Mel Gibson’s Gay Brother Breaks Silence, Says Mel’s No Homophobe

Andrew_gibson

Mel Gibson has an adopted, estranged gay brother according to the Sunday Times of Australia. Andrew Gibson gives the paper an interview defending Mel's past homophobic statements.

Andrew says that when Mel said in a 1991 interview, "With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?" he didn't mean anything offensive.

Said Andrew: "He's a straight man and he was illustrating that fact. In the same way a gay man wouldn't want to have sex with a woman. He never meant to upset anyone. I have never once heard anything anti-gay come out of his mouth….(Coming out) was one of the most terrifying things I have ever done. I was 22. When I told my dad he cried and blamed himself he felt he had done something wrong. That broke my heart and I told him it wasn't my fault. I think they all suspected. I was at a family dinner at Aria restaurant when I told Mel. He just said, 'It's not my choice, but I love you and you're my brother'."

He tells the paper that he has spent more than 10 years in "tumoil" with his family but has since made contact.

"I distanced myself and they didn't come after me. It was a very difficult time. They didn't like my choice of boyfriends they wanted me to go out with a Country Road queen and I like strong, dangerous men."

Comments

1. Devin Gray says

You are an adult and you can tell yourself whatever you choose to believe. You’re brother is misogynistic, homophobic, and hates Jews.

2. Ricco says

“It’s not my choice . . . ” meaning what exactly, that had it been left up to him it is not the choice he would make?

Duh!!!

Meaning what, that his younger brother made the wrong choice? Serious, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Mel has finally become irrelevant. He is old and he has lost his looks, and he has uttered one homophobic, misogynistic, racial slur too many for someone who has lost his leading man looks, and he and his PR crew are trying to revive his image any way they can.

I never even knew he had a brother. So they trot the gay brother out from nowhere, and because he is gay the rest of us are supposed to buy a super-sized dollop of sh*t?

Gay kids everywhere thank you, bro, for selling them lies and confusion, but the adults in the room know a bigot when they see one.

3. Mark says

How sad. Here he is, an adult man, describing how he’s been estranged from his family for a decade because of what sounds like homophobia. But he can’t stand up for himself and acknowledge that his brother is famously homophobic?

4. says

Days late and zillions of dollars short. Just because he was relatively nice to his adopted brother (who was rejected by the family as a whole) doesn’t mean his words and deeds towards gays Jews (the list goes on and on) is anything less than hateful.

Still this is all academic as Mel’s superstar career is over.

5. Eric says

“They didn’t like my choice of boyfriends they wanted me to go out with a Country Road queen and I like strong, dangerous men.”

Doesn’t take much effort to imagine these exact words (or, at least, the homophobic sentiment behind them) coming from Mel’s own mouth.

6. jason says

Look, I know a lot of gay men who like to go out with dangerous types. It adds unpredictability to the relationship yet can be very fulfilling to those who prefer to live under such circumstances. Keep in mind that women sometimes choose male partners who are edgy and anger-prone.

As for Mel, I don’t think he is overtly homophobic. Perhaps he’s been indoctrinated by the homophobic Catholic Church but, on an instinctive level, Mel doesn’t come across as homophobic.

A friend of mine used to fraternize with Mel about 33 years ago in Australia, just before he hit the big time in Mad Max. He says Mel would often mingle with the luvvy theatrical males and would have absolutely no issue socializing with them. There was no real evidence of homophobia in Mel Gibson back then.

The interesting thing my friend pointed out is that he thought Mel seemed to be on the edge a lot of the time. Thus, even as a young adult, he appeared to be “unusual”.

7. jomicur says

There’s a big difference between saying you’re not gay and snarking “Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?” A BIG difference. If this is the best Mel’s PR team can come up with, he needs to find a better one.

8. anon says

Mel’s masochistic fantasy films (just about 70% of his output) do cater to the B&D crowd, gay or str8, so perhaps he’s right. Mel is mostly anti-Semitic like his neo-Nazi father and the Rome-is-too-nice Conservative Catholic Church that he belongs to. I suspect everyone had a rough time in that family.

9. ratbastard says

Mel Gibson provided work and $ for MANY people in the entertainment industry, including MANY gays and Jewish people. He made not only himself, but others, wealthy, again including gays and Jewish people.

It’s impossible to operate and work in the entertainment industry like he does without having a great deal of interaction with gays and Jewish people, and he did it for decades. Who are these gays and Jewish people he worked with? Ask them if he treated them rudely, denied them work, etc.

The man obviously has a substance abuse problem. And I’ve know people who speak bluntly and say things especially when they’re drunk or high but I know they aren’t bad people. I know many people who say things when they’re angry or stressed, but I know them well enough to know they aren’t bad people.

There is not a single person reading this, gay, str8, white, Hispanic,black,Asian, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, whatever, who hasn’t used ‘bad’ language and slurs [especially when they’re angry or drunk, etc.] and everybody knows this. The worse offender I’ve ever met was a wealthy Russian Jewish businessman I knew who hated EVERYBODY, and wasn’t shy about ever letting anybody know. Now he was a genuine hater.

And I’m not a particular Gibson fan [his work] and am certainly not an ultra-conservative Catholic [99% of Catholics aren’t]

10. ratbastard says

Gibson was referring OF COURSE to EFFEMINATE gay men when he asked did he talk like ‘them’, etc. No doubt all actors and other males in the entertainment industry must be sensitive to this issue. And when I first came out I was very sensitive to the fact I’m not effeminate, don’t speak with a ‘gay’ affectation, and so-on. EVERYBODY reading this knows exactly what I’m talking about here.

11. Abel says

I haven’t seen Gibson in anything except mug shots for a long time, but he’s only 55 or so, when many Hollywood actors (though not usually the actresses) are still going strong. It’s a real shame he’s messed up so badly. But he sure has. I wonder about this suddenly produced gay brother, however.

12. walter says

another attempt to rehabilitate mel gibson and keep him from looking like the total self absorbed asshat he is. won’t work. how mant days till his next major melt down?

13. Bruno says

This is like when Christine O’Donnell’s lesbian sister scoffed at the preposterous notion that she’s a homophobe. Next thing you know, Tony Perkins’ first cousin once removed will publicly question why anyone thinks he’s anti-gay.

14. TonyJ says

It’s always amusing to see Ratbastard’s comments (typically inflammatory and generally irrational)….

Yes, Mel is a homophobe, an anti-semite, and somewhat mentally ill.

He remains a jerk who deserves no one’s support…. (sorry to see his ‘brother’ defending the indefensible)

15. Russ says

Alcohol is not a truth serum. We wouldn’t need courts, if that was the case. It removes filters & what we would normally edit as offensive comes spilling out. This is what happens with folks who have dementia (know any elderly or late stage cancer/AIDS patients?). The offensive sticks in your head because it’s OFFENSIVE & shocking. The butterflies & lollypops, not so much. Not to claim Gibson & Galliano aren’t arrogant pricks, but they clearly have a substance abuse problems. Go to any bar, gay or otherwise, & witness the drunken rants. Not respectful or considerate, is it? Boxes are neat & nice, but that’s what we’re trying to get out of, right?

16. bobbyjoe says

Mel Gibson’s brother conveniently leaves out the first part of the anti-gay comment he cites from Mel Gibson. Mel didn’t just say “Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?” He starts that same quote by saying ““They take it up the *ss. This is only for taking a sh*t [pointing to his butt].”

Gee, I wonder why Andrew Gibson decided to leave out that part of the quote? Might it have made it just a wee bit harder to say his brother wasn’t being pointedly homophobic?

17. Tyler says

It doesn’t sound like the family took it too well. He said the father blamed himself. And then Andrew Gibson felt he had to estrange himself. Which is pretty typical for many gays who come out to certain families. If the Gibson was ultra cool I don’t think that Andrew would’ve felt the need to distance himself. As for Mel’s rant. Who really cares. I’m sure for the most part he’s not like that 24/7. We say things in the heat of anger attacking certain groups and not mean it. I guarantee about 95% of the people on this board have uttered something offensive recently not realizing that if they were a public figure it’d come back to haunt them.

18. says

Regardless, no matter who comes to Mel Gibson’s defense—his brother, Jodie Foster, whatever short-sighted gay he can bribe for support—the evidence that he is raging maniac is too overwhelming to deny. If a person does not make a racist, homophobic, sexist, anti-Semitic, or otherwise belligerent comment to you personally, that does not necessarily mean he or she is a still a worthwhile person. One can rely on lived experience, or one can open their eyes to reality. Mel Gibson’s nuts.