Bradlee Dean | Michelle Bachmann | News | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Christian Metal Rocker and Bachmann Ally Bradlee Dean Suing Rachel Maddow for $50 Million Over Remarks About Gays, Muslims

Dean

Bradlee Dean, a Christian Metal Rocker who runs You Can Run But You Cannot Hide Ministry, has announced that he is suing Rachel Maddow for $50 million (however, "money is not the issue" according to a press release from his attorney) for false accusations and defamation over remarks about homosexuals and Sharia Law which he says were misrepresented by Maddow.

Dean2 You may recall the segment in which Maddow aired the bit about Dean - it was about then candidate for Governor Tom Emmer and the Target boycott, and Emmer's donations to Dean's ministry.

Watch the segment of Maddow's show in which she discusses Dean (it starts at about 1:39), and Dean's response to the segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

Writes Dean's attorney in the press release:

In the course of his ministry, Dean once made a statement on radio criticizing his fellow Christians for not taking a stronger stand about the gay rights lobby promoting homosexuality in the schools. He made a strong reference to Muslims taking the issue more seriously in the context of Shariah law, but did not condone their practices. It was Bradlee's intent to focus attention on the issue, not to advocate harm to anyone.

Despite the very clear disclaimer by Bradlee Dean on his ministries website and elsewhere regarding the false accusation that he was calling for the execution of homosexuals, MSNBC's Rachel Maddow and others seized on and accused Dean on her show of supporting the killing of homosexuals, as is the practice in some radical Islamic countries. This seriously has harmed Dean and the ministry, who pride themselves on respect and love for all people.

Maddowdean Maddow actually did read Dean's disclaimer on the air following her segment. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

The other part of the press release explains that Dean is taking this action because he is a Michele Bachmann ally and Maddow and the left wing are out to bring her down:

In an interview earlier this year, MSNBC's president Phil Griffin admitted that the network, to boost its ratings, caters to the so-called "progressive left". This explains the malicious attacks on Bradlee Dean and his ministry, which are being used to harm the presidential campaign of Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, who is a conservative Christian.

In the past, Dean and his ministry have been complemented by presidential candidate Michele Bachmann (who prayed for the ministry) for their work in promoting values for the nation's youth. The left wing media's effort to defame Dean is an obvious way to try to harm Bachmann's presidential prospects, who they fear and despise. Other left wing media outlets have followed MSNBC and Maddow in their slanderous efforts. This suit may just be the first in a series of cases meant to protect the fine reputation of Dean and his ministry.

Finally, the press release says: "The lawsuit is filed by attorney Larry Klayman, the founder of Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch, in DC Superior Court and seeks in excess of $50 million in damages. However, money is not the issue. 'This case is filed as a matter of principle,' stated Klayman. 'We need more Bradlee Deans in the world and hateful left wing television commentators must be made to respect not only his mission but the law,' he added.

Dean and his attorney are holding a press conference tomorrow at 11 am in NYC, where they will speak.

Watch the segment of Maddow's show in which she discusses Dean (it starts at about 1:39), AFTER THE JUMP...

(thanks to Dave Evans for the clips!)

Dean's response to Maddow's segment, from back in October:

Comments

1. Well SLAPP my fanny and call me tort.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 26, 2011 8:25:22 PM

2. Excellent. The more people who know what kind of lunatics are in charge of the state of Minnesota, the better. It's nothing new that the christer crazies hate nothing more than being quoted fully, accurately and in context.

By all means, shine a spotlight on yourselves. Can Miss Marcus file the next lawsuit? I think there may be one or two shut-ins who still don't know he's a screaming queen.

Posted by: ohplease | Jul 26, 2011 8:30:23 PM

3. Unfortunately, even tho I think the suit has no merit, MSNBC will more than likely settle and pass money into the coffers of the haters.

Posted by: Talisman | Jul 26, 2011 8:34:26 PM

4. I love when the religious zealots confuse "love" and "hate," and by "love" I mean pray for and hope to expose their sins.

Posted by: Alpha | Jul 26, 2011 8:38:18 PM

5. the logic of his argument led impeccably to Bradlee's conclusion that Muslims were doing what religious people SHOULD do to gay people. And he denies saying it?? He doesnt' even understand his own words then.

But then, neither did Ronald Reagan or Bushboy.

Posted by: Danny | Jul 26, 2011 9:13:59 PM

6. If he could just hold in the crazy until Michelle Bachmann wins the nomination. And *then* let it all out!

Posted by: JJ | Jul 26, 2011 10:09:21 PM

7. I live in minnetonka, MN and I can tell you this guy is a lunatic. Recently, a bill came up to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Dean was invited by the Republicans to give morning prayer. Instead of respecting the role he was asked to perform, he wore a track suit and his prayer ended up being a hateful rant against Obama and anyone not "christian".

And why do the media insist on using a picture of him from like 1985?

Posted by: tim | Jul 26, 2011 10:20:10 PM

8. Maybe msn should not only not settle, but get this gay-hater's attorney santioned for a groundless suit??

Seems pretty clear tp me that "rocker" Bradlee dean not only thinks I shouldn't have the right to marry the love of my life, but that I shouldn't really have the right to exist--at all.

Rachel meadow said NOTHING false!! This loathsome lying "rocker" spews lie after lie-- resting somehow on Jesus and religion.

This is bizarre, malicious, and offensive. Oh, and I'm returning my last three purchases from target the moment I have a chance.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 26, 2011 10:39:29 PM

9. Thanks, Target!

Posted by: Jacknasty | Jul 26, 2011 10:41:32 PM

10. I hope it does go to court, where I imagine it will be thrown out. I revere Rachel Maddow, and I doubt she would be willing to settle.

Posted by: Abel | Jul 26, 2011 10:52:43 PM

11. I thought conservatives hated excessive lawsuits?

Posted by: Shawn | Jul 26, 2011 10:55:02 PM

12. Can you say "summary judgement" for the defendant? I knew you could.

Seriously, she reported the words he said, the denial he published and made it clear she didn't buy it. Hmmm a lesbian had an opinion that was different than a straight man's - I know, sue!

This is going to be thrown out of court faster than the time it takes for Newt Gingrich to settle on a replacement "wife." For one thing, by leading a public ministry, Dean makes himself a public figure, and under US law, it is nearly impossible to defame a public figure. Can he even claim damage to his reputation? He's a freakin' professional homophobe.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Jul 26, 2011 11:00:53 PM

13. While watching TLW last night; Lawrence O'Donnell said that one his guest would be filling in for Rachel for the remainder of the week. Now this story comes into play. Definitely not random IMO. First Keith; Uygur; and now Rachel who maybe be next.

Posted by: EnterTheGecko | Jul 26, 2011 11:15:07 PM

14. Msn is wrong if they punish Rachel in ANY way for this. Just sayin.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 26, 2011 11:23:14 PM

15. @JUST_A_GUY

I think you're right; but I'm starting to notice a trend here ever since comcast or Clear Channel bought the majority of MSNBC's stock. I get those two companies mixed up sometimes. Both tend to lean towards the right from what I have read; and been told.

Posted by: EnterTheGecko | Jul 26, 2011 11:31:22 PM

16. "... television commentators must be made to respect not only his mission..."

Must be made???? I thought respect was earned...

Posted by: Rucka | Jul 27, 2011 12:51:01 AM

17. Clearly, the point of his screed is that those muslims that callfor the execution of gay people are correct, and christians, like them should follow suit. They can't have anybody outdo them in hate you know. The discalmer is obviously said with a wink and a nudge.

Posted by: Ian | Jul 27, 2011 1:14:15 AM

18. GIVE EM HELL RACHEL
    UR ONE OF THE ONLY LIGHTS OUT THERE

UR GOOD ENERGY AND SMARTS ARE AWESOME!

Posted by: chytnia | Jul 27, 2011 1:44:52 AM

19. So now factually reporting what someone said, including what they said about what they said, is a problem?

The case should be dismissed with prejudice, and fine assessed against the lawyer for abusing the courts.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 27, 2011 1:46:55 AM

20. His lawyer can't even keep up with his profession, how is going to keep up with this lawsuit?

"As of July 1, 2011, Klayman's Pennsylvania law license was in "Administrative Suspension" status (usually indicative of a failure to pay bar fees and/or a failure to keep up with Continuing Legal Education requirements)."

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 27, 2011 1:47:26 AM

21. And as a singer, I don't have to talk ridiculously fast to the point where it's not musical at all, to show I have talent.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 27, 2011 1:51:00 AM

22. He has to start off with "but keep your hands off the children, America they are coming for your children"... Done. But later in the video you hear his anxiety fueled rant with maniacal laughter, and you realize he got in some trouble for being too hateful. I'm sorry that he needs me to be a child molestor to justify his hate, but I've never touched a child, people that do go to jail.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 27, 2011 2:10:48 AM

23. Uhmmm, New York Times v. Sullivan, public figure plaintiff bears the burden of proof showing actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth. Lemmme tell ya, NBC's lawyers are going to bury this twit on summary judgment. Maddow ran his full statement and disclaimer. Mr. Scarf around his Head is an idiot. And his lawyer is a fool.

Posted by: BobC562 | Jul 27, 2011 2:37:41 AM

24. is it just me or does this guy look a cousin to the lunatic in norway. remember we have probably more lunatic right wingers than there were in nazis germany and they are hate spewing as the nazis. one other point glenn beck compared the chilgren shot to hitler youth types isn't that what the pope was?

Posted by: walter | Jul 27, 2011 3:07:17 AM

25. I wish I could donate to the defence fund...

Posted by: corvidae | Jul 27, 2011 3:47:59 AM