Music | News | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

This Week's Susan Boyle: VIDEO

Chang

Cindy Chang is the latest contestant to blow the roof off America's Got Talent..

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

As a side note to the performance, Reality Blurred notes:

"But Cindy Chang is also an stage and screen actor who is a member of SAG, AFTRA, and AEA, and she has an agent, who promotes her on its web site and says she’s been singing since she was 8 years old. Her resume shows that she’s on the cast album for a production called Asphalt Beach, and she’s been in more than 15 stage productions and two films, including Baby on Board."

So, take the latest Susan for what you will.

Comments

1. I'm happy for her.

Posted by: MLH | Jul 1, 2011 8:16:43 AM

2. Poor Cindy Chang isn't gonna go far singing opera, except in front of unsophisticated crowds that don't really like opera to begin with. She can't breathe! You can hear her sucking in air ... and that's with a microphone!

Posted by: TJ Parker | Jul 1, 2011 8:37:36 AM

3. Hideous

Posted by: yunin | Jul 1, 2011 8:42:31 AM

4. Nothing special there. Susan Boyle did have a lovely, naturally-placed voice (of limited marketability, but a voice nonetheless) - this singer has too heavy a vibrato, and there are TONS of people out there who can do this material better. "O mio babbino caro" was basically a freshman's aria in college, and the college I attended wasn't exactly an opera powerhouse.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Jul 1, 2011 8:49:33 AM

5. You can achieve the same effect of olive oil with hot water and honey. Yuck. But maybe I just say that because she seems more than a little nutty.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 1, 2011 8:55:07 AM

6. Can an AFTRA member appear on a program like this and not be paid at least scale without losing their membership? Or maybe AGT contestants are paid scale? (I know Survivor contestants are paid weekly)

Posted by: Paul | Jul 1, 2011 9:24:27 AM

7. Uhhhhh sorry- I couldn't make it past the first note in her song. I hate over-the-top vibrato. It's unprofessional, ugly, and shows weakness in ones voice. Not to mention that this initial note I stopped at was being funneled completely through her nose. Nasal and full of shaky, non-stop vibrato? Ugh no thanks. It's why I can't stand Sarah Brightman and Christina Aguilera and this woman is no different.

Do NOT equate this woman to Susan Boyle. Susan Boyle's voice was rich, strong, non-nasal and clear. There is no comparison.

Posted by: AedanCRoberts | Jul 1, 2011 9:42:27 AM

8. IMHO, this year's AGT is shaping up to be a mess. With all due respect, this woman cannot sing and is NOT another Susan Boyle. There will never be another Susan Boyle. I really enjoy listening to Susan Boyle sing regardless of her "limited marketability". One could say that all singers have limited marketability. I venture Cindy has no marketability but I admire her courage to get up on that stage.

Posted by: gary | Jul 1, 2011 9:46:06 AM

9. I can't believe all the hateful comments!

That just goes to show you most gays are hateful, bitchy queens.

Do me a favor, folks. Don't represent me at any GLBTQ or Pride event because I do not want to be lumped together with you.

Thank you.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 1, 2011 10:01:11 AM

10. WOW where is all the love? Cindy Chang was amazing and what a beautiful spirit. Re-watch her if you didn't see it at first. This lady has real talent

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 1, 2011 10:15:25 AM

11. She was amazing. The haters can suck it!

Posted by: Bobby | Jul 1, 2011 10:37:09 AM

12. She seems like a lovely lady with a beautiful spirit and all...but she's not a singer!

Posted by: me | Jul 1, 2011 10:53:04 AM

13. Proof comment sections (esp on gay blogs) can be filled with grade-A a$$holes.

I thought Cindy was wonderful. If that makes me unsophisticated, then I'm happy to not be associated with stuck up jerks (i.e., TJ Parker).

Posted by: Chuy | Jul 1, 2011 10:53:36 AM

14. We're giving our honest opinion on the subject. You like her? Good for you.

I thought her bubbly, over-the-top, manic disposition was hard to watch and her singing was like someone trying to impersonate an opera singer with none of the training or natural ability.

Also- yes: getting up in front of a theater full of people and getting filmed for national audiences is brave- but lets not make this more than it is. Susan Boyle had never been in front of a camera before. She was genuinely a completely new figure to the stage. This woman, if the description of her life below the video is to be believed, has been doing this since she was eight years old.

She's been doing stage performing and singing for years. It also calls into question the sincerity of her claims that her family "has not let her sing" since she's obviously been doing just that.

Good for her REGARDLESS of all of this- but there is just so much about this video that makes it uninspiring to me.

That woman who did the impersonations? Loved her. Her quirky, bubbly attitude was wonderful- not cloying like this lady- and her impersonations were brilliant. This lady can't sing any better than your average person- and while that's perfectly fine it's not exactly noteworthy in any regard. And with the knowledge of her history neither is her capability to get up in front of potentially millions of people.

Posted by: AedanCRoberts | Jul 1, 2011 11:13:41 AM

15. I agree she has many technical problems that have been covered in other comments, but the reality is this.. This is AGT and not an audition for the Met. If people enjoyed it, good for them.

Posted by: dk | Jul 1, 2011 11:30:34 AM

16. Yeah, um, no. She did an approximation of singing opera. If it makes her happy, fine. But please don't call me a hater just because I can't sing her praises.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 1, 2011 11:34:12 AM

17. All vibrato/no note.

Sorry - that isn't singing, operatic or otherwise.

Posted by: PixelWizard | Jul 1, 2011 11:36:57 AM

18. I heard nothing wrong with her, she sang beautifully and seemed genuinly sweet...grow up people.

Posted by: Gay American | Jul 1, 2011 11:38:26 AM

19. She has singing ability but she definitely needs technical training if she's going for opera.

As for the olive oil, I certainly hope it's not coating her vocal chords, because that would mean she aspirated into her wind pipe.

Posted by: RJ | Jul 1, 2011 12:29:46 PM

20. This is absolutely ridiculous. Could we for once get a real opera singer, of which there are hundreds that could blow the roof off that aria instead of these popera wanna-bes? I have degrees in music. This performance is only notable for the story of the performer, not the performer.

Posted by: countervail | Jul 1, 2011 12:31:06 PM

21. Yeah, why all the hate? If this is all this woman gets to do in her singing career, then at least she had the opportunity to have her moment to shine. We should all be that lucky. She's doing something that she loves and she obviously managed to touch a bunch of people in the process. And if some other kid has gained an ounce of courage to pursue their dreams in the face of parental pressure, then maybe her appearance here did it's job. Just be happy for her!

Posted by: Tom | Jul 1, 2011 1:25:36 PM

22. if you want to see a professional opera singer (dancer, comedian, etc.) go to the theatre. All of the blabbering about awful a few snobs thing this woman is is annoying. These are novice performers trying out a skill to a general audience.

Posted by: Trust | Jul 1, 2011 1:26:50 PM

23. @Robert: "That just goes to show you most gays are hateful, bitchy queens" says a lot more about you than about anyone else. I'd say 95% of my friends are straight, but that doesn't mean I hate all gay people or that I view the world through such a poisonous lens. Maybe you need to get out more.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 1, 2011 1:33:46 PM

24. I don't know a lot about opera, but she sounded fine to me--maybe not Met quality, but she'll definitely nail the "popera" sound (Boccelli, Russell Watson, Josh Groban, etc.) and make a nice fistful of cash. So she's not Price, Sills, Upshaw, Fleming, etc.; to 90% of America, that won't make a darn bit of difference. More power to you Cindy, and good for you for grabbing at your dream!

Posted by: Dback | Jul 1, 2011 2:22:00 PM

25. @DBACK

You sure do know a lot of Opera singers for someone who doesn't know a lot about Opera.

I would have liked the performance better if the intro hadn't been so contrived. "Oh gee look at me, I'm just so darn cute!" Blah I would like to hear her sing something else before I decide if I like her or not. That particular performance didn't win me over.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 1, 2011 3:00:48 PM