Colorado | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | News

Two Gay Soldiers Attacked In Colorado

PoliceLights Two soldiers based at Fort Carson, Colorado, and their friends were reportedly attacked by homophobic bullies on Saturday.

The men, who would only give their first names, John and Ted, say they had been out at a gay club with friends, one of whom is a go-go dancer, and headed to a restaurant called Albert Taco for a late night snack when another group began hurling racial and homophobic invectives in their direction.

"As soon as we walked in, there was a group of [men] that walked in," said John. “And they started a confrontation with us because of the fact that one of our go-gos was still in his outfit.”

"[We] heard a lot of racial slurs [and] a lot of hatred slurs towards homosexuals," before the confrontation escalated into physical violence, John told local ABC-affiliate KRDO.

"I ended up getting kicked in the head and in the ribs several times. I have six bruised ribs. And my right eye was completely swollen shut for about nine or 10 hours," said the soldier. Another victim had to have his jaw wired shut.

Police, who are looking for the suspected assailants, will investigate the incident as a hate crime. The soldiers, meanwhile, plan on keeping their names out of the press because their homosexuality is "definitely frowned upon" at Fort Carson.

Comments

1. Technical question - just watched my emotional response, as a black man adn soldier, disappear from the comments page. Tried to use only respectful language and didn't curse or use objectionable outright, certainly didn't attack anyone personally.

As a technical matter, anyone know what could have happened to it. I saw it post, but now only see a few shorter responses I wrote. If I need to make sure not to do something in the future (use certain words, etc.) I'd like to know. That took a while to compose and i'm sorry it's gone. Thanks!

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 4, 2011 1:39:05 PM

2. Hey BreckRoy,

No problem. But I can tell you that 'round these parts when paleo-forensics created an image of Jeebus based on geography and timeframe, they might as well shown a goat's ass on the pair of shoulders. No one wants to believe Jesus looked like an Afro-arab.

Please consider:

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 1:48:47 PM

3. Colorado is *4% [!] African American. 4% ! What are the odds of running into a group of trouble making, racist African Americans, at a taco joint, at 3AM, in Colorado Springs, Colorado?! I mean seriously. These stories about racist African Americans assaulting people, especially in western states [the black population drops dramatically once you get out of a few southeastern states, AKA The Deep South, and is especially small in the west; even California has a proportionately small black population] always amaze me. Now rampant, random extreme violence in places with large black populations is common-place and no surprise, but Colorado?

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 4, 2011 1:49:47 PM

4. Am I the only who thinks it was stupid of that guy to go out in a go-go outfit? I obviously don't condone hate crimes, but c'mon, let's have some common sense in the interest of self-preservation!

Posted by: Chris | Jul 4, 2011 2:32:27 PM

5. what does the outfit anyone was wearing have to do with being attacked. the thugs who did it were just out to cause trouble. i have a friend who is a drag queen and walks around in drag and sometimes i fear for his safety but he doesn't. but people should be able to wear what ever and not have to put up with thugs. and people who fight for this country should be fear of attack in this country. time for the right wing to wake up and worry about the rights of the individual not just white middleclass.

Posted by: walter | Jul 4, 2011 5:28:54 PM

6. Hold the hell on! Gay SOLDIERS can't even fight back?!! When am I gonna read abt some freak homophobe attacking the wrong gay man and getting severely beaten?!!!!

Posted by: AJ | Jul 4, 2011 6:27:54 PM

7. There are no non-discrimination protections whatsoever for soldiers in the DADT repeal. When Nancy Pelosi pushed the issue in Spring 2010 and showed that she was moving forward with a repeal vote, Obama slow-rolling or not, Obama panicked and worked out the "compromise" vote that completely stripped non-discrimination protections from that bill.

So, even when DADT is actually repealed and gay men and women can serve openly, these soldiers will still have to give only first names when they're attacked by those not in uniform. As the soldiers said, their sexuality is "definitely frowned upon" at Fort Carson. I think this is a harbinger of the problems gay soldiers are going to face once the repeal is certified. With no non-discrimination protections in place, soldiers are going to have to take their abuse and quietly like it, or else they'll find themselves marginalized, mistreated and - YES - discriminated against because there's no policy in place to prevent that or give them recourse to officially object to it.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jul 4, 2011 8:53:40 PM

8. I thought soldiers were trained to be warriors, that's a damn shame.

Posted by: MickW | Jul 5, 2011 1:00:09 AM

9. Hi BRECKROY,

First, thanks for your very insightful comments and for your service to our country.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that several times in the past, and I've been reading this blog for some time now, that my comments too have disappeared and for seemingly no reason. I've sent requests for an explanation in the same manner but received no response. I'm not sure if it's a matter of mistaken deletion, an error on my own part or if I hallucinated my own posts, but it does seem to occur from time to time.

Because I'm not affiliated with the blog I wish I could give you a better answer, but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with your post. I have noticed that if you've edited yourself before posting, you do have to be wary of the Preview/Post note that follows and you must re-Post before entering the alpha-numeric to have your final post acknowledged. I hope that helps. Perhaps someone else may have another more precise answer.

Posted by: ESA | Jul 5, 2011 1:16:50 AM

10. The comments in this article are the reason why I, as a black man, will never feel at home in the mainstream gay community in America. Two gay men get beat up and the suspects happen to be black, and this forum turns into an indictment of the entire black race in America. You out there who do nothing but type generalizations about the black community, I want you to name one thing that you are doing specifically to reach out to the black community and change things. I'd love to hear something, anything, other then the comments on sites like these about how homophobic and violent black people are. But you can't do that can you. Most of the mainstream gay community doesn't have backbone enough to venture out of the comfort of their closets or the gay ghettos they live in to do anything short of lecturing the two gay black people they call friends about how rampant black homophobia is. If a white person is homophobic towards me I don't sit there and wait for another white person combat their homophobia. So then why is it the sole responsibility of black gay people to address homophobia of other black people?

Posted by: Frank | Jul 5, 2011 1:54:01 AM

11. I did some work for the military out at Ft. Carson in the very late 1980's and it was a fundamentalist church in Colorado Springs that got all of this crap started. This is where we need to fight back. Remember, you might get your a$$ kicked but it's gonna cost them.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jul 5, 2011 3:44:11 AM

12. Frank,
    I'm a white man and I'm ashamed and angered by the racism in the "mainstream gay comunity" too (if there really is one coherent community; sometimes I wonder). It really pisses me off. I'm also distressed by the generalisations and stereotypes made about Christians by many gay commentators on this and other websites/blogs.
    We're a diverse bunch, but we're all human and we ALL deserve respect and dignity. When we slander a whole group of people who co-identity (gay, bi, black, Asian, Christian, Muslim etcetera), we allow ourselves to be slandered and marginalised too.
    At least some of us are guided by love and respect fro others; I just wish we all were.

Posted by: Chaq | Jul 5, 2011 4:18:31 AM

13. Well I see some things haven't changed in Colorado Springs or Ft. Carson since I was there in the early 90's - fondly remembering Amendment 2 day (ugh). It's still about the racial name calling and bullying. Still a bunch of stupid rock heads.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 5, 2011 12:22:03 PM

14. i hate violence..but please, wear something other than a go go outfit when going to a restaurant, that isn't appropriate!

Posted by: jake | Jul 5, 2011 1:10:07 PM

15. Frank,

I grew up in majority minority neighborhoods, attended multicultural, diverse schools, and live in a 'diverse' neighborhood now. I don't have to prove I'm not racist to you.

As for the mainstream gay community having it's share of racist, well it has it's share of sexist, ageist, contempt and scorn for working class people [especially whites] is widespread, etc., There are also many in the black community and other communities who share these viewpoints.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 6, 2011 12:36:00 AM

16. I always find it fascinating that black Americans are vilified as a group with racist epithets whenever there is a news story like this but killers of gay men Jeffrey Dahmer, Aaron McKinney, Russell Henderson, and Michael Griffin; hate speecher Fred Phelps; and racist white people yelling the "N-Word" at Prop 8 rallies don't represent all of white humanity. Does Casey Anthony say something about all white mothers? Somebody please explain the logic disconnect.

Posted by: Cat in the Hat | Jul 6, 2011 1:31:14 AM

17. It is completely unacceptable that anyone be attacked because of their gender, race, LGBT status, or any other group identification.

That said, I wonder why it was relevant that two of the victims are soldiers - so important that the article was titled to emphasize that fact. Did the attackers make anti-soldier slurs too? How did the attackers know they were soldiers? Were they out drinking and clubbing in uniform? What does it have to do with this specific situation? Other than to grab the eye and pull in readers, I mean.

I think the focus of this article should be that gays were attacked, and exploration of how gays are still treated in the military should be the sole focus of an entirely different article.

Posted by: Denise | Jul 6, 2011 6:26:43 AM

18. Homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of Jehovah there4 it should be demolished,people with such habit should b approached in such a way that is Godly,since God is LOVE. I think its very unchristian and uncivilised to act in such manner. If we nef 2 draw people's soul away 4rm Hell then find ways and means to approach them with Love for LOVE ONLY CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.thanx

Posted by: Haze | Jul 29, 2011 1:32:18 PM

19. Homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of Jehovah there4 it should be demolished,people with such habit should b approached in such a way that is Godly,since God is LOVE. I think its very unchristian and uncivilised to act in such manner. If we nef 2 draw people's soul away 4rm Hell then find ways and means to approach them with Love for LOVE ONLY CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.thanx

Posted by: Haze | Jul 29, 2011 1:33:57 PM

20. Homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of Jehovah there4 it should be demolished,people with such habit should b approached in such a way that is Godly,since God is LOVE. I think its very unchristian and uncivilised to act in such manner. If we nef 2 draw people's soul away 4rm Hell then find ways and means to approach them with Love for LOVE ONLY CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.thanx

Posted by: Haze | Jul 29, 2011 1:34:46 PM

21. Sorry, going out with a "go-go'' outfit at 2-3 am, You are looking
    for trouble. I have no idea what he was wearing but any "outfit" your wearing coming out a gay club, is RED flag!!!
    Is it right, NO. But it's tough out there and we all know it.

Posted by: John | Nov 14, 2011 1:02:05 PM