him on the show again too for further ridicule. Set it up, Joy!

Posted by: JMck77 | Jul 20, 2011 7:46:18 AM

6. Blame the parents? Such an insult for those millions of parents who love their GLBT children.
    All in all, this interview is one of oddest I've seen. What a couple. Wouldn't know what to say to them, perhaps, good luck.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 20, 2011 8:00:50 AM

7. Blame the parents? Such an insult for those millions of parents who love their GLBT children.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 20, 2011 8:01:12 AM

8. 3 words sister. Wear a condom.

Posted by: Tigger | Jul 20, 2011 8:01:23 AM

9. wow....dellusional!!! He looks like a lesbian....and I woulda' loved to hear Joy ask some very direct sex life questions....tho, HLN is not the forum for that..HBO yes....that guy is such a Mary...shame he's so ashamed of himself, that he (cough,cough) pretends to like VaJJ

Posted by: Gay American | Jul 20, 2011 8:04:16 AM

10. So a bisexual dude decides to marry a chick. Happens. Next.

Posted by: Tigger | Jul 20, 2011 8:08:24 AM

11. He looks to be trying pretty hard to hold his "straight" act together, and its not working. His mom putting gel in his hair did not make him gay, so he needs to lay off his mom. I bet she wishes now that she'd stuck a clothes hanger up there instead of raising an emotionally retarded phoney of a kid who is trying to be a big actress on the Joy Behar show and blaming her for all of it.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 20, 2011 8:17:30 AM

12. You were praying for a husband and you got this? Honey, your god has a cruel sense of humor...

Posted by: scott | Jul 20, 2011 8:17:37 AM

13. You were praying for a husband and you got this? Honey, your god has a cruel sense of humor...

Posted by: scott | Jul 20, 2011 8:17:56 AM

14. UFFDA, MATT26, and SCOTT (all the same person) - you SINGLE click form submit buttons.... not DOUBLE click.

Posted by: Joy Bean | Jul 20, 2011 8:27:39 AM

15. I wouldn't write off Stephen Bennett's explanation. He is within his right to explain how he got to where he got. My view is that he is half-right.

My view is that he is bisexually oriented but that he has chosen to have a relationship with a woman. This is far more common than many of you think.

I'm not saying that he is ex-gay in terms of his sexual orientation but I do think he is ex-gay in terms of his sexual behavior.

Posted by: jason | Jul 20, 2011 8:41:56 AM

16. Weird. I have four brothers and they all managed to be straight despite having the same parents.

Have never known a straight male bulimic.

Lies. That couple seems incredibly stupid and I don't believe his story.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 20, 2011 8:46:56 AM

17. A lot of you are sneering at Stephen as if, somehow, you must drag him down in order to validate yourselves. Don't you see that you are being superficial and prejudiced? You are being exactly that which you claim to be against - ie shallow, reactionary, stereotypical, closed-minded.

You can rightly challenge Stephen on his claims to being ex-gay in terms of sexual orientation. Indeed, my view is that your orientation is automatic and not subject to change by willpower. However, as I said above, you ought to consider the possibility that he has used his willpower to be with a woman but not a man.

You shouldn't take Stephen's choice as a personal slight. Stop clawing at him.

Posted by: jason | Jul 20, 2011 8:47:25 AM

18. @Jason...being gay is not a behavior being gay is just like being straight your born with it...PERIOD end of story close the book lets go home. If he wants to be BI than be BI dont use some stupid wooden cross to cover it up and try and make money off of it. Than again I dont calL it BI... I call it TRI they'll TRI anything...even with that dum ass blond...

Posted by: x man | Jul 20, 2011 8:50:56 AM

19. The first blogger had it right: This is just so sad.

Posted by: Ted | Jul 20, 2011 8:58:29 AM

20. You can "pray away behavior" but you can't pray away sexual orientation.

Oh...and GAYFACE.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 20, 2011 9:08:17 AM

21. This guy is so deluded.

Posted by: rb | Jul 20, 2011 9:14:26 AM

22. Joy should give up doing interviews...she's really bad at it. Does anyone actually watch HLN? Maybe Joy was just playing to her audience? I mean her, "Dr." Drew, and Nancy Grace should stick with what they do best, reviving up the washer woman over missing children.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 20, 2011 9:15:35 AM

23. Batshit crazy

Posted by: Rob | Jul 20, 2011 9:20:06 AM

24. Stephen's phony sales pitch at the end just confirms the snake oil message he's peddling. Sorry, but he's still looks/acts like a Queen.

Posted by: nikko | Jul 20, 2011 9:22:10 AM

25. X man,

I didn't say being gay is a behavior. I said it's an orientation from which stems behavior.

Some people, for whatever reason, will choose to refrain from homosexual behavior even if they are gay. They will therefore be chaste. Other people, especially those who are bisexually oriented to various degrees, will find a life partner and thus relate sexually to only that life partner, be it male or female.

Stephen Bennett is wrong on the notion that you can pray away your sexual orientation. He is actually deluding himself and possibly causing himself damage.

Posted by: jason | Jul 20, 2011 9:25:14 AM