|Music Sponsor:| | Adam Lambert | American Idol | Kris Allen | News

BigGayDeal.com

Adam Lambert Talks About Keeping Quiet in Idol's Closet: VIDEO

Lambert

In a preview of the upcoming VH1 "Behind the Music" special devoted to Adam Lambert, the Idol runner up talks about how out of control he felt regarding his image on American Idol, as the show forced him to remain closeted. The preview also deals with his close relationship with Idol winner Kris Allen.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The show airs on Sunday August 7 at 10 pm.

Comments

1. Why does he have a behind the music?

Posted by: james | Jul 29, 2011 12:22:01 PM

2. OK, that was completely interesting.

Posted by: OhpleaseMike | Jul 29, 2011 12:30:05 PM

3. So the exact opposite of everything he's said before about it. He's about as consistent as his music. Zing!

Posted by: nodnarb | Jul 29, 2011 12:35:14 PM

4. Adam Lambert is an incredibly handsome man but those damn ear rings ruin his look. A string of pearls and I'm looking at a manly Suzanne Pleshette and that's just plain sad. He loses all credibility for me.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jul 29, 2011 12:40:16 PM

5. Oh I love him... cant wait for his next record...and OF CORS he loose bcs america does not vote for gays.

Posted by: Roberto | Jul 29, 2011 12:42:14 PM

6. Thanks for posting this video now I don't need to watch the show.

This was the last season I voted on Idol and I followed my simple criteria - vote for the one I most want to do. Kris was it.

Posted by: Craig | Jul 29, 2011 12:43:30 PM

7. "Why does he have a behind the music?"

Posted by: bdr28 | Jul 29, 2011 12:46:45 PM

8. @OS2Guy – LOL

"a manly Suzanne Pleshette and that's just plain sad"

...or redundant

Posted by: rascal | Jul 29, 2011 12:57:33 PM

9. Adam's song What Do You Want From Me was a Top 10 song and his sing If I Had You was in Top 20.

Only a few of the Idols have had 2 songs in the Top 20.

Adam is also the first openly gay mainstream pop star to have a Top 10 song in 15+ years. I think Melissa Etheridge was the last openly gay until Adam to have a Top 10 song.

Adam also had a successful tour that was a lot of fun.

He sings great live and he danced provocatively with male dancers and kissed his male bandmate.

His first album did well too, debuting at #3.

Hopefully, he will do well with his second tour too.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 29, 2011 12:58:05 PM

10. Closeted on Idol?? Hardly.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 29, 2011 1:10:53 PM

11. And if you watch the clip, he doesn't contradict what he said earlier.

He isn't saying that Idol intentionally kept him closeted.

Just that he wasn't allowed to give interviews while people were speculating about his sexuality because none of the idols were allowed to give interviews during that time per policy.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 29, 2011 1:11:47 PM

12. He doesn't say anything in the video about being "forced" to remain in the closet by the show. He just states that you can not do individual interviews during the run of the show. How is that being forced to remain in the closet? He makes no mention of producers comments or suggestions to him during the show about how to handle press about him being gay. I don't follow Idol, so I'm not sure how many group interviews there are during the run of the season, but I'm sure no one was stopping him from addressing it in an interview if any took place during the run of the show.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 29, 2011 1:14:50 PM

13. "Why does he have a behind the music?"

"Having a headlining world tour that last six months and sells out 99% of seats in the US off your first album... usually helps."

Posted by: nodnarb | Jul 29, 2011 1:27:15 PM

14. "Yeh, but did he shoot himself up with loads of heroin and get carted off to the emergency room only to emerge from the brink of addiction with a triumphant comeback story?"

Yeah, that's generally what I associated the show with, but I don't think I've seen an episode since the Simpsons parodied it in Behind the Laughter.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 29, 2011 1:53:28 PM

15. I luv him, but it's time to tone down the bronzer. Can't Raja do something about it?

Posted by: Greg | Jul 29, 2011 1:55:29 PM

16. I have loved this guy as much as the owner of this blog from the minute he appeared on the show. I bought his album and saw his tour. He has the potential to be just huge, but gay men don't support him enough. They prefer to throw their support behind bags like Kathy Griffin and Lisa Lampanelli. Here we at last have a young, great looking, out proud, incredibly talented guy - and his conserts are filled with women, not gay men. If someone would explain to me why gay men don't support other gay artists - all they seem to do is trash them and get bitchy about things like their hair and earrings - I'd love to know.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 29, 2011 1:57:31 PM

17. Jim, really? Gay men need to be fans of a male singer instead of female comedians? Please keep me updated as more rules come in. Should I get a dog or a cat?

Meanwhile, I don't see the gay support of Lisa Lampanelli. I watched maybe two minutes of her unfunny comedy special and there were like eight midwestern, middle-aged gays in the audience. Not *quite* enough to generalize about all of us.

Posted by: RomanHans | Jul 29, 2011 2:12:13 PM

18. @jim Out and proud? How out and proud is it to first acceded to the demands of scum and lie about who you are, and then later whine about your choice in an interview?

As for support… I generally buy recordings and concert tickets to hear music and see performers I enjoy without regard for their orientation, though I confess I avoid "now I'm closeted, now I'm not" self-serving opportunists because I despise them regardless of talent.

Posted by: Bryan | Jul 29, 2011 3:01:54 PM

19. @RomanHans - I don't think Jim is saying we as gay men should support gay artists, whether we like them or not, just because they're also gay. BUT it does seem like gay men tend to act unnecessarily catty towards famous gay males who exhibit even slight effeminate behavior.

The Suzanne Pleshette/pearls remark (above) was shady. But this tends to be a common reaction. Apparently, if you don't find somebody entirely f*ckable then belittle them instead. Right? Adam has no credibility because he wears earrings? Pfft.

I don't even like Adam Lambert much but he tends to get piled on around the gay blogosphere. Unfairly so.

Maybe there will be another Kellen Lutz post to set the balance right...

Posted by: Steven | Jul 29, 2011 3:11:46 PM

20. He looks good minus the excessive bronzer.

I really hope I like his next album because I think he has the potential to be great but the last one was just ok. It would also be great to have an openly gay guy break that radio ceiling. He put a dent in it last time but if he does well it could help more gay artists to be open and successful in the future. US radio is still notoriously conservative and skittish when it comes to playing "the gay".

Misleading headline much?

Posted by: IAN F | Jul 29, 2011 3:22:02 PM

21. Pop music is now down to what 14 year old girls and gay men buy. Best selling albums only sell about 25% of what they did 15 years ago.

Posted by: anon | Jul 29, 2011 3:28:34 PM

22. @Steven-You are right on the money about the derision Adam is getting being largely based on his perceived femininity. If he looked like Ben Cohen, I doubt we would be reading even a tenth of the bitchy comments we're seeing here, if any at all.

Posted by: Wilkby | Jul 29, 2011 4:43:19 PM

23. Wilkby - you are right. If he looked as manly as Ben Cohen the comments would be much more positive and his fan base would be huge. I, for one, am turned off each time I look at him - but I do like to hear his music.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jul 29, 2011 5:48:54 PM

24. Bryan - You must be referring to Clay because at no time did Adam ever deny he's gay or tried to hide it. You've got it twisted.

And OS2Guy, I think the issue is yours and not Adam's. The hate that a lot of gay men have towards gay guys that are anywhere near being effeminate makes me angry. We need to get over it.

And Greg - have you seen Raja's makeup? She is the last one you should be asking to tone down the bronzer

Posted by: Chris | Jul 29, 2011 6:07:46 PM

25. OK, bronzer: no. But give him a little credit. He knows very well that if he cut his hair short and didn't wear makeup, he'd have a lot more fans---including (perhaps especially) gay men. But he does it anyway, because he enjoys it. To the point where he probably lost Idol over it.

And the reason album sales are down is because everyone steals music. Duh. That's why concert tickets are so expensive.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 29, 2011 6:49:17 PM