Andy Cohen | Books | News

Bravo's Andy Cohen Scores Seven-Figure Advance for Memoir About Career, Coming Out

UPDATED BELOW

Bravo Executive VP and Watch What Happens Live host Andy Cohen is penning a memoir, and has scored a huge advance for it.

Andy_cohen Here's the book's synopsis, from its publisher, Henry Holt and Company:

"Growing up in the suburbs of St. Louis, Mo., Cohen knew two things about himself: that he loved popular culture and that, around the age of 12, he was gay. He suppressed the latter and fed the former. His media diet was a steady stream of 70s shows like 'The Brady Bunch,' 'Laverne & Shirley,' and 'Donny & Marie.' He had a passion too for the medium's stars like Farrah Fawcett, Mary Tyler Moore and Susan Lucci, many of whom he would later meet. By his twenties, he was out of the closet and out of St. Louis.  In 1989, his life changed forever when he landed an internship at CBS News in New York. With his irrepressible personality and sky's-the-limit attitude, over time he went from intern to producer, absorbing everything he could about the industry and the guest stars on the network’s morning show. His book will include many hilarious moments of mishaps on the set and while on assignment, and tell of his coming-of-age social life filled with antics and mayhem."

Cohen writes: "This is something I've always wanted to do and, if you've read this blog much over the past seven years, you know that writing is something I enjoy. And, yes, I will write every word of it, I don't know how I could settle for anything less than writing it myself. I started last weekend and have much work to do (understatement) before it comes out next summer."

The Hollywood Reporter adds: "Cohen is repped by CAA. Terms of the deal were not announced, though Cohen reportedly received a six-figure advance for the book."

UPDATE: "Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Cohen, the rare Hollywood executive who pulls double-duty as on-air talent, received a low seven-figure advance for his untitled memoir announced earlier Monday by Henry Holt for publication in summer 2012."

Comments

1. I love this guy and I am happy for all his success.

I wish Bravo would let us watch WWHL from Italy but until than I have to settle for the few videos of him I can find on Youtube.

I really think he is adorable and can't fathom how he is still single.

He has the best smile ever.
    It puts me in a good mood just to look at him smile and he smiles a lot.

And yes I know I sound silly but please let me. :)

ANDY in an interview on YT you mentioned this blog (that's how I found it) so if you are still reading it PLEASE don't block videos on Bravo for people outside the US. :)

Posted by: Italian Guy | Aug 9, 2011 8:45:03 AM

2. The people on this thread are killing me! Especially JeffNYC who seems to think that working at a TV network is some sort of amazing feat. As a matter of fact, I HAVE worked at a TV network (one that gets higher ratings than Bravo at that), and I was the co-creator of a network property (none of these things are created by an individual). It's just a job. There's nothing remotely special about the people who work there, and most of the execs are corporate a-holes and celebrity hanger-ons.

Andy Cohen is just narcissistic enough that he placed himself on-air. And now he's penning a memoir. Honestly, if you think any of those things are enough to get excited about, you have extremely low expectations of people.

Posted by: nodnarb | Aug 9, 2011 9:22:46 AM

3. Who the hell watches Bravo? I couldn't even name a show on that network. I think the last time I watched anything on it was Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Seriously, who is Cohen, why is he important, and why would anyone want to read his memoir?

Those who sit around watching Bravo are a bunch of self-absorbed navel-gazers. Get a life.

Posted by: B-rod | Aug 9, 2011 9:48:28 AM

4. This sounds really fishy. A million dollar advance for a book with utterly narrow appeal? How will they recoup? Or is this a quid pro quo for some other kind of deal?

I mean, seriously, who is going to buy this book? I'm a big homo who watches all the Housewives shows and I wouldn't get it on Kindle, let alone hardback.

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 9, 2011 9:52:11 AM

5. For those who keep wondering who Andy is there is this great piece on him in the NYT: http://tinyurl.com/43uznq5

Posted by: Italian Guy | Aug 9, 2011 10:49:25 AM

6. Some people run networks, host late night TV shows and write books. Others post comments on towleroad.
    The whole unbelievable "artists and scientists deserve to write memoirs and media types don't" concept is absurd. Can't wait to read My Life as a Whiney Commenter on Towleroad.

Posted by: tc | Aug 9, 2011 11:29:36 AM

7. Finally, a revealing glimpse into the gritty world of rich, gay gentry.

Posted by: Philippe | Aug 9, 2011 11:48:35 AM

8. He's writing a book. A book that people will buy. And while I'm sure he is many of these things, you don't have to be smart, memorable, influential, lifesaving, important to write a memoir. You just need to sell a book that people will read. Cohen can do that. The publishers know that, thus the huge advance. Strike while the iron is hot, I say. Make your bank when and where you can. Good for him. And incidentally, Andy Cohen has been nothing but nice to me. I'll buy his book.

Posted by: bob | Aug 9, 2011 12:31:49 PM

9. Seriously, I have never heard of the guy, and I live in LalaLand. Who's going to buy his book?

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 9, 2011 1:06:09 PM

10. @Bob

How did you meet him?
    Tell us more..please :)

Posted by: Italian Guy | Aug 9, 2011 2:41:32 PM

11. It doesn't matter if he is straight or gay, he has put whiny, materialistic pathetic people (at leat in his Housewives series) and showcased them. Some people actually look up to them. They showcase materialism, and poor values. This guy has made money -- and achieved success but at the cost of more sleazy TV-- that is what people dont like about him.
    For the record, I have built three highly successful businesses and am certainly not jealous of this guy or would want to be like him in any way.

Posted by: Kurt | Aug 9, 2011 5:16:44 PM

12. I don't think this is a book I would even pick up and look through. He's just not that interesting. It's not me being bitter-it's me being truthful. I've tried to watch his show on Bravo and frankly, it's boring.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Aug 9, 2011 7:40:22 PM