Art and Design | Comic Books

Dark Starry Knight: Batman And Van Gogh Make A Great Tattoo Team

Batman_starrynight

Tattoos are hot. They're even hotter when they involve superheroes.

So, when are superhero tattoos hottest? When they merge Batman perched above Gotham City with Vincent Van Gogh's famous 'The Starry Night' painting from 1889, as in the image above.

If I met this man, I would melt faster than Clayface on a hot day.

Comments

1. That tat is seriously cool

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 2, 2011 4:08:21 PM

2. that is Cool

& I despise tats , so that says a ton on how cool it is

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | Jul 2, 2011 4:48:06 PM

3. Beautiful art ... fugly as a tat. Sorry, but that's what t-shirts are for! ;)

Posted by: MDK | Jul 2, 2011 4:52:09 PM

4. Very nice!!

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jul 2, 2011 4:54:47 PM

5. I'm a tatoo person and this is wonderfully original! Instead of dolphins and Chinese tattoo symbols!

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 2, 2011 5:21:47 PM

6. Not having a tattoo is way cooler. At this point they are in the domain of secretaries and Juggalos.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 2, 2011 5:37:26 PM

7. What's actually "way cooler" is having amazingly beautiful artwork permanently attached to your body. Tattoos are now the domain of your everyday savant.

Love it!

Posted by: JeffRob | Jul 2, 2011 5:46:59 PM

8. He must be hoping Batman is relevant in 30yrs or else he is just going to get a lot of "oh ya, I remember him."

Posted by: Tonez | Jul 2, 2011 5:54:36 PM

9. Anyone who's concern with how cool or uncool they are, or how many people have them or who is and who isn't getting them should definitely NOT get a tattoo.

A well-designed, well-placed tat is super sexy. Not sure Batman accomplishes that for me, but kudos on its unique qualities.

Posted by: Tonic | Jul 2, 2011 6:04:23 PM

10. Tattoos are not hot, an ugly, permanent trend that lasts a lifetime and looks gross when old. What are people thinking?!

Posted by: nikko | Jul 2, 2011 6:31:57 PM

11. That is a win.

Posted by: Complexmind | Jul 2, 2011 6:37:33 PM

12. And all you cool kids do not disappoint with your tattoo hate. I would no more tell someone that something looked horrible or that I despised something so much. Here's a shocker: people with tattoos can hear and see and don't really appreciate it. And guess what, your skin is going to look just as saggy and awful, except I'll have a great story behind mine.

Posted by: hodzer | Jul 2, 2011 7:05:59 PM

13. The human body itself is a work of art. Tattoos are like putting bumper stickers on a statue. They may be cute or cool or even pretty, but they just don't work within the compositions, and ultimately, are not aesthetic.

Posted by: Jeremy | Jul 2, 2011 7:40:56 PM

14. Still trying to understand the psychology of body mutilation.

Posted by: Kevin Thor | Jul 2, 2011 7:40:58 PM

15. I'd have to turn off the lights before I'd melt.

Posted by: David Groff | Jul 2, 2011 8:54:16 PM

16. "tats" are most definitely NOT hot

Posted by: Johnn | Jul 2, 2011 8:57:42 PM

17. My respectful opinion about tattoos is that it is like willingly renouncing the freedom of choice. Even if willingly, you are chained to an art composition at best. Even if it you consider it beautiful and that considerations last for years and years –and years after years until your death- it will be there beyond your choice. The wise guy knows that evolution is part of life, a thought that seems to be the upmost example of supine grace could turn out to be just a childish naïveté when grown up, if that evolution happens. If your heart can not stay the same, what use has a tattoo? If your heart can stay the same, what use has a tattoo? If you love a concept, a piece of art, whatever, you don’t need to consecrate it under your skin and obviously you can hoard them as much as you want outside a skin that can only hold some at best.
    Either way, in twenty years from now the real daring ones will be those who have not even one to show. A real rebellion against the trend I guess, like daring to be nude when everybody uses clothes, being “tattooless” will be challenging, such a statement. Fashion is always an ugly slaver, but one you can choose to dismiss. Not for those tattooed obviously.
    You don’t need tattoos to tell stories about them. You need a life to tell stories. And I guess –when old- it’s going to be easier to talk about them than to bare your body to begin the narration.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jul 2, 2011 9:07:07 PM

18. Nope. That looks stupid beyond words. As most tattoos do. Body mutilation as fashion. A cartoon character. Deep.

Posted by: Sean | Jul 2, 2011 9:58:40 PM

19. Tonez says... "He must be hoping Batman is relevant in 30yrs or else he is just going to get a lot of "oh ya, I remember him.""
    --------------------------------------
    Yeah, because Batman has just barely survived the last 72 years...

Posted by: yunin | Jul 2, 2011 10:11:10 PM

20. I think this looks corny... but I guess that's just my opinion.

Posted by: mike128 | Jul 2, 2011 10:16:51 PM

21. It's sad that none of you understand that tattoos are for the holder more than the beholder. As gay people, you'd think you would be more understanding of self-definition and self-determination.

Posted by: David R. | Jul 2, 2011 10:45:33 PM

22. Great colours, Me likee

Posted by: Von Lmo | Jul 2, 2011 10:55:28 PM

23. Tattoos are a like every other fad that comes and goes like bell bottoms except for the people that get them. They were cool in the late 40s and early 50s then having a tattoo became a white trash identifier for the next 50 or so years. It will happen again, have you ever seen an old tattoo? In 7 years the owner of this tattoo will just be some old queen with a faded tattoo and saggy skin that no one wants to look at in a tank top. Why not draw on yourself with sharpies at least they will wear off eventually.

Posted by: joeblow | Jul 2, 2011 10:59:50 PM

24. I hate to be "that guy", but is this really relevant news?

Posted by: Robert | Jul 3, 2011 12:29:37 AM

25. I found myself mesmerized by the nipple and forgot about the tattoo after a glance or two.

Posted by: Jack | Jul 3, 2011 1:47:39 AM