Gay Marriage | New York | News | NY marriage equality | Theatre

Gay 'Avenue Q' Puppets to Marry at City Hall on First Day of NY Marriage Equality

I guess they won the lottery:

Avenueq Wedding bells will ring over at off-Broadway's Avenue Q on July 24. To celebrate the first day same-sex couples can legally marry in New York, the show's puppet characters Rod and Ricky will tie the knot at City Hall before the show's matinee.

"To have this finally happen for us—especially so soon after Will and Kate—is unbelievable to me," Rod said in a statement released by the production. "I realize there are a lot of broken hearts out there now that Ricky and I are off the market—step back, all you chorus boys!—but I've known since Day One that Ricky is the husband for me. He's the furry fellow I want to spend my life with both on and off the stage."

As I mentioned last week, the St. James Theatre, where Broadway's production of Hair is staged, will also host several same-sex weddings on July 25th, the day after couples begin marrying.

Comments

1. Whatever...

Posted by: NotFunny | Jul 21, 2011 8:25:21 AM

2. Yeah, gay puppets getting married totally doesn't belittle the cause.

Posted by: freddy | Jul 21, 2011 8:45:20 AM

3. Yeah, because what really doesn't help the cause are people who don't do anything, just sit online.

It's cute, take a chill pill.

Posted by: Arthur | Jul 21, 2011 9:27:06 AM

4. Shouldn't this go to a deserving real couple? I can already hear the public now..."and now puppets?" They're made up. They should've let real couples who've been waiting their lives to get the real benefits and protections of marriage get married on this historic day.

Not let it go for a publicity stunt.

Business avertising. It even gets all up into real life matters. Sigh.

Posted by: Robbie | Jul 21, 2011 9:32:36 AM

5. Congratulation Rod and Ricky! You guys have been together for-EVER!
    Yayyyyyyy!

Posted by: JimmyD | Jul 21, 2011 9:38:13 AM

6. Good one, Arthur. All I do is "sit online".

Sorry I can't get behind a promotional stunt riding a civil rights victory's coattails when said stunt is vaguely condescending of the import of the event.

Let me go take my "chill pill" and hope that Bert and Ernie are incentivized to now come out and have a huge televised wedding to make gay marriage palatable for the world.

Posted by: freddy | Jul 21, 2011 9:40:35 AM

7. But...they're puppets.? :/

Posted by: prophet | Jul 21, 2011 9:41:20 AM

8. The puppet-on-puppet sex during ave q is really hilarious.

Posted by: Eric | Jul 21, 2011 9:56:47 AM

9. Hope this is a joke when too many real couples are going to have to wait thanks to the lottery.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 21, 2011 10:01:11 AM

10. Regardless of the lottery, it's idiotic. It isn't cute, it's stupid. Oh look at the gays treating marriage like a big joke!

Posted by: Sam | Jul 21, 2011 10:05:58 AM

11. gtfo puppets

Posted by: flucht17 | Jul 21, 2011 10:27:58 AM

12. Love the S&M puppet!!

Posted by: Roseann | Jul 21, 2011 10:36:19 AM

13. Yes it does belittle the cause!!! Let's hope the morons who thought this would be humorous are just kidding.

Posted by: Ricky | Jul 21, 2011 12:55:30 PM

14. Many more silly stunts like this, and marriage equality in New York will come across like a side show! Oh, well, at least the mania will die down in a few weeks or so. Gay couples and Straight couples getting married without an excess of fanfare, and nobody getting bent out of shape, that's the ultimate goal.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jul 21, 2011 1:22:30 PM

15. I take note: Today is the day that so many gays lost any remaining sense of humor or fun.

Posted by: JimmyD | Jul 21, 2011 1:33:09 PM

16. Bert & Ernie from Seasme Street should get hitched!

Posted by: tom | Jul 21, 2011 1:41:17 PM

17. Such a stupid idea. This does nothing but give ammunition to anti-gay marriage groups claiming we're belittling the institution. Do something like this when we've all won. Not just a select few.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 21, 2011 4:48:17 PM

18. wedding balls will ring

Posted by: vv | Jul 21, 2011 6:03:59 PM

19. Absolutely no point to this than to promote the play---which I found pretty obvious/simplistic; the puppets were far more interesting to watch than the writing was to listen to---and obviously rubs a lot of people the wrong way. So it's a failed promotional effort.

That said, I wouldn't worry about them taking a space from a couple in the lottery. It's obviously not a real marriage. They're puppets, not people.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 21, 2011 10:46:23 PM

20. So does this mean FOMA was repealed?

Posted by: Brian | Jul 21, 2011 11:35:21 PM

21. No real couples were bumped for this publicity gimmick. *ALL* 823 couples that registered for the lottery have be given a slot on Sunday. Now lighten up, people.

Posted by: WayneInNYC | Jul 22, 2011 8:04:45 AM