Crime | GOProud | Guns | Jimmy LaSalvia | News

BigGayDeal.com

GOProud's Jimmy LaSalvia Discusses Anti-Gay Attack on Him, Says Gays Carrying Guns Would Prevent Them: VIDEO

Goproud_lasalvia

GOProud's Jimmy LaSalvia, who was the victim of an alleged anti-gay attack earlier this week, talks to MSNBC's Thomas Roberts about why he thinks that gays carrying guns (and not legislation) are the way to prevent similar hate crimes, Think Progress reports.

LaSalvia told the Washington Blade that the group who attacked him fled when they thought he might be carrying a gun in his jacket.

LaSalvia also talks about the group's courtship of Michele Bachmann, but would not confirm that the group had actually secured a meeting with her.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Gay men should carry guns-we have as much right to protect ourselves as anybody else- shooting a gay bashers in the balls will help clear up their point of view ( well at least it will prevent them from breeding)

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 22, 2011 5:32:43 PM

2. it's just so sad....i mean, the boys of GOProud are CLUELESS>

remember Matt Hissey, the stereotypical gay boy who hates stereotypical gay boys?

HILARIOUS.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 22, 2011 7:19:00 PM

3. I find it quite disturbing that anyone would make a political matter (him, or anyone here) out of defending one's life or the life of a loved one against being bashed or even killed.

There's nothing "Democrat" or "Republican" about defending yourself against people that would lay a hand on you. Malcolm X knew this, and gay people continue to ignore the lessons learned because "it sounds Republican"??? Please.

Let some thug lay a finger on me or my guy in public. It won't end well for them, and you all can debate and call me names on internet forums all day and night if you like. Have at it. But should something happen, we're both going home at the end of the day in one piece. And I suggest gay men and women learn self-defense and take pride in your freedom to walk the streets safely without fear of being killed, because this crap is happening way too often and it's only going to get worse. So don't tell me to roll up in a little ball and take it, because I'm not, and no one else should.

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Posted by: Greg | Jul 22, 2011 8:00:06 PM

4. jews supporting hitler, gays supporting bachmann is this a case of history repeating itself and people not learning from history.

Posted by: walter | Jul 23, 2011 1:18:54 AM

5. Let's get one thing straight - an attack on any member of GOProud is PRO gay.

Look out Jiminy - I'm packin' ! Look at me the wrong way and I may have to 'defend' myself.

Posted by: Carl | Jul 23, 2011 2:09:25 AM

6. This guy's politics aside, there is NOTHING wrong with gay men learning to defend themselves.

Frankly, I'm tired of reading/hearing about gay men getting beat up/killed by anti-gay thug monsters.

I'm looking forward to the day when I read about a gay man who was attacked by some thug and the gay man pulled out a gun and shoots the bastard.

Posted by: elg | Jul 23, 2011 8:28:31 AM

7. @Little Kiwi. I agree with you 100% You are awesome.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Jul 23, 2011 10:37:49 AM

8. What an idiot!! I'm proud that I don't have a gun. Is this what conservatives mean when they want less government, no legislation just let everyone carry a gun and make their own laws?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 23, 2011 12:53:26 PM

9. Why not tell people they can carry mase or pepper spray, or if they can afford one a stun gun?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 23, 2011 1:01:46 PM

10. Pink Pistols: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Pistols

Posted by: Corey Mondello | Jul 24, 2011 2:51:24 PM

11. this man is a embarrassment to the GLBT community I do hope it was a lesbian that punched him for being a trader! wake up GOProud you have more gay enemy's than straight ones

Posted by: Richard Golden | Dec 20, 2011 8:03:10 AM