Chris Colfer | Cory Monteith | Glee | News

BigGayDeal.com

Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith, Lea Michele Leaving 'Glee'

Glee

Three of Glee's regulars, Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith, and Lea Michele, (and likely a few more) will be graduating at the end of Season 3 and not returning.

Said creator Ryan Murphy to the Hollywood Reporter:

"You can keep them on the show for six years and people will criticize you for not being realistic, or you can be really true to life and say when they started the show they were very clearly sophomores and they should graduate at the end of their senior year...We’ve never done anything by the book. We made that decision and I involved Chris and Lea and they thought that was a good idea. They both trust the writing and trust me and felt that it would be great to have an open and closed experience for them to go out while they were on top.”

Comments

1. Well, they did have their Junior Prom this season, so this should come as no surprise.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jul 14, 2011 1:35:46 PM

2. @Billy, yes it was done on TV, when the the original -- and far superior -- version of "Glee" aired, back when it was called "Fame".

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jul 14, 2011 1:54:54 PM

3. Chris is not going away anytime soon. He wrote a Disney Channel pilot that is going to be shooting soon. He recently signed a book deal. This guy is crazy talented and will be around for awhile. I'm not a fan of his character on the show, but I'm a huge fan of his talent.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 14, 2011 2:47:18 PM

4. This will be great in that in keeps the show in short and sweet, instead of going on for years and years too long. It'll be bad in that I don't think the show can survive it and will be cancelled in the fourth season.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 14, 2011 3:00:26 PM

5. I wonder how they plan on replacing the characters. The main thing about glee is that they covered just about every type of kid out there. Any new character is just gonna seem like a replacement for the previous. And if a character goes and their type isn't replaced then that won't be good either. Everybody likes to be represented and Glee made everyone feel represented. Good luck on being original and true to form is all i can say.

Posted by: Donks | Jul 14, 2011 3:22:17 PM

6. @Donis - "Glee made everyone feel represented"? On behalf of black men, Hispanic men, urban high school students, jazz singers, country singers and classical musicians (and many other types, I'm sure) I'd just like to say "WOW"!

@Ryan - The show will go on for far longer than one more year. The revenues it pulls in from ITunes sales will keep it bouncing along for quite some time longer than the average show even if its viewership starts to fall.

Posted by: Buster | Jul 14, 2011 3:37:45 PM

7. This makes sense financially they don't have to give the kids a raise.

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 14, 2011 5:50:56 PM

8. This tv show is terrible. Good riddance to these losers. God hrlp us if that horrible actress gets the role of Fanny Brice here in NYC

Posted by: Kevin Thor | Jul 14, 2011 6:26:51 PM

9. Yes KEVIN THOR, if entertainment actually appeals to a large audience, then it must be terrible, right?

Posted by: David R. | Jul 14, 2011 8:14:33 PM

10. it's a school themed tv show.. they need to graduate so it's not a big deal…
    they'll find others who can do the job until they run out of ideas..
    if they continue with the same of the over the top cheesiness they won't have many seasons left anyway….

Posted by: chris keck | Jul 15, 2011 11:39:07 AM

11. I watched the show in the beginning, I like it, lost interest though, too busy ("The Good Wife" and "The Closer" are my ritual fav's).

I have mixed feelings about Fox Entertainment. I have openly gay friends working for the network, and it is a very open and progressive network. However it IS still a part of Rupert Murdoch's "empire." Owning all the news in Australia, Fox News, 60% of Sky News, a percentage of CNN, HULU, The WSJ, NY Post. LA TImes and after the scandal in which the CEO of News of the World in the UK hacked phones, and deleted the voicemail of a 13 year old kidnapped girl pleading for rescue, who was found murdered days later and NOW the FBI is investigating News Corp/Fox News into tapping the phones of 9/11 victims, I refuse to give any money/time to News Corp. "Glee!" or not.

Posted by: Cory | Jul 15, 2011 11:43:12 AM

12. I have two ideas: 1. they should do a glee club in collage that would be cool. 2. this is wat my friend came up with if they can't do a collage one they should do at the very end they should show how every one turned out like a preview like they say sam and then they show where he is and wat he is doing something like that

Posted by: Rachel | Mar 21, 2012 2:01:25 PM