"Ex-Gays" | Cher | Michelle Bachmann | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

Cher Takes On Marcus Bachmann

CherBachmannTweet

MSNBC reporter Thomas Roberts yesterday scrutinized Marcus Bachmann, husband of presidential candidate Michele Bachmann, and his claims that gays are "barbarians" who need to be "disciplined."

While it's wonderful to see mainstream media questioning Mr. Bachmann's fundamentalist politics, including his work for the "ex-gay" movement, no amount of cable punditry can compare to the power of long-time LGBT ally Cher, who took to Twitter this week to lambast Marcus Bachmann, and to offer her take on rumors that Michele's husband isn't being straight about his own proclivities.

She also says she wants to "strangle him with my boa." Don't mess with Cher, Mr. Bachmann: the legendary chanteuse takes her gays very seriously. As well she should.

Read more of Cher's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

CherBachmannTwitter

Comments

1. I'm pretty sure that Cher doesn't compare to any "amount of cable punditry." I certainly appreciate her support, but come on. She's not a media organization, much less a cabal of them. Sorry to break the news, but outside the gay world she's considered a joke by many, despite her talents and achievements.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 2, 2011 10:14:40 AM

2. Hi Paul,
    Yes, of course Cher's Twitter doesn't really surpass the power of cable news channels. There was a little tongue-in-cheek there.

Regardless, her Tweets are still incredibly pointed. Cable news couldn't say what she did, I am sure.
    Thank you for reading -- and commenting,
    Andrew B.

Posted by: Andrew Belonsky | Jul 2, 2011 10:19:16 AM

3. This just made my day.

Posted by: justme | Jul 2, 2011 10:22:04 AM

4. So many reasons to love Cher.

Posted by: Max | Jul 2, 2011 10:25:44 AM

5. Paul, she's CHER!

Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.

And when she reads you YOU STAY READ!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2011 10:27:49 AM

6. I would be VERY afraid if I were Mr. Bachmann! You DO NOT piss off Cher!

Posted by: Bobby | Jul 2, 2011 10:39:58 AM

7. No insults intended to Cher. Glad she came around on her kids--not just Chaz but the boy (former) junkie fathered by Greg Allman. (I the pains of heroin addiction up close.) Glad she called BS where it was richly needed.

I respect her and never insulted her. Just wish this was network chatter.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 2, 2011 10:57:10 AM

8. Oh it will be!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2011 11:10:11 AM

9. Wow. I was never truly a fan of Cher until just now. Cher- you are a inspiration. It means so much to have such devoted allies.

Posted by: AedanCRoberts | Jul 2, 2011 11:29:06 AM

10. MSNBC and Current TV has discussed Marcus Bachmann calling gays "barbarians" and about his Christian counseling that may include ex-gay therapy...

But has CNN covered it?

CNN rarely covered Uganda's kill the gays bill and often gives Republicans and evangelical leaders a pass for being anti-gay.

I'll be surprised if CNN covers the Bachmann's anti-gay views.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 2, 2011 11:49:25 AM

11. I wouldn't call MSNBC "mainstream" media. It's a cable outlet with a small audience as compared to NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jul 2, 2011 12:12:32 PM

12. I haven't even seen the Bachmann/Barbarians story covered on HuffingtonPost, which is bizarre.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jul 2, 2011 12:54:54 PM

13. I'm glad Cher joined in to what will be the implosion of Bachmann and her regime rise

Posted by: JEFFUWS | Jul 2, 2011 1:38:22 PM

14. Cher is a goddess. I can't believe this guy could be our first husband. Ugh.

Posted by: Sarina | Jul 2, 2011 1:59:27 PM

15. Twitter is the great leveler. It's format makes it impossible to state facts, develop an argument, or come to any supportable conclusion.

It makes everyone equally shallow, inarticulate, and stupid.

I don't suppose I could persuade everyone to read Kurt Vonnegut's great short story "Harrison Bergeron," but you could watch the trailer for the brilliant film they made of it, assuming you haven't already seen it. Come on, watch it… I promise it won't bore you.

P.S. Twitter's tech should be revised to accept only haiku. Now _there's_ something worth setting storefronts on fire over.

Posted by: Bryan | Jul 2, 2011 2:19:59 PM

16. Cher may not in and of herself be as powerful as media coverage on Bachmann's gay husband, but if you follow Cher on Twitter we can re-tweet the f*ck outta this sh*t and THAT will be just as powerful, if not more. @Bryan, say what you will, but Twitter can be an awesome tool.

(PS I agree Twitter can be dangerous if not balanced with some actual long-form reading and writing, but every medium has its limitations and problems.)

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jul 2, 2011 3:23:35 PM

17. Cher knows Marcus Bachmann is gayer than the audience members at "Judy at Carnegie Hall"--all of them COMBINED!

Cher knows Marcus Bachmann is gayer than George Cukor's "special" Saturday afternoon pool parties.

Cher knows Marcus Bachmann is gayer than Marlene in a gorilla suit crooning "Hot Voodoo."

Posted by: Marie Cohn | Jul 2, 2011 4:05:56 PM

18. Question I want To here: Rep. Bachamnn if you are opposed to gay man getting married, why did you marry one? Can Bachmann be both a Presidential hopeful and a punchline at the same time?

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jul 2, 2011 5:02:14 PM

19. Oh PLAINTOM,because gays can get married; as long as they do so with someone of the opposite sex. Michele and hubby are just walking the walk.
    /snark

Posted by: Urmensch | Jul 2, 2011 5:39:01 PM

20. Bravo to Cher, but as this blog should know, the story here is not about Cher.

The spouse of an anti-gay and likely GOP front runner has been exposed as a virulently anti-gay Christian crusader. We've seen this movie before: George Rekers, Eddie Long, Ted Haggard, Larry Craig. I am confident that somewhere in Mr. Bachman's past, a rentboy has carried his luggage. He triggers my gaydar to DEFCON Chartreuse. And the bigger the hate, the wider the gate.

Yes, it's funny. But it also makes the candidate and her husband worse than simply horrible and closer to something evil. These self-loathing closet cases do the very worst harm to the community, and we now have a hugely anti-gay power couple with a highly organized campaign inching closer to the White House. We should not just laugh it off in the glow of success in NY and assume they can't win; I tried that twice with W, and was wrong both times.

Let's take this story more seriously, and not make it about Cher tweets.

Posted by: Joe H | Jul 2, 2011 6:04:38 PM

21. In the era of the dumbing of America with stupid reality shows and cable 'news' always pushing a CONservative agenda, it is refreshing to see a LEGEND that transcends many generations put that CLOSET QUEEN in his place Toooo funny! :-)

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 2, 2011 7:07:15 PM

22. luv you, Cher.

@Bryan, I was tempted to check out your trailer, but your comment seemed simply TOO off-topic spam, so I skipped it.

Yeah, Bachman deserves this. And Cher is a personality worthy of legend, with conscience and all. Bravo. Twitter's ok, but I haven't personally found much time for it. I TOTALLY enjoyed hearing about these tweets though, thanks. :-)

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jul 2, 2011 8:55:09 PM

23. Love you, Cher!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 3, 2011 12:48:13 AM

24. The question that needs investigating is whether or not Bachmann's equally crazy husband has been paid through government programs to "ex-gay" people under his so-called treatment. Is taxpayer paying to send to people to ex-gay therapy?

Posted by: Storey Institute | Jul 3, 2011 2:03:39 AM

25. Daily Beast / Newsweek (my other blog addiction, sorry Andy) has covered this guy's extremism extensively.

Thanks Joe H- well said. In my experience truly straight people (Kinsey zeroes) don't bother criticizing gays, because same gender desire doesn't resonate with them. People who make it a point to criticize gays, always have gay issues. By definition. And once we finally equate homophobic remarks with gayness itself, in media, won't these people finally shut up? This guy could finally make that link in the public eye.

Cher is really echoing that recent gay speech study. You really can tell by how we talk. In every language. Step into a gay bar in a country as a non-speaker of their language, then step into a different business. Our speech is distinctive, period.

Calling Jon Stewart! (There should be a Batman-style light we shine in the sky when we need him.) Find us his rent boy! Bring us a slow, steady drip of incriminating facts. I want this to last awhile.

Love you Cher!